The Official Movie Thread

I recently watched The Good Dinosaur and it was a much darker movie than I expected.

YES, why did so few people notice this. might be better than INSIDE OUT imo, though i liked that also.

that fucking triceratops thing with the birds in its horns is honestly the most fucked up thing in the history of pixar. i loved that it just cameod for like 30 seconds for no real reason.

Also, the part where the kid knocks over the sticks in his family circle and buries them in the sand was pretty sad. That movie wasn't joking around.

christ, i forgot about that. yeah, it felt like a throwback to FINDING NEMO to me, which also had a certain fairytale darkness about it. references to THE JUNGLE BOOK and DUMBO don't hurt it either.

Reactions: Omni
That's awesome. I need to watch Lost Highway and Blue Velvet again, it's been awhile. Tried to tough out Inland Empire, might be too Lynchian for me :lol:

Today I realised that I've got these Night Of The Demons movies which I've never actually watched before so I've decided to have a nice early tea, get the washing up done and then settle in for a night with the lovely Angela.
View attachment 4300
What'd you think of the second and third films? Obviously the first is the best, a total classic but I have to say I'm quite fond the second as well. The third is where you kind of have to make some excuses for its shortcomings but its enjoyable nonetheless.

Detective Story (Takashi Miike, 2007) - First and foremost, don't be fooled by the misleading DVD cover which makes this look like a kind of Saw or Hostel rip-off because its far from it. It takes a special kind of maniac to take material that could have very well ended up being a rather routine serial killer flick and approach it in a fashion this berserk. While its not nearly as full on as something like Ichi the Killer, it does feature plenty of Miike's trademark eccentricities and many a "what the fuck?" moment. Sort of all over the place tonally speaking, ranging from hilarious to disgusting and in a few instances both at the same time. Miike even manages to infuse a bit of the sadness that he brings to some of his horrors which is kind of incredible given not simply the whiplash tone of the film but the actual scenes Miike includes it in. A worthy addition to any Miike fans collection.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
He's an interview with Stephanie Rothman, one of the first female drive-in directors. Its funny, for all the bitching moaning I hear these days about there being a lack of female directors, I hear very little talk of women directors of the past who were true pioneers, which Rothman certainly is, especially in the exploitation field. Her films The Student Nurses (1970), The Velvet Vampire (1971) and Terminal Island (1973) are prime viewing with The Velvet Vampire in particular standing out as one of the best films of its type.

I'm curious what people think of 10 Cloverfield Lane myself.

The VVitch was more artsy than horror movie to me. Was okay but I generally don't like preachy artsy movies that use horror as their template, I won't watch it again.

Reactions: RedStorm
Over Your Dead Body (Takashi Miike, 2014) Now that was a horror movie! This is a very unusual film but not in the over the top/gonzo style that Miike became famous for. The oddness is much more subtle with Miike taking his sweet time. The epitome of a slow burn, there are points where the pace is so languid it feels like the film is taking place underwater which just adds to the creep factor. Everything feels slightly "off", uneasy vibes are felt from the very beginning. Even Ko Shibasaki's performance feels somewhat alien which is by no means a criticism, she's actually quite on point considering the directions the story takes.

While not an all out bloodletting, "restrained" isn't really the right description for the film as the results are plenty potent when Miike lets the blood flow. There's even two instances that recall the, erm, "fetal" horrors of Imprint. Of course the film is ripe with all sorts of unnerving imagery. Just wait for the doll. Then there's the production design and direction which are all on another level. Those scenes taking place within the actual play are jaw-dropping. I also have to be "that guy" and droll over Shibasaki for a second. Blimey Charlie. There. Got that out of the way. Be on the look out for a tip of the hat to Verhoeven near the end too.

This is seriously one of the best horror films I've seen in a long time. Miike is still king.

i haven't seen either but the witch has been discussed a lot in this thread.

i liked the original cloverfield more than most people i think.

I liked the original Cloverfield but I grew up on Godzilla instead of Disney thanks to my dad and it had a big nostalgia thing going on for me. It made me extremely motion sick watching it in the theater btw.

Heard 10CL has nothing to do with it for the most part.

na sorry. i just looked it up and there are a couple of TV movies about plagues of locusts, but i'm assuming you mean the one that has vince vaughn, paul rudd etc from 1997, also goes by the title A SECRET SIN?

Criterion posted some list about LGBT films and this was said about Mulholland Dr on the comment section;

Mulholland Dr is a fantastic film, but its male gaze view of lesbian love is the worst part

Lynch presents a fantasy lesbian relationship in the lurid vein of De Palma, which I guess fits in a pulpy way but leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Same guy, 2 posts