The Official Movie Thread

I saw the movie Spotlight last night. The movie was about the Boston Globe newspaper's reporting of the molestation scandal in the catholic church in Boston.

I thought the movie was pretty good, though having read some articles about what the movie left out or underplayed, I would've hoped for a bit more of a hard hitting movie.

Still the movie did the job of highlighting what had been happening for years and the cover up that ensued.

Repossession - A wonderful think piece regarding shallow post-modernist image appropriation by film writer Daniel Bird who's name I've mentioned a few times in this thread. This pretty much sums up what I can't stand about the trend of "homage" or "throwback" films.

What is at stake here is a slow, irreversible slide into a visual culture of pure aestheticism — the loss of sound and image as an effective means of communicating thoughts and feelings.

Of course, the intellectual cockroach of post-modernism is invoked as an alibi: surfaces are everything, meaning is nothing.

Today I realised that I've got these Night Of The Demons movies which I've never actually watched before so I've decided to have a nice early tea, get the washing up done and then settle in for a night with the lovely Angela.
image.jpeg

I saw the movie Spotlight last night. The movie was about the Boston Globe newspaper's reporting of the molestation scandal in the catholic church in Boston.

I thought the movie was pretty good, though having read some articles about what the movie left out or underplayed, I would've hoped for a bit more of a hard hitting movie.

Still the movie did the job of highlighting what had been happening for years and the cover up that ensued.

i spent the whole movie feeling like keaton does every time an old friend tries to cajole him into dropping the story: painfully aware of being manipulated toward whichever broad emotion or tidy perspective the writer desired at any given moment. plus the most interesting/challenging thread (the candid old priest who virtually boasts about what he did) is abandoned in the most hilariously literal way possible. still, while i'll never understand what a rachel mcadams is supposed to accomplish, the performances on the whole totally carry it, especially schreiber!

Since I'm in Massachusetts, I pretty much followed the entire scandal as in unfolded. I didn't feel so much manipulated, I just knew where the story was going.

Thought this was pretty neat, some musings on newspaper clippings of 80's horror movies.

Repetitive thoughts on recent viewings:

White of the Eye (Donald Cammell, 1987) - I mentioned this a while back when Death Delirium was asking around for cool 80's horror recommendations. One of the greatest, most original horror films from the 80's and from where I'm sitting the best of Cammell's four features. On the surface its a serial killer film however very little of it functions like a normal killer thriller. Hell, very little of it functions like a normal film. This is brilliantly unhinged stuff. Usually Lynch is the go-to comparison for a lot of people when it comes to anything that's even semi-oddwhich sort of grates me seeing as Lynch's style is so unique unto itself but in the case of this film its somewhat warranted. Like Lynch, Cammell perfectly captures the evil lurking under a perfect small town façade and populates the entire film with weirdo's while still retaining an entirely singular style. Even the local law enforcement behave like loons. Jaw-dropping Arizona locations and Cathy Moriarty was a stone cold FOX back in the day. Goddamn.

Amantes (Vicente Aranda, 1991) - What to say about this that hasn't already been said a million times over? To reiterate the obvious, one of the best Spanish films ever and an essential 90's title. Sexy, sad, engrossing, jaw-dropping, ect.. Pretty much has it all. One thing that's always irked be a bit, without giving anything away, there's a bit of text that comes up after the final shot that I've always felt was a bit of a cop out. I get trying to be historically accurate (this was based on true story dontcha know) but considering the direction the story takes, it could have gone even further in said direction. Its a minor thing though and in now way is a hindrance to an essentially perfect film as everything that transpires before should leave anyone fully invested in the film utterly speechless. The best picture win for this at the '91 Goya (Spanish Oscar) awards is one of the reasons why European awards are much easier take seriously than certain other award shows. Reputation earned and deserved.

Cold Heaven (Nicolas Roeg, 1991) - Perplexing even by Roeg standards, this film epitomizes the term "open to interpretation" with many open ended questions left lingering, mainly pertaining to the religious aspects. What's to be taken at face value or as a metaphor is wonderfully (and purpusly on Roeg's part no doubt) obscured, particularly whether or not Mark Harmon is actually a ghost or Theresa Russell's visions of the Virgin Mary being psychically linked to a hysterical nuns dream. There's also a brief hint of a kind of demonic possession. The way Roeg uses Catholicism, specifically lapsed Catholicism, and how it comes into play during the final third sort of reminded me of Ferrara at times. Probably could have used a bit more James Russo but I suppose he's got as much screen time as the script called for. Great projectile blood vomiting scene also!

Last edited:
Man I remember watching Cannibal Holocaust and had to just essentially shut it off because I couldn't deal with all the rape. I mean it was just like every ten minutes man. Call me a sjw or whatever but it was just too much. I guess movies that take it overboard , I can't really do. That French movie Irreversible had like a 15 minute long rape, which was just ridiculous. Also awkward as fuck because I watched it with a bunch of friends and we were all getting upset with the situation.

The trailer @Oblivious Maximus looks fucked and it looks like it could be good but idk why but the acting or something about it seemed unbelievable or a little fake.I'd be interested in giving it a shot, though.

Also I'm going to see the witch tonight! :) I can't wait! I'll come back and talk about it after I see it

Very NSFW trailer for Ballad in Blood, the NEW film from Ruggero Deodato of Cannibal Holocaust and The House on the Edge of the Park infamy! His first horror movie in 23 years! Its looks positively fucked. Bring it. Hopefully this goes far and gets other Italian masters like Sergio Martino and Umberto Lenzi to get some new stuff going. With all the bullshit post-modernist "homage" films aping the classic Italian style its time the maestro's show the kids how its really done.

Speaking of homage bullshit, I'm probably the only one who cares shit but nonetheless this really bothered me, For the record, the new Cannon Films is not the same as The Cannon Group.

Did i just detect a massive Susperia reference in that trailer? Looks twisted.

So I went and watched The VVitch last night. I did like it to a point but I feel like it was missing something. Scenery is fantastic... It's a slow burner but the tension doesn't build all that well for me and I think that's part of the reason it didn't work all that well for me. I also went in with some preconception of it being gorey. (Goddamn online reviews) never panned out. I suppose the mortar and pestle thing was kind of jarring but I ended up snickering at it once I realized what was going on. Oh and the super annoying little kid horror movie trope? There's not one, but two in this one! (Btw does anyone know what happened to those two at the end?)

It was okay overall but I doubt I'll ever watch it again unless it's on SyFy.

^ I saw it last night as well. I'm going to write a review thing for it in a second

Edit: Completely forgot to come back.

So here's my thoughts on The Witch. I think it is more a psychological thriller than a horror movie. I'll tell you why. Back then, when I guess the Puritans came to America to practice a more strict form of their religion, they were desperately trying to rid themselves of sin. I think the movie does a great job, grappling with the fact that sin is unavoidable. This is seen when the little boy keeps staring at his sister's boobs. Throughout the movie, the characters exclaim, "forgive me! I have sinned!" They, essentially, believed that sin was the cause of their misfortune (not being able to get enough food, the baby being stolen, etc). I think the movie also does a great job sort of suggesting where people turn to when shit hits the fan back then (which is either to god or to the devil). At first they kept turning to "god" and finally, in the end, when there was no one left, the daughter turned to evil.

It does a great job capturing the sentiments of its time. How people really just thought in black and white. Good and evil. Also, it seemed to play with the idea for every "sin" they did the devil was living right there to punish them for it. I guess the idea of "the devil is right here" sort of thing.

I do think the movie should've taken it a step further. I understand it's a Hollywood movie, but I was hoping for something a little more... For example, more interactions with the witches. I found that they just did what I know what witches are to do. They flew, they chanted, they possessed people.... but I felt I wasnt afraid of them because they didn't really establish exactly what they were capable of. There was little interaction with them, and I wished that there was more. They were very ambiguous, and I didn't like that.

Last edited:
Recent DVD Haul.

American Gothic.
Dawn of The Dead(original).
Tales from The Crypt(season 2).
Zombi 3.

image.jpeg Speaking of cannibal holocaust, has anyone ever had the misfortune of seeing this? The only film I've ever had to prepare my self to watch and I've seen it around 6 to 10 times, it's gotta be a mix the crude 70s racist French commentary, the score and the film itself. This doco/exploitation flick actually makes me feel the need to shower with a wire brush afterwards. Sickening.

One of the late Andrzej Zulawski's dream projects was an anthology film consisting of seven shorts constructed around the theme of music. Obviously, the film never materialized but today a video from 2012 was unearthed featuring Zulawski discussing his ambitions with the project:

Anyone see the new Ghostbusters trailer? Jesus christ haha

Find it funny that a black girl is still the sidekick + she drives a cadillac. Feminism babyyyyyy

I recently watched The Good Dinosaur and it was a much darker movie than I expected.

I decided to watch Zootopia yesterday because I didn't want to drive after sampling some new beers at a bar in Tampa. I liked it. It was a cute film with likable main characters.