The Official Movie Thread

I saw it over the weekend, it was very good. And for someone who studies language, it was actually a decent treatment of the relationship between language, memory, and time. Not to mention the anthropomorphic conditions of language.

I liked it a lot. And yeah, with my background in philosophy of language and linguistics, I did get a bit of a nerd boner watching it. I don't go out to the movies very often (like once every three years maybe) and I was very satisfied with this one.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Just spent a bunch of JB Hifi vouchers, all DVDs were 20% off so I got some shyittt.

Better Call Saul season 1
The Rookie
The Changeling
Bullitt
Tusk
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (somehow I didn't already own this one...)
Blind Fury
Road Games (ozploitation)
Petersen (ozploitation)
A Clockwork Orange
In The Realm Of The Senses
Empire Of The Passions

I almost bought a Michael Caine box set but put it back, kinda regret it now. Also I'm mildly pissed that they didn't have a copy of The Disco Exorcist or Father's Day available.

I kind of sort of want to see Tusk actually but have been a bit indifferent to Smith for a while now. He was on fire for the longest time though, from Clerks all the way to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, hardly a bad track record. I though Red State was fantastic too. Still haven't made it all the way though Zack and Miri, just seen bits and pieces.

You should totally read about this movie based on the plays that inspired the LouTallica album. Udo Kier is Jack the Ripper (for 5 minutes at least) and at one point a character furiously masturbates with a cane and later humps a painting. Its pretty great. I am the keyboard. :spam:

Another current obsession is the late Greek filmmaker Nikos Nikolaidis. Outside of Greece he's mostly known for the amazing and hilariously disgusting Singapore Sling (1990) but he made 7 other movies that nobody ever brings up.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
I kind of sort of want to see Tusk actually but have been a bit indifferent to Smith for a while now. He was on fire for the longest time though, from Clerks all the way to Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, hardly a bad track record.

Yeah I'm the exact same way, I only actually bought Tusk because after Sasquatch Dumpling Gang I've grown rather fond of Justin Long, and it was dubbed a horror comedy so I took a chance, since horror comedies seem to still get made with some quality these days.

It was pretty fucking weird though.

R.I.P.

3c9e377f2b264ac8868eaa4a3fbd8b94.gif

talk about a dude who'd rather flaunt his film knowledge rather than review the subject matter

p.s. it's amazing, go see it

i think other movies can often help to shed light on the subject matter, particularly as he's mostly referencing other verhoeven movies.

but yeah i'm still wrestling with it but i liked it a lot. huppert is god tier.

his comparison of The Thing to Hateful Eight is pretty damn out there. Don't think I can trust this dude

anyone see Moonlight or Fences? Seems to be the year of good black films. The conspirator in me wonders if these were in production before or after the lack of black nominee scandal

THE HATEFUL EIGHT was openly inspired by THE THING to the point of using unused samples from that film's original score n shit

not seen those yet. i saw MORRIS IN AMERICA which was kinda lame. i've heard THE FITS is good.

Reactions: CiG