The Official Movie Thread

It's part of a trilogy that i've had on Netflix for probably 2 years and never watched all 3..one day..

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is great but not as good as Oldboy. Still haven't seen Sympathy for Mr Vengeance.

I really need to watch Fight Club again. I first saw it earlier this year and I have no idea why I put it off for so long. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is great but not as good as Oldboy. Still haven't seen Sympathy for Mr Vengeance.

I really need to watch Fight Club again. I first saw it earlier this year and I have no idea why I put it off for so long. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen.

seriously
Fight Club is the best out of all the movies that have been talked about on this thread

Saw Dr. Strangelove today in this new film-class thingie I'm having, was pretty awesome. The teacher had planned for us to watch Rocky but he forgot it, so we got Dr. Strangelove instead. A heck of a lot more interesting. (We also watched Star Wars... Yep, a pretty good day)

Also saw Heat (1995) the other day, excellent & intelligent action flick.

watched Agora last night. I'd be interested to hear Zeph's take on it. It's about Hypatia, a Roman philosopher and scientist in Alexandria, and the rise of Christians and the campaign against the pagans. At least that's what I gathered. It was pretty brutal, and I can understand why it wasn't really shown in America...it paints Christians in a pretty bad light. It's also not a very happy movie. That being said, I thought it was decent. You also get to see Rachel Weisz's ass. That's definitely a plus

the Total Recall remake was a highly entertaining sci-fi flick. the dystopian post-apocalyptic cityscapes were fucking awesome to behold. the action sequences and explosions were super cool. the story and twists in it, while nothing groundbreaking, were interesting enough. Colin Farell was good as the hero, though a bit ordinary. Jessica Biel was hot and Kate Beckinsale even hotter. But the hottest was definitely the 3-boobed hooker.

original:
3-boobs-total-recall.jpg

remake:
7602129436_58e94d1537_z.jpg

my easily pissed off roommate is bitching-all-to-hell that the remake of total recall even happened at all

he says the original total recall was the most awesome movie of 1990
he says total recall was "classic" and that remaking it was unnecessary and horrible and "ruining a classic movie"

and he's pissed that they don't go to mars

i, myself though, am seriously considering watching the movie cuz i think i would enjoy it

oh yeah there's no replacing Arnie, he is an iconic actor and the classic will always be the best and most memorable version.

i mean just look at this...
Total-Recall.jpg

Colin is bland as balls compared to Arnie.

the remake was still enjoyable though.

Saw Dr. Strangelove today in this new film-class thingie I'm having, was pretty awesome. The teacher had planned for us to watch Rocky but he forgot it, so we got Dr. Strangelove instead. A heck of a lot more interesting. (We also watched Star Wars... Yep, a pretty good day)

Also saw Heat (1995) the other day, excellent & intelligent action flick.

I love Dr. Strangelove. Great, great movie.

I don't see why Americans have to remake every fucking movie even if they do it worst or completely same.

If you thought they couldn't possibly run this franchise any further into the ground than they already have, you were sadly mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original is one of the most genuinely frightening films I've ever seen. Horror remakes are always an embarrassment to the original.

A lot of horror remakes arent as bad as they're made out to be. Two of the most offensive ones to me were A Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween though...

Mostly because they tried to change the actual premise of those movies, making Freddy a sympathetic character and Michael Myers a tortured child.

You were allowed to just be fucking evil in the 80s. In the 2000s-2010s, apparently you need a reason to be evil.

went and saw Lawless last night with my girlfriend. John Hillcoat directs a movie about Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf and another guy as bootlegging brothers in the backwoods during Prohibition. Guy Pearce moves in and starts being a real shithead. Gary Oldman shows up from time to time. Nick Cave wrote the screenplay and soundtrack.

Really solid movie. I was concerned about Shia LaBeouf being in the movie, but his character is supposed to be a whiny, annoying little shit, so he's perfect for it. He also gets the shit beaten out of him. That makes it worth it. Tom Hardy is outstanding and shows he can be a badass without taking his shirt off.