The Official Movie Thread

Recently watched The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. The last film of Heath Ledger. Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrel filled in for Leger after his most unfortunate death. The movie isn't great, but it is worth a watch just for the scenes in the Imaginarium.

A few summers ago I was on a kick where I was watching classic films, most of them failed to live up to the hype. Citizen Kane and Treasure of Sierra Madre were downright boring. One film that was awesome and well deserving of the praise heaped upon it is Lawrence of Arabia. I recommend watching this movie to those with the time and inclination to do so.

One of my all time favorite movies is one from the 80s. I remember watching this flck over and over on HBO during summer vacation of 1988 or 1989. Clue. There are many stars, but the standout performance is Tim Curry as Wadsworth, the Butler. I own it on DVD and may watch in the next week or so. Yes, it is a movie based off the board game.

Just watched Dr Strangelove and enjoyed most of it. I understand the message and the male sexual war machine connotations but I still don't know why the movie is called Dr. Strangelove? is it the comedy in the name itself? the male species having a strange love for it's own destruction? fuck!

Anyone care to explain?

One of my favorite comedies. I love the performance of Slim Pickens as Major Kong. Look for James Earl Jones as a member of the crew on the bomber. This is a great movie, I saw clips of the movie growing up and in school and I could never make sense of it. It is one of those movies where you have to stay with it from the beginning to appreciate its greatness.

I like the Harry Potter books, but I think the movies have been inconsistent. I liked the 3rd movie a lot, didn't care for the 4th or 6th movies I liked the 5th movie, in fact, I think it shows how the book could have and probably should have been edited. I was impressed with Deathly Hollows pt. 1. I thought it was the best movie of the series. I'll wait a week or two before seeing the new one.

I like the Harry Potter books, but I think the movies have been inconsistent. I liked the 3rd movie a lot, didn't care for the 4th or 6th movies I liked the 5th movie, in fact, I think it shows how the book could have and probably should have been edited. I was impressed with Deathly Hollows pt. 1. I thought it was the best movie of the series.

I agree completely, and the new Harry Potter was pretty bad IMO. It felt very hollow and empty, especially regarding the *spoiler*--- deaths of characters like Fred (or was it George?). Showing a character for about 5 seconds on-screen prior to his death does not warrant any emotional response.

Chocolate - Basically a female Tony Jaa. She plays an autistic person so that aspect of her character can get annoying, especially crying in Thai which I find grating on the ear. However, there are some badass fight scenes that make this movie well worth it.

The new Harry Potter movie was basically what I was expecting. Just as good as the novels (which aren't too good) and that ridiculous fucking epilogue. There were some good scenes (Alan Rickman is the fucking man) but ultimatey the movie falls exactly where the books fall.

The Wind That Shakes The Barley -- Movie about a couple of brothers in Cork during Ireland's fight for independence during the 1920s. One of the better movies I've seen on the Irish independence war. Very good acting. Some tense scenes. I enjoyed it. Depressing as hell

I love this movie. Very well-written and well-acted; and the song after which they named it is an amazing piece.

I loved it, but I think it may be because I started the series in first grade and it really impacted me....

I thought the movie was excellent, one of the best in the series, everything with Snape was genius. I do agree about the deaths though, but fuck it.

This, except I started reading them in 3rd grade.

Unknown - Crap. Started out okay but completely fell apart in the third act. The "twist" was impossibly easy to predict and, as usual, all logic was completely tossed to advance the story.

The Adjustment Bureau - Trailer was kind of misleading but all in all, this was decent.

Philip K. Dick's short stories often don't translate into "great" movies, even though there have been some iconic ones (Blade Runner, Total Recall); they're more important for the ideas than the actual plot/narrative. Adaptations usually twist his stories into mediocre action films.

His novels are much better.

I thought Minority Report and A Scanner Darkly were both fantastic movies, but I never read the book versions

Psychonaut said:
Unknown - Crap. Started out okay but completely fell apart in the third act. The "twist" was impossibly easy to predict and, as usual, all logic was completely tossed to advance the story.

What? Me?