The Official Movie Thread

That's one of my favorite Shakespeare adaptations just because of how ridiculous it is. When he's doing the opening monologue while pissing...it's just gold

One of my favorite Shakespeare adaptations is Ralph Fienne's Coriolanus. He, Gerard Butler, and Brian Cox do a very good job in it. Though my Classics bias counts for some.

Just rewatched Ex Machina and still enjoyed it. Didn't really think about it first time, but I think it's obvious the film asks "what is human?" but this time around I was curious at the idea of her interest in controlling Caleb due to Nathan or is that inherently human?

Still upset that more people saw Mad Max than Ex Machina, especially so called "intelligent" people, but I guess this is American society today (and maybe always?)

this time around I was curious at the idea of her interest in controlling Caleb due to Nathan or is that inherently human?

Could you explain/rephrase this? I'm not sure I know what you mean by her "controlling Caleb due to Nathan." And what about this is inherently inhuman?

Well goddamn, William Friedkin's new project will be:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...roject-the-winter-of-frankie-machine-20150806

That pliotline gives me a kind of History of Violence vibe. With Freidkin at the helm, this promises to be both psychological and visceral.

A History of Violence is cool. I recently picked it up with Running Scared for 2 bucks each. I mention Running Scared because I always thought the movies were similar in style.

Could you explain/rephrase this? I'm not sure I know what you mean by her "controlling Caleb due to Nathan." And what about this is inherently inhuman?

She grew up in a world where she was controlled by Nathan. When Nathan explains near the end of the film that the test was for Eva, to see if she was human enough to manipulate someone (Caleb), was this only brought on by her programmed mind or did her human-like brain adapt to this technique once living under Nathan?

I'm not entirely sure if I answer my own question here or open up more. If Nathan programmed this "ability" then it answers the first part, but why would Nathan do that? Is it human to manipulate and control for your own satisfaction? And if Nathan did not program her in that way and instead she surpassed what Nathan thought Eva could do, then I guess she adapted via the environment she lived in? (My reference here to her life experience that being controlled by Nathan so thus she controlled Caleb)

I kind of relate this to an interpretation i've seen about 2001 that I can agree with; being human is to kill. HAL's transformation etc. Is it human to manipulate others or was it something learned via Eva's environment?

She grew up in a world where she was controlled by Nathan. When Nathan explains near the end of the film that the test was for Eva, to see if she was human enough to manipulate someone (Caleb), was this only brought on by her programmed mind or did her human-like brain adapt to this technique once living under Nathan?

If you're asking whether her environment conditions her behavior, I think that's absolutely true; I think she knows she's being held captive and she's trying to learn in order to escape.

I don't think Nathan programmed her to be manipulative. I think he programmed her to be reflexive, and reflexivity entails a certain degree of exploitation of one's environment. Also, I don't think her brain is human at all. I think it's the most nonhuman aspect of her being. In that regard, I would say her manipulative behavior is less "human" and more - simply put - evolutionary.

I think maybe you say as much here:

And if Nathan did not program her in that way and instead she surpassed what Nathan thought Eva could do, then I guess she adapted via the environment she lived in? (My reference here to her life experience that being controlled by Nathan so thus she controlled Caleb)

Watching this finally.

hb-5.jpg

I liked that, basically Michael Caine killing "chavs".

The last Caine film I saw was Billion Dollar Brain, which I would give about 6/10. It was a decent idea poorly executed with typical 1960s cheese and poor set designs. Sub-Bond bollocks, the earlier two films in that series are pretty good though, The Ipcress File and Funeral in Berlin. Billion Dollar Brain is supposed to be the best one but it's too stupid and poorly executed.

The Deadly Affair was decent, 7/10

All the Presidents Men was good, 8/10, not as dated as you'd think.

Can't believe I've never watched Xtro until now. That being said, I'm feeling a bit let down.

Stayed up late last night bored and somehow ended up watching Midori - Shoujo Tsubaki. It's some bizarre anime horror movie with lots of psychedelic stuff going on. I'm not really an anime fan but it was worth the 48 minutes of mindfuck I think. Brutally bleak and twisted, I'll give it that.

Hahah, rms that's a very cringy opinion.

For Straw Dogs? What do you mean?

If you're asking whether her environment conditions her behavior, I think that's absolutely true; I think she knows she's being held captive and she's trying to learn in order to escape.

I don't think Nathan programmed her to be manipulative. I think he programmed her to be reflexive, and reflexivity entails a certain degree of exploitation of one's environment. Also, I don't think her brain is human at all. I think it's the most nonhuman aspect of her being. In that regard, I would say her manipulative behavior is less "human" and more - simply put - evolutionary.

I think maybe you say as much here:

Her brain is not human? Have you already gone into this?

I think I've mentioned it.

In short, human brains co-evolved along with human bodies. But Eva's brain is basically a system of global information (Nathan says it's modeled on the internet) implanted into a human body. There's a pretty big disharmony there, if you ask me.