The Official Movie Thread

Wet Hot American Summer (2001) - a few laughs but most of the scenes fall flat. it didn't make me want to check out the new netflix tv series even though it has a solid cast

I didn't really get what was so great about Sex, Lies and Videotape. It was a decent drama, that's all I picked up on and extremely predictable.

Bout to watch The Equalizer. Not expecting much, hopefully there is actually 'strong bloody violence throughout'.

Deadly Dreams (Kristie Peterson, 1988) - Dreams were certainly a hot commodity in 80's horror. Considering the time period when this was released, I'm willing to bet that this films relative obscurity is based on people seeing the title "Deadly Dreams" and assume it to be an Elm Street rip off. Sure enough, after reading some reviews some not very bright viewers have done just that which begs the question of whether they actually watched the film. Anyway, this isn't a Freddy re-hash, not at all. It has a tendency to get labeled as a slasher which is understandable to a certain extent but this film is far my psychological than you're average 80's slasher. Its far more ambitious than other films of its ilk and its blurring of dream/reality is incredibly clever. Fantastic twists and odd, striking imagery to boot, particularly the reoccurring visual of a hunter wearing a wolfs mask.

Serial Mom was good fun. It's a shame what happened with Kathleen Turner, she was still pretty decent to look at here, not beautiful like in body heat though. Anyway, quite a fun movie. There is something a bit off about it, perhaps the Turner's take is more of a serious serial killer than a comedy one, but it still makes for an interesting watch.

Chillin' tonight.

QyZJ29V.jpg

Watched Memoirs of a Geisha, I've heard the John Williams score on cinemix (a free online radio for movie soundtracks) for a long time and really liked it, so I finally watched the movie, pretty good, I would give it a high 7/10 not quite great, but really good.

I mean Spoorloos yes and yes a lot of the dialogue that takes place is in french in the original version, even though it begins in dutch.

Also, Blowout was great. A lot of great films came out in the 1980s, for my tastes anyway.

http://www.crackle.com/c/american-movie

The true-tale of amateur filmmaker Mark Burckhardt as he attempts to complete his short horror film, COVEN. A documentary crew captures every moment of Mark's efforts in this absolutely hilarious, poignant look at the life of an aspiring auteur.

It takes a village to make a movie, but when that village is Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin and not Hollywood, the results are at times bizarre, comical, and very American. With the help of his mother, his 82-year-old uncle, and a local cast of hilarious weirdos, filmmaker Mark Borchardt fights his way through internal and external roadblocks to achieve his goal, to make his movie, his way. His inspiration comes from films as disparate as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Seventh Seal, as well as his experiences growing up amid the grey skies, rusty cars, and ranch houses of Milwaukee's Northwest side. Spanning over two years of struggle, financial decline and spiritual crisis, American Movie is a story of ambition, obsession, excess, and one man's quest for the American Dream.

I watched Julie's Eyes last night a Guillermo Del Toro film, and I gotta say even though the movie was just OK, I really like his style and some of the choices he makes. This isn't a spoiler but when the girl starts loosing her sight, he didn't show the faces of the characters she was talking too. It also made me think about what's -really- scary. Sometimes the whole notion of not knowing or not seeing someone's face could be really damn terrifying, and it's just a regular face. The way he built it up was really cool though.

Watched Contact last night.... again. Reminds me, I need to reinstall SETI@home on my new comp.

And so should all of you. It doesn't bog shit down whatsoever, and you can actually make a difference with minimal effort. I <3 technology. I <3 ETs. I <3 beyond Earth.

Crimes of Passion (1984) was bloody awful. A real steaming turd of a film, the production was retarded, in a lot of ways worse than stuff from the silent era.

Last night I got to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey at the Hollywood Bowl with the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Master Chorale playing along to the movie. It was absolutely stunning. The orchestra was on point. Whenever they played "Thus Spake Zarathustra," I got goosebumps. Amazing

Have you seen the sequel? It's actually pretty decent imo, just more straight forward watchable sci fi.