The Official Movie Thread

I liked the last jedi, fuck the haters. Way better than force awakens. They took some liberties with the storyline and characters, that's a good thing

Enjoyed The Last Jedi, but not as fantastic as people were raving about. It was an uneven film, and the first half felt more complicated than it needed to be (also, the entire plot line involving
Fin and his new girlfriend going to look for the master code-breaker felt unnecessary and contrived purely so they could introduce a love interest; the only justification for having that narrative will be if Benicio del Toro's character comes back in the third film
). The second half had some really epic sequences, and I definitely got some goosebumps in appropriate moments. Overall, an enjoyable movie.

Also, Rey is an incredible character and honestly more likable and compelling than Luke ever was; and it's bolstered by the fact that she's probably the best actor in the entire franchise. I'm down with her, don't care about the unexplained facets of her character (i.e. how she's somehow expertly tapped into the force).

how did yall feel about LOOPER out of interest? it didn't quite work for me narratively but was a pretty fascinating and awesome looking spin on THE TERMINATOR i thought. its best scene has always stayed with me:
paul dano's harrowing death

Along with Primer, this is one of my favorite time travel movies. As Shane Carruth (director of Primer) has noted, time travel narratives are, by their very nature, unwieldy and contradictory, and so at some point you have to postpone reality and throw caution to the wind. I thought Looper wasn't quite as narratively self-conscious as Primer was, but it still did the trick, for me.

And the spoiler you mention is indeed one of the most chilling parts of the film. Also, love the Terminator comparison, I hadn't thought of that.

I don't understand how she was useless.
She convinces Luke to intervene, manipulates Kylo to kill Snoke, and lifts the rocks away from the cave. That all feels pretty instrumental to me.

think the first one is hard to differetiate between Leia and Rey. Rey just dipped and Luke decided to do the right thing after Yoda burned the church down

Kylo seemed like he wanted to kill Snoke, don't think Rey 'tricked' him in any way

rock thing was dumb, but yes she did one meaningful thing with .3 minutes remaining in the film!

after being the central character in Force Awakens, she is barely a support cast member. This seems to be a Poe film if anything

think the first one is hard to differetiate between Leia and Rey. Rey just dipped and Luke decided to do the right thing after Yoda burned the church down

Kylo seemed like he wanted to kill Snoke, don't think Rey 'tricked' him in any way

rock thing was dumb, but yes she did one meaningful thing with .3 minutes remaining in the film!

after being the central character in Force Awakens, she is barely a support cast member. This seems to be a Poe film if anything

Replies w/o spoilers:

1. I disagree, and don't think it would have happened without Rey.

2. I agree, which is why I said "manipulate." Rey sensed it and acted on it.

3. Okay then.

I also agree that it was very much a Poe film, and directed more attention to him than to Rey's character development.

Last edited:
1. I disagree, and don't think it would have happened without Rey.

think the other two mentioned characters have the same logic: this wouldn't have happened without them

2. I agree, which is why I said "manipulate." Rey sensed it and acted on it.
when did this happen? I remember it being rather silent and she failed to attack Snoke and she was all "omg your good kill him be on the good side" and Kylo was like "hell yah i'll kill him but its for my own quest for power"

I also agree that it was very much a Poe film, and directed more attention to him than to Rey's character development.

which is somewhat interesting how you can couple your original claim and this. The lead of the new trilogy gets pushed out by a guy who died and came back to life for a plot point in the first one. And Poe is a really fucking bad character, at least Rey they made a good character for stupid reasons

also seems like the original trilogy wasn't necessarily a character film but rather a film of characters. maybe that's why the next 5 or so have failed so

think the other two mentioned characters have the same logic: this wouldn't have happened without them

Sure, but that doesn't mean that Rey is useless.

when did this happen? I remember it being rather silent and she failed to attack Snoke and she was all "omg your good kill him be on the good side" and Kylo was like "hell yah i'll kill him but its for my own quest for power"
I think it was happening since her time with Luke. She said that she could turn him, and she did.

which is somewhat interesting how you can couple your original claim and this. The lead of the new trilogy gets pushed out by a guy who died and came back to life for a plot point in the first one. And Poe is a really fucking bad character, at least Rey they made a good character for stupid reasons

also seems like the original trilogy wasn't necessarily a character film but rather a film of characters. maybe that's why the next 5 or so have failed so

No objections. It's simply the case that she remains a lead character who shares the stage in this film with another character. I don't have a problem with that or see it as somehow rendering her "useless," which was the word you used.

I know, I know, my feminism is showing. :heh:

She's a better character, and I'd say the same if she was a man. Sorry.

thoughts on this tweet:

But what does tire me are viewers who go out of their way to point out “plot holes” or apply weaponized YouTube-caliber snark to identify “everything wrong with [insert movie]” as if they’re approaching a film like a math problem. They want to “solve” the film, not review it.

-- doesn't make any sense to me

(source: https://twitter.com/ctblauvelt/status/944694860531068930 )