The Official Movie Thread

Animal House (1978) - was pretty "meh" tbh. i guess you had to see it when it came out to really appreciate it. decent comedy but it doesn't live up to the hype.

Sorority Row (2009) - this was really fucking stupid but it was quite funny at times. if it didn't have the genre cliches of phone doesn't work and turns back on bad guy once he's down, this could have been a solid slasher.

Bubba Ho-tep (2002) - i expected more from the director and Bruce Campbell. this was just dumb and dragged on

Sorority Row (2009) - this was really fucking stupid but it was quite funny at times. if it didn't have the genre cliches of phone doesn't work and turns back on bad guy once he's down, this could have been a solid slasher.
Useless remake #3948390445234. The original House on Sorority Row (1983) is a really good slasher. Fairly typical of its respective subgenre but nonetheless its quite stylish and holds up fairly well alongside the more well known titles from that era.

Last edited by a moderator:
sad.

EVERYONE MUST SEE THE HUNT (2012).

It's an amazing Danish film about the life of a kindergarten teacher who is accused of pedophilia by a student of his and the tribulations that follow. Mads Mikkelesen acts his balls off. This film will make you seriously hate people. It got nominated for an Oscar, and deservedly so but i don't think it won. It's on Netflix, watch it, and thank me later. Seriously, what an amazing film.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Umv4CyxTdg

i only saw part of this actually. didn't seem like my cup of tea but it's well made/acted. THE GREAT BEAUTY won the oscar that year, which i'm not sold on either although i think there's something to it. i'd probably have given it to THE MISSING PICTURE though.

VIDEODROME ain't my favourite cronenberg but it sure does rule.

TEXAS CHAINSAW 2 sounds hilarious, i need to see that.

'80s list was a fairly interesting mix of mainstream and cinephile canon. starts throwing a few curveballs from like 15 onwards. there's several on there i'm desperate to see too.

I love the first Nightmare on Elm Street (save some profoundly bad acting, even by slasher movie standards). The concept is brilliant and the execution is excellent, especially considering the budget. However, I'm not too crazy about all his later post modern bullshit. New Nightmare is a self congradulating piece of shit. The first Scream is certainly good at what it does, even if it's not my cup of tea, and the Drew Barrymore is phenomenal horror. However, the sequals are so self-indulgent and self-congratulating.

The Serpent and the Rainbow will always be my favorite Craven film.

Also just before he died I watched Deadly Blessing. Very odd movie for him I think and he ended it kinda ridiculously, but then again, so did he on TSatR.

Last House on the Left
The Hills Have Eyes
Swamp Thing
Deadly Blessing
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Serpent and the Rainbow
New Nightmare

My all time favorite Craven's. Looking at his filmography, its true that he was inconsistent. I mean, how can the same guy responsible not only for savage classics like the original (sad that I have to say that) Last House and Hills and for creating Freddy Krueger also be the guy who directs Vampire in Brooklyn? Regardless, when he was on, he was fucking ON.

*Edit* Shit, forgot about Swamp Thing when I first posted. I've always loved that one even though Louis Jourdan's werewolf/lion/boar whatever its supposed to be monster suit is a bit goofy. But still awesome.

I have no problem with Do the Right Thing being listed as the best film of the 80s. Probably the most insightful and prescient film about race relations ever made imo.

texas chainsaw massacre

Curious to see your thoughts on this. I, for one, think it's arguably the greatest horror film of all time, and one of those wretched flicks that pretty much encapsulates everything about American New Wave that I love.

I, for one, think it's arguably the greatest horror film of all time, and one of those wretched flicks that pretty much encapsulates everything about American New Wave that I love.
Have you seen the documentary The American Nightmare? Produced by IFC back when they actually played independent films, its mainly an endlessly fascinating look into the sociopolitical influences behind the "big 4" of the, as you put it, "American New Wave", ie Night of the Living Dead, Last House, Texas Chainsaw and Halloween along with Shivers which, despite being a Canadian film fits right in contextually.

The whole thing is up on YouTube. NSFW if it wasn't obvious.

But yeah, I have trouble thinking of a film movement that was as in tune with its zeitgeist as '67-'75 American film.
Exactly and its just what that documentary gets into in a big way. Manson, Vietnam, Martin Luther King's assassination, Kent State, the sexual revolution, ect... all fed into those films. One of the most striking portions of that doc is the profile on Craven and Last House and the comparing of some of the films imagery with some of the most famous imagery from Nam, ie the execution of Nguyen Van Lem and the killing of Mary in the film. Craven put it best when he says "The war came home." Brutal times.

EVERYONE MUST SEE THE HUNT (2012).

It's an amazing Danish film about the life of a kindergarten teacher who is accused of pedophilia by a student of his and the tribulations that follow. Mads Mikkelesen acts his balls off. This film will make you seriously hate people. It got nominated for an Oscar, and deservedly so but i don't think it won. It's on Netflix, watch it, and thank me later. Seriously, what an amazing film.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Umv4CyxTdg

I've had that film for ages, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but I've started watching it three times now whilst fucked and I get as far as a bunch of naked dudes jumping into a lake and that's it.

Which is to say... 3 minutes in?

What!? Animal House fucking rules.

tbh i'm generally not a fan of comedy films. comedy is better suited to TV.

Useless remake #3948390445234. The original House on Sorority Row (1983) is a really good slasher. Fairly typical of its respective subgenre but nonetheless its quite stylish and holds up fairly well alongside the more well known titles from that era.

cool, i'll check it out