The Official Movie Thread

6305257450.gif

Great film or THE GREATEST FILM? [/colbert]

Saw it for about the eighth time tonight, hypnotized by its brilliance once again... Any fans?

tarkovsky could potentially take herzog's place as my favourite director, but i haven't seen andrei rublev yet. no doubt it's fucking amazing

I finally saw 3:10 To Yuma last night (wanted to see it when it first came out but I got busy). It has a little more depth than I expected, which was good. One of the better movies I've seen in a while.

I've only seen Stalker, but it was so long ago, that I can't remember a thing.
The Russian cinema was great once. Eldar Ryazanov is my favorite director. He mostly specialized in comedy. Not of the overtly hee-ha-hu type, but more subtle stuff, dramatic and lifelike.
His "Irony of Fate"(literal translation from Russian) has always been a Christmas(New Year) favorite in every household. It's become customary(a long tradition) to air it on every New Year's eve on one of the channels of the Russian broadcasting network. Great film.
Garage and An Office Affair are also great movies of his.

I finally saw 3:10 To Yuma last night (wanted to see it when it first came out but I got busy). It has a little more depth than I expected, which was good. One of the better movies I've seen in a while.

I was expecting more vio-lence, but overall a great movie.

The Kingdom was a pile of shit, waste of $5. It looked like some kind of serious movie, although I was definitely expecting some pro-USA propaganda. Instead it was just a generic action movie combined with "CSI: Saudi Arabia", loads of awful meaningless banter, invincible heroes killing evil Muslims by the dozen, etc. They tried to throw in some political commentary in the last fifteen seconds, and the Saudi cop was a pretty good character, but overall it alternated between laughable and boring.

Huge fan. I'm torn between that and Solyaris.
Andrei Rublev and Ivanovo detstvo are tops for me, Solyaris not far behind.

watched fudoh last night. this was a big step towards redemption for miike. the last few movies of his ive seen have been terrible, but this one was great. good story and all the absurd sex and violence that i grew to love. not as good as ichi the killer, but worth a rent.

for people who like violence and weird sexual scenes (like an assasin who shoots darts out of her pussy)
~gR~