The Official Movie Thread

Justice League -

Given that I have not really watched more than bits and pieces of any of the DCU movies because I couldn't stand how desperately dreary and boring they were with what I saw (Wonder Woman being the exception), I had very low expectations for what I would witness when I attended a
viewing of this movie.

I was therefore quite happy to find myself quite entertained by Justice League. It wasn't anywhere near as dark and depressing as the other movies despite the storyline. I also didn't find myself bored during the action sequences like I did with Thor Ragnarok.
From the assembling of the varied team members, to the giant set/battle pieces, there was the right mix of humor, pathos and downright thrilling heroics.

I won't say that it was a perfect movie since there were two parts of the movie that I just didn't care for. I thought the villain was another in a long line of supposed world beaters that came off as more of a buffoonish cartoon than someone I would need to be afraid of.
And the movie did drag a little in spots when they had some character development scenes with minor characters. I know that they are important, and not all of them dragged, but at times I found myself think, "Get On With It Already".

That said, those were my only noteworthy complaints about the film and I can only hope that this is the path the DCU movies will take from here on out. This is movie is a good example of how to get me into a theater for a DC movie.

Minor non-plot spoiler warning: There are 2 credit scenes. I won't go into what they were but for those who haven't been warned that the end credit scenes exist, stay through the end.

Reactions: AllShallFall
damn, what do you have against In Bruges? never watched seven

eh it's alright, it has some laughs, it's just too glib for the emotional stuff to feel at all sincere, and some of the humour's way too tryhard edgy for me. and 7 psychopaths was like a worse version of the same thing so i may just not be a mcdonagh fan.

Like to give some publicity to a great blog, HYPNOTIC CRESCENDOS. The main focus is Italian genre cinema, giallo in particular but its not just a review site, there's all sorts of interesting things covered. For example this look at the importance of design in giallo, or an article dedicated to the various types of phones found in Ruggero Deodato's Dial: Help (totally disagree with her opinion on the film by the way). Did you know Dario Argento directed a fashion show? Read about it! The most recent piece looks at cultural changes in 1980's Italian society represented by Donald Pleasence's struggle to eat spaghetti in a fast food joint.

Just watched Rampart, a 2011 Woody Harrelson drama where he plays a veteran LAPD cop losing his shit. Pretty good, Harrelson’s character makes the film of course.

Reactions: CiG
Anybody else see this?

Pretty good crime/prison/gangster flick.

Yeah seen that. It's that kind of movie where prison is portrayed as super rough as shit tough guy place but in the end the prisoners control everything. Another similar movie I saw recently was Brawl In Cell Block 99 with Vince Vaughn. He gets in prison as well and then has to deal with stuff inside. Was more gorey and not trying to be so serious. All in all both those movies are enjoyable but kind of silly.

I haven't finished Buscemi's Animal Factory yet but that one follows more of the BFFs behind bars kind of thing.