The Official Movie Thread

Just saw the midnight premiere of Captain America. It was pretty good and well acted. If all else, see it for Hugo Weaving and Tommy Lee Jones.

I thought Minority Report and A Scanner Darkly were both fantastic movies, but I never read the book versions

A Scanner Darkly was really good, but it was based on one of his novels, not a short story. And Linklater didn't try and "action-ify" it, it was actually a pretty faithful adaptation (and yes, it's a fantastic novel).

I forgot about Minority Report; that was a decent movie. Still, Spielberg mostly just took the idea and totally revamped the narrative. The short story wasn't an action story.

Franklyn

Finally got around to watching this, and I have mixed feelings about it. The film takes place in two different places: London and a place called Meanwhile City. It revolves around four different characters with four seemingly different narratives and how, of course, they all come together at the end. I figured it out halfway through, but I stuck it out. There were a few good twists, but the ending is...well I won't spoil it.

The portion of the film that takes place in Meanwhile City is the most interesting in how the director/screenwriter chose to envision an alternate reality. Pretty neat stuff.

Bernard Hill, the guy who played Theoden in LOTR, is one of the four main characters. His narrative was the most interesting, and he was certainly the best actor in the film.

Ryan Phillipe is the lead, but don't let it deter you. He wears a mask for 80% of the film.

The film wasn't what I was hoping it to be (a mix of Dark City and V For Vendetta). It was decent at best. meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we allowed to talk about documentaries itt? Because the past couple of weeks I've watched a bunch of documentaries about genocide and war (you know, to lighten up my mood and whatnot). The best one I've seen is The Death of Yugoslavia which is a BBC documentary series about the collapse of Yugoslavia and the ensuing conflict. It's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen tbh. You can find it on youtube.

Another one I watched was Ghosts of Rwanda which is about the Rwandan genocide that occurred back in the 90s. It's probably one of the roughest things I've ever watched and very informative concerning the extent to which the world turned a blind eye to it while it was happening (I didn't know much about Madeleine Albright before watching this, but I am now of the opinion that she is a cowardly, dishonest cunt.) There is lots and lots of footage of chopped up dead bodies in this film; not for the faint of heart.

Franklyn

Finally got around to watching this, and I have mixed feelings about it. The film takes place in two different places: London and a place called Meanwhile City. It revolves around four different characters with four seemingly different narratives and how, of course, they all come together at the end. I figured it out halfway through, but I stuck it out. There were a few good twists, but the ending is...well I won't spoil it.

The portion of the film that takes place in Meanwhile City is the most interesting in how the director/screenwriter chose to envision an alternate reality. Pretty neat stuff.

Bernard Hill, the guy who played Theoden in LOTR, is one of the four main characters. His narrative was the most interesting, and he was certainly the best actor in the film.

Ryan Phillipe is the lead, but don't let it deter you. He wears a mask for 80% of the film.

The film wasn't what I was hoping it to be (a mix of Dark City and V For Vendetta). It was decent at best. meh.

How have I missed this? Sounds like something right up my alley. I don't have anything against Ryan Philippe, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Adjustment Bureau - Enjoyable. I'm sure it's nowhere near Philip K Dick's original story (Einherjar?) but it was still an enjoyable concept, and all of the actors were fun to watch...especially Emily Blunt...drooool

The Adjustment Bureau - Enjoyable. I'm sure it's nowhere near Philip K Dick's original story (Einherjar?) but it was still an enjoyable concept, and all of the actors were fun to watch...especially Emily Blunt...drooool

I haven't read that one; it isn't in the collection I own. I've heard, as is typical with his short stories, that it's a lackluster narrative that features a unique idea.

Saw Das Boot the other day. There is something about submarine flicks that I really enjoy. Saw bits and pieces of this as a kid, but this is the first time viewing it as an adult.

Bodyguards & Assassins - Donnie Yen's name drew me to this one but he wasn't in it very much and was far from his usual badass self except for one cool foot chase. This one focused more on drama and history rather than wire fu. Gotta hand it to the Chinese, when they do a period piece, they go big.