The Official Movie Thread

Watching:

a-history-of-violence-movie-poster_2445476-288x400.jpeg

Second time watching this one, first time since I actually bought it.
Don't really remember too much about it, I remember Ed Harris giving a good performance though. Seeing Viggo on screen reminds me, getting to be time I rewatched the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Ed Harris is a solid actor to say the least.

I was listening to a Jocko Podcast about Chesty Puller a few days ago, and it got me thinking about how long it'd been since I'd seen Patton (they shared an aggressive approach to warfighting). The cost to buy wasn't that much more than the cost to rent so picked up the 40th anniversary edition. Neat interview at the beginning with Francis Coppola about how he was fired from the project, partially for writing in the opening scene (which later became potentially the most memorable part of the film).

I remember liking Patton well the last time I watched it (likely well over a decade ago). If anything it has gotten better with age. Scott's character portrayal really captured what else I've read about the near myth of a man. An eccentric, delusional, conceited, masterful tactician. Coppola really did an excellent job hitting each of those angles, with the several scenes where Patton makes his claims related to his belief that he was a reincarnation of many historical generals/military leaders. It also captured his fear that he was not going to maximize his moment in this conflict, a fear left over from WWI after he failed to make a sufficient mark in that conflict; there may not have been a happier man on earth when WWII started. Malden's Omar Bradley presents as a cool, grounded contrast to Patton's fire. Unfortunately, as the movie is about Patton, portrayals of Bradley are too few to capture the downsides of his timidity in command, while the downsides of Patton's conceit and aggression are routinely in view (although importantly, never endangering the mission on the ground). Another unfortunate byproduct of the monumental task of portraying Patton's WWII highlights, is that we never get to see the 40+ years prior.

A TV series on Patton's full life would absolutely be worth watching if someone can be found to recapture Scott's knack for portraying Patton.

Reactions: CiG
A series would be fantastic. I have the mini-series about Eisenhower from 1979 called Ike with Robert Duvall in the lead role. Quite good actually, except that I had already seen Patton and so Darren McGavin's portrayal of General Patton in the mini-series was hard to swallow lmao. George C. Scott is brilliant, it just couldn't compare.

Reactions: Dak
Viggo's post-Aragorn run of films is quite impressive in general. Hidalgo, A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, Appaloosa (Ed Harris and Viggo together again with such great chemistry), Good, The Road and even though I haven't seen A Dangerous Method or Alatriste I hear nothing but good things.

His ability to dance between independent films, art films and mainstream cinema is noteworthy.

Speaking of, just came across this:

Fingers crossed for a series. If they were smart they'd crowdfund it out the ass.

I think they could do a lot of Indy level shortrun series (Gaunts Ghosts, Ciaphas Cain) but even without reading much of the Horus Heresy, the HH series could supplant Game of Thrones on HBO. Downside/upside is imagine 40k becoming trendy.

At this point I think it's inevitable just going by the amount of new non-gaming fans who either used Horus Heresy as a gateway into the hobby or strictly only read that series. Also that Youtuber The Golden One has caused a small wave of new fans because he talks about Horus Heresy a lot. Another non-gamer.

As much as I would love to see short-runs based on things like Gaunts Ghosts or Shira Calpurnia's trilogy, I think the smartest move would be to turn Horus Heresy into a series, since it has reach beyond the actual gaming community.

Viggo's post-Aragorn run of films is quite impressive in general. Hidalgo, A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, Appaloosa (Ed Harris and Viggo together again with such great chemistry), Good, The Road and even though I haven't seen A Dangerous Method or Alatriste I hear nothing but good things.

His ability to dance between independent films, art films and mainstream cinema is noteworthy.

Speaking of, just came across this:

i'm not really big on THE ROAD or A DANGEROUS METHOD, but i love his other cronenberg performances and i'd recommend JAUJA and FAR FROM MEN too, both unorthodox westerns with really good viggo performances.

Far from Men I have and enjoyed, looking up Jauja now.

I plan to rewatch The Road again soon actually. Might as well just go on a Viggo binge in general.

This is a fantastic made for Kiwi TV movie from 1994 from the brilliant David Blyth, the king of New Zealand cult film. Rooted in Maori mythology and featuring beautiful authentic Maori wood carvings which play a major part in the narrative, it gets so much done in a mere 45 minutes. I have no idea how Blyth feels about it being on YouTube so watch it and enjoy it as long as it's up:

Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
I love the way Ryu and Ken were played by 'generic asian guy' and 'generic white guy' actors and made into support cast characters, then a guy with the farthest thing from an American accent (JCVD) was cast in the role of the most American character ever, as well as a canonically support role character, as the lead of the film. :rolleyes:

11/10 bring back the 1990's.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Also E. Honda is apparently hawaiian and Sagat is mexican :lol: Charlie and Blanka are not only the same person(wtf) but they actually made some retarded plotline out of it. They literally butchered every character in the story. And yeah and its like they wrote some of those lines just to fuck with JCVD and give us the lulz.

I honestly dont think the writer/director knew anything about SF outside of being shown a few pictures of the characters or something.

edit: best part of the movie...

BR00TAL

Last edited:
Reactions: arg and CiG