The Official Movie Thread

I'd have to throw Taxi Driver in there, might be cliché and not a slasher but I'm obsessed with that movie. I actually haven't seen The New York Ripper.
NY Ripper is like, my second favorite Fulci film. Unrepentant in its nastiness. You just have to get over the killers voice and the fact that he quacks like a duck. I'm not kidding. Of course its utterly ridiculous but it quickly becomes one of the most endearing aspects of the film. It gets bonus points for being authentic, having actually been shot in NYC and on 42nd St. Its always fun noticing all the titles on the theater marquees. Each viewing you'll notice something different.

Is Swamp Thing II any good? Worth buying?
It actually is, although its much more of a comedy. Some neat looking monsters and Heather Locklear at her peak hotness doesn't hurt. Sarah Douglas is also hot as fuck in it. Great opening credits too.

Clearly I need to track this down because Scum is one of my absolute favourites. I should check this thread out more often!
I think its out on DVD in the UK but it might be out of print by now. I wish someone would give more of Zetterling's stuff proper releases. Night Games and Doctor Glas, both of which I've waxed ecstatic about in this thread should have had Criterion releases by now.

Whilst browsing through this ridiculously long list of upcoming titles slated for release this year, this instantly caught my eye:

Roman Polanski‘s Based on a True Story “stars Eva Green as a writer who becomes involved with an obsessive admirer.” Written by Olivier Assayas.

Polanski and Eva Green! More here.

Written by the director together with Olivier Assayas (nominated for the César Award for Best Screenplay in 1986 for Rendez-vous and in 2015 for Clouds of Sils Maria [+]), the screenplay is an adaptation of Delphine de Vigan’s novel of the same name, which depicts a woman taking ownership of another woman’s life, much like a Hitchcockian thriller. The plot of the book revolves around a novelist who has just had a hugely successful book published. However, she feels uncomfortable about the consequences of her newfound fame and meets a woman who works as a biography ghost-writer. While their relationship is initially amicable, it soon starts to transform as this manipulative, predatory character takes control of the author’s life.

NY Ripper is like, my second favorite Fulci film. Unrepentant in its nastiness. You just have to get over the killers voice and the fact that he quacks like a duck. I'm not kidding. Of course its utterly ridiculous but it quickly becomes one of the most endearing aspects of the film. It gets bonus points for being authentic, having actually been shot in NYC and on 42nd St. Its always fun noticing all the titles on the theater marquees. Each viewing you'll notice something different.

That sounds amazing. I think I'll have to track this one down as soon as possible. I didn't even realise it was a Fulci.

It actually is, although its much more of a comedy. Some neat looking monsters and Heather Locklear at her peak hotness doesn't hurt. Sarah Douglas is also hot as fuck in it. Great opening credits too.

That opening credits was awesome and I have to say, the actual Swamp Thing costume itself looks a thousand times better than the first one.

Polanski and Eva Green! More here.

Sounds good.

OH MY GOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD
images

I had to.

Went thrifting today, found some cool DVDs (The Stuff, Airport, Airport 1976, Requiem For A Dream, La Femme Nikita, The Darjeeling Ltd.) but I found two DVDs that ended up being scratched as fuck.

So fucking annoying man.

The Pest (the comedy) and Barton Fink. The latter especially pissed me off because Coen Bros. films here are kinda tricky to find. It's the least scratched one (The Pest is beyond salvation) so I hope it works, but my hopes aren't high.

Such are the trials and tribulations of buying used, which I do all the time as its a great price saving tactic (though don't get me started on OOP DVD's that go for retarded prices). Thankfully I've never gotten a defective disc. What gets me is deceptive descriptions from sellers who list items as in "acceptable" or "good" condition and you open the package and its looks like it'd been though a tornado or something.

uhh
giphy.gif

Luckily I've never had that! I've only ever been fucked once by an online seller, sold me a Germ Attak cassette that was blank.
Given the amount of shitheads out there I'm stunned it hasn't happened more often. Its funny though how every now and then you'll get a modest seller who says something is "acceptable" but its actually like new!

Anyway, I see this Malgré la nuit (Despite the Night) movie popping up on a lot of years best lists from people who actually have good taste so I'm intrigued. It one anyone else's radars?

i hadn't heard of it actually but i'm aware of the director, he is verrrry hyped in some quarters. his first two movies SOMBRE and A NEW LIFE are considered masterpieces by many. out of interest where are these best of lists you're referring to? i'm always up for adding new things to my criticker wishlist.

out of interest where are these best of lists you're referring to? i'm always up for adding new things to my criticker wishlist.
Mainly this one which includes theatrical AND home video releases. Kat Ellinger and Samm Deighan's lists are best from that. Some hot chick I randomly friended on Facebook named it one of her favorites too.