The Official Movie Thread

Everyone needs to watch Snowtown. It can't remember a film that rattled me so much since Irreversible. My review:

Australian cinema continues to prove it is now one of the world's most vital and exciting, yet also underrated, scenes in the world. 'Snowtown' is the latest gem to emerge from an unknown director and unknown cast, following on from 2009's 'Samson and Delilah' and 2010's 'Animal Kingdom', both of which were close to, if not THE, best films released in their respective years.

'Snowtown', conversely, is not the best film you will see this year. It is fragmented and unnecessarily difficult to follow, in both story and speech (non-Australian viewers will want subtitles!). It also suffers from an unnecessary amount of "camera shaking for the sake of being uncommercial" syndrome.

But you will not see many more important films this year. Certainly, you will not see a more unsettling one. 'Snowtown' tells the true story of John Bunting, Australia's worst serial killer, an affable and charismatic 'everyman' who draws those around him into unspeakable acts of sadism. As a conoisseur of all things horror/exploitation/arthouse/perverse, unsettling me is no easy task. But 'Snowtown' shook me to the core. The setting and characters - essentially the Australian equivalent of white trash living in a shithole small country town - are unconfortably familiar to me. But above all, it's the fact that this is a movie which avoids taking liberties with the truth and is presented with such naked realism that strikes me like a blow to the stomach. The violence is confronting, certainly, but no worse than many countless other movies released each year. It's the way in which the film brings us into the intimate lives of the individuals involved, before making us part of the horrors lying not far beneath the surface of their otherwise mundane lives. It is the closest thing to "being there" that I've seen on the screen, and that's what truly messes with you.

Daniel Henshall's simultaneously warm and terrifying portrayal of John Bunting is also worth a mention as of one the best performances of the year.

Just watched Dr Strangelove and enjoyed most of it. I understand the message and the male sexual war machine connotations but I still don't know why the movie is called Dr. Strangelove? is it the comedy in the name itself? the male species having a strange love for it's own destruction? fuck!

Anyone care to explain?

Just watched Dr Strangelove and enjoyed most of it. I understand the message and the male sexual war machine connotations but I still don't know why the movie is called Dr. Strangelove? is it the comedy in the name itself? the male species having a strange love for it's own destruction? fuck!

Anyone care to explain?

The complete movie's title is: "Dr. Strangelove, or: how I learnt to stop worrying and love the bomb", that's why. It's an illusion to that. One of the best movies ever btw.

The complete movie's title is: "Dr. Strangelove, or: how I learnt to stop worrying and love the bomb", that's why. It's an illusion to that. One of the best movies ever btw.

Learned. and I think you mean it eludes to that. Either way, you make no sense, and you didn't explain why a character in maybe 15 minutes of the movie is in the movie title.

Normal Life - Sucked until Ashley Judd started showing her teats and then it only sucked less. Impossible to believe the main characters relationship therefore rendering the whole thing moot.

The Motorcycle Diaries - Interesting enough if not a little slow.

Waltz With Bashir - animated film involving the massacre during the Lebanese war in the 80s. Pretty interesting stuff. The animation and colors were pretty freaking awesome. Depressing though. Learned something new

Learned. and I think you mean it eludes to that. Either way, you make no sense, and you didn't explain why a character in maybe 15 minutes of the movie is in the movie title.

I wanted to write ALLUSION. Mistake. If you don't understand the character's, title's and movie's meaning, your own business. I thought it was quite easy to understand, especially as far as character's and title's meaning are concerned.

Which is why you explained it so well. I'm pretty sure I understand the movie in far deeper detail than your 4 watt comprehension which is probably why I pose the question and you accept it as a great movie because that's what you've heard on the net. You fucking dolt.

Which is why you explained it so well. I'm pretty sure I understand the movie in far deeper detail than your 4 watt comprehension which is probably why I pose the question and you accept it as a great movie because that's what you've heard on the net. You fucking dolt.

You are intelligent, so you are right. I'm going to commit suicide because your killer and winner intuition really destroyed me: it is fucking unquestionable :)

And the MOVIE ITSELF can have millions of meanings, it totally depends on subjective person's interpretation, because almost all phrases are ambiguous and some facial expressions are too. It does NOT have a moral and can look like either tragic, or comic, or both things together. But the CHARACTER's and TITLE's meanings are OBVIOUS. But YOU are intelligent, so you can understand those better than ME and your lack of comprehension does not surely mean you are an idiot who can't understand obvious craps.

Everyone needs to watch Snowtown. It can't remember a film that rattled me so much since Irreversible.

I'll be seeing it as soon as possible. I've heard very good things.

I also recommend Van Dieman's Land if you haven't seen it, another great Aussie film from a couple of years back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hall Pass - Had a couple of funny moments but overall I think some lols were squandered. I have had that pop song from the start of the credits stuck in my head for a full day now, though.

Battle: Los Angeles - It was way better than Skyline but I dunno. Something didn't work right but I'll be damned if I know what.

13 Assassins - Takashi Miike doing a samurai flick was bound to win. I consider this a rebound from Sukiyaki Western Django. Very well done with some interesting characters and what I consider a not too subtle nod to Toshiro Mifune's character in Seven Samurai.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley -- Movie about a couple of brothers in Cork during Ireland's fight for independence during the 1920s. One of the better movies I've seen on the Irish independence war. Very good acting. Some tense scenes. I enjoyed it. Depressing as hell

So how about that netflix price increase?