The Official Movie Thread

i'm no expert on musicals but IMO la la land just isn't too great at the basics of the genre (like memorable songs, great voices, good acting while singing etc). it's also kind of stuck in between homage and satire without really landing either. it's pretty great looking at least.

i didn't know that about predator haha, that sounds like a weird combo.

Reactions: Aenima25
Keegan-Michael Key is supposed to be in it, so you just know The Predator is going to have some hammy comedy.

Anybody hear about the 2018 Scarface remake? Diego Luna is cast as Montana and apparently the Coens are writing the script.

Gosling strikes me as the Brad Pitt of this generation (i.e. pretty boy turned holy-shit-this-guy-can-act, a la Se7en). But I still think Pitt is a more versatile actor.

jared leto is the fucking worst. the blind thing doesn't surprise me 'cause he's a caricature of a method actor, he's like a low rent christian bale.

i don't think gosling has much range but he's good in movies like this and DRIVE where he mostly just has to be stoic and understated.

I don't like Leto at all, and I was very happy that Villeneuve minimized his role in BR2049.

I was impressed though with Gosling's acting during
his scene with Stelline (the memory designer). I realize that he's basically acting in extremes, but I was not expecting such a drastic shift from stoicism to rage.

i always disliked that movie and felt validated when everything cianfrance made since was undeniably terrible.

I just looked him up to see what else he's done and I noticed his upcoming movie is titled "Metalhead" and "centers on a metal drummer whose eardrums become ruptured and he becomes deaf. The film will feature the members of the band Jucifer portraying themselves." I can only imagine you're pretty stoked to see him take on your favorite genre of music.

Gosling strikes me as the Brad Pitt of this generation (i.e. pretty boy turned holy-shit-this-guy-can-act, a la Se7en). But I still think Pitt is a more versatile actor.

I don't like Leto at all, and I was very happy that Villeneuve minimized his role in BR2049.

I was impressed though with Gosling's acting during
his scene with Stelline (the memory designer). I realize that he's basically acting in extremes, but I was not expecting such a drastic shift from stoicism to rage.
that was the only time he showed emotion in the whole fucking movie. i was hoping he would have a yelling match with Leto, who would show an over-the-top psychotic side of his character, but nope

during the sex scene with his virtual girlfriend superimposed over the hooker (who was also hot as fuck) he did not even act horny, just stood there stone faced, i would have been a slobbering dog, what a joke of an actor

i always disliked that movie and felt validated when everything cianfrance made since was undeniably terrible.

So this is a bit of a tangent but bear with me; in the Civilization 5 community there emerged, in the past couple years, the phenomenon of AI-only games. They became massively popular for a while (relative to the size of the community) and got some attention from mainstream gaming media. Basically someone started a game on a colossal Earth map, with 40+ AI-controlled civilizations in historically accurate starting positions, then spectated as the AIs duked it out for world domination. These games were presented in a serialized form, each part being an imgur album of around 50-80 images, each image with a paragraph of written narration explaining what was going on.

The most popular of these AI-only games, the Battle Royale Mk. II (Mk. I ended inconclusively due to technical difficulties), had different narrators for each part, to lighten the workload. These were generally just volunteers from the community. But one part had a high-profile narrator; Ben Coccio, screenwriter of The Place Beyond the Pines.

The style of the narration varied greatly from writer to writer. Some just explained what was going on in a fairly straightforward manner, others tried to be funny or to spice up the narration with invented stories to characterize the AI leaders better or things like that. Out of all the 50+ narrators or whatever who worked on the Battle Royale Mk. II, Ben Coccio was the absolute worst. His narration (which you can find here) was full of cringeworthy attempts at humor and every paragraph of narration was bloated with tryhard writerly flair. So yeah, can't say I particularly want to watch any movie he's written.

Every time I watch Death Proof I enjoy all the little purposely vintage hipster moments, the realistic carnage, the sassy ladies and Stuntman Mike is the man.

But it all utterly falls apart when Tarantino's antagonist that is established as a psychopath stalker perfectly okay with putting himself through the pain of a car crash to murder his victims, devolves into a snivelling pussy when he gets shot ONCE in the fucking arm.

I'm all in with the women's revenge stuff, but I can never get over the retarded plot hole of this specific movie. Tarantino's worst film, probably.

As much as I love the Kill Bill films, they clearly marked the start of Tarantino's obsession with making empty genre parodies, at least Kill Bill didn't fall apart halfway through and it kept my attention like a good genre homage rollercoaster should.

Django: Unchained on the other hand... Flirts with hitting that sweet spot but just crumbles under the weight of shitty out of place radio rap songs.

Boogie nights, awesome movie. Wahlberg not the most believable actor but he's entertaining. Heather graham and Julianne Moore were hot af

Every time I watch Death Proof I enjoy all the little purposely vintage hipster moments, the realistic carnage, the sassy ladies and Stuntman Mike is the man.

But it all utterly falls apart when Tarantino's antagonist that is established as a psychopath stalker perfectly okay with putting himself through the pain of a car crash to murder his victims, devolves into a snivelling pussy when he gets shot ONCE in the fucking arm.

I'm all in with the women's revenge stuff, but I can never get over the retarded plot hole of this specific movie. Tarantino's worst film, probably.

Im glad to see this was a problem for someone else.

Watch the car crash at the beginning, then turn it off.

Reactions: CiG
i'm no expert on musicals but IMO la la land just isn't too great at the basics of the genre (like memorable songs, great voices, good acting while singing etc). it's also kind of stuck in between homage and satire without really landing either. it's pretty great looking at least.

i didn't know that about predator haha, that sounds like a weird combo.

I agree with you, "La La Land" looks fine in some aspects, however it's not the best among other musicals. I liked its plot because the stories about art people are one of my favourites, however I didn't like romatic element in it. Gosling is a rather good actor but his singing skills aren't so good as for the musical and I didn't like too much in general the songs in it. The only one which was pleasant for me is "City Of Stars", probably the best one in this musical in my opinion :) I think that this musical is only a new popular commercial hit, not a really talented one.
One of my friends who's a great fan of musicals also suggested me to watch live "Hamilton" which is on stage now https://hamiltontickets.org/ but after my experience with "La La Land" I'm really not sure about it. It's a very famous thing as I understood but is its popularity worth its quality? Maybe someone here watched it and can share with the opinion? I would be glad for the recommendations :rolleyes: