The Official Movie Thread

Just re-watched Hitchcock's Murder! A bit clumsy being one of his earlier ones, but the climactic scene is epic and still shocking today.

ZyHn2Ve.jpg

sesame street type puppets in a horrendously inappropriate for children movie
am i the only one that's been waiting the last 2 decades for this movie to be made??

Harmony Korine is extremely hit or miss for me, but this might be cool. Matthew McConaughey in the lead.

Looks like a cool Belgian bullet ballet.

Interesting looking dystopian science fiction, might interest @Einherjar86?

Jason Momoa needs to do more bad-ass back-to-basics action flicks, he's one of the few actors around these days that has a chance to take the genre back to the glory days even a little bit. Also need to see that biker drama he did called Road to Paloma and that dystopian (I think?) black comedy he did The Bad Batch. Jim Carrey plays a weird homeless wasteland dweller.

maxresdefault.jpg

oh god idk what to make of that korine trailer but i'm sure it'll look great at least.

i think i'm done with cantet/forzani's masturbatory genre abstractions re: let the corpses tan, they just aren't for me.

trailer dump of some intriguing movies from this year:
speaking of deep-sea genre movies, i've heard this statham thing is fun:

some kind of budget HEAT thing, heard it's good trash:

probably the most praised movie at cannes. glen from the walking dead, playing the... villain?:

29 year old director killed himself after making this, his debut film, which was inspired by a quote from cormac mccarthy's all the pretty horses
(he thought that the world’s heart beat at some terrible cost and that the world’s pain and its beauty moved in a relationship of diverging equity and that in this headlong deficit the blood of multitudes might ultimately be exacted for the vision of a single flower.)
:

i assume this was mentioned already, but nic cage starring in a movie directed by the beyond the black rainbow (a cool retro '80s sci-fi thing that referenced cronenberg and venom) guy, who happens to be the son of the FIRST BLOOD II and COBRA director:

new gaspar noe:

i've heard this described as a spike lee movie for people who think the real spike lee's lost the plot:

bit of an act of killing vibe:

claire denis doing something different:

new von trier lol:

zombie movie starring the oslo 31st august guy:

experimental thriller thing i might hate but will watch. i feel like video games already did this kinda thing but movies haven't so much:

"Follows the exploits of husband/wife moguls trapped with a deadbeat couch potato brother in a hallucinogenic 1-900 world of 1991. Everyone is plotting to kill everyone else, including themselves, and ultimately do. Inspired by the corporate take-over era of the late 80s/early 90s and all the dark, atmospheric, neo-noir thrillers that came along with it."

train to busan director:

"A love triangle featuring the trophy girlfriend of a petty drug lord, caught up in a web of luxury and violence in a modern dark gangster tale set in the beautiful port city of Bodrum on the Turkish Riviera."

new alex ross perry <3

new jafar panahi <3

new mike leigh <3

some kind of crude brummy comedy, looks fun:

after like 40 years of various troubles, some kind of finalised version of orson welles' last film has been released:

samurai movie from tsukamoto (tetsuo: the iron man):

i read this is a better jody hill movie than the actual last jody hill movie. as a big OBSERVE & REPORT fan i'm on board:

not a trailer, but a cool looking detective movie called DESTROYER, starring a barely recognisable nicole kidman
Destroyer-Kidman.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Epic thrift haul:

IMGP0126.JPG

Was pretty surprised to find a Akira Kurosawa, a Lucio Fulci, Nighthawks and that newish Paradox film with Tony Jaa in the support, Sammo Hung doing the action choreography and directed by Wilson Yip (Ip Man films, SPL films etc).

Decided to grab Superman Returns because:
SO ANYWAY

i think 'superman returns' is great and one of the most audacious films ever spawned. there's just nothing else out there that approaches a pop culture icon with such sadness and maturity, such grandiose overarching thematic exploration. i could not give a flying fuck if it's slow going and i don't agree that it's more of an essay than a movie, it speaks primarily through its images which are breathtaking and exquisitely nuanced. yes it's pomo as fuck but it does NOT sacrifice its emotional wallop, it's just that as a superman film it tends to be approached with a rather blinkered mindset and it couldn't be further from meeting expectations. even if it doesn't always work it's so insanely ambitious that i can't help admiring it, i don't get why stuff like 'the assassination of jesse james' gets all the love but 'superman returns' gets blasted.

If you let me down, I'll pay Ozz to throw six parentheses at you IRL.

Also I watched JCVD's Death Warrant last night, don't think I'd ever seen it before but it's definitely one of his best films IMO. For a 90's prison thriller film it's actually really fucking violent and gritty and drenched in a kind of slow-burning paranoia. Maybe it's just because the last prison film I watched was Island of Fire (Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Tony Leung Ka-fai) which was kinda disappointing because it seemed gritty and like it was going to be fucking awesome but just kinda... fizzled and flopped.

It's definitely cheesy but in the best kind of way. Miss OSTs like this too.