The Official Movie Thread

Check out The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. He's not the lead but close enough and it rules.

I've been trying to find that one film by him that justifies his massive fame and I was failing until no country recommended that one.

Edit: also, avoid McQ at all costs. Boring drivel.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
john ford is widely considered a master and he directed a bunch of john wayne movies. THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALENCE is probably the best of them that i've seen, but STAGECOACH and THE SEARCHERS are also good if you can get past the ultra dated comedy in places. also heard good things about THE QUIET MAN, THE LONG VOYAGE HOME, SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON, FORT APACHE, all directed by ford and starring wayne.

RIO BRAVO is pretty great too, directed by howard hawks who was a huge influence on guys like john carpenter, michael mann, tarantino, scorsese etc. he also did RED RIVER, EL DORADO and HATARI! with wayne, all on my wishlist.

he was also in a movie directed by DIRTY HARRY's don siegel, called THE SHOOTIST, which also stars jimmy stewart, lauren bacall, ron howard, john carradine and scatman crothers, which sounds insane.

i think wayne was more of an iconic presence and embodiment of american values than a guy with good acting range, which explains why it seems to have taken great directors to put him in the right context and get the best out of him. supposedly he mostly just played himself.

Last edited:
I recently watched “The Sacred Killing of a Deer” and enjoyed it’s atmosphere a lot. It’s definitely one of those films you should read up on afterwards but basically it’s like a “modern” day Greek tragedy.

I also finished “The Innocents” and I really fucking loved this movie. I liked how it toyed with the idea if there was some supernatural thing happening or if Ms. Giddens was actually going crazy. It implies a lot of stuff but it’s not particularly a violent or bloody movie too. And the black and white just adds another layer to it. Like you almost think you see something weird but you’re not sure if you’re seeing things. Really cool movie

my criticker review of combat shock was "imagine watching ERASERHEAD while suffering PTSD and dying of a heroin overdose." great movie.

i love the killing of a sacred deer, the 'villain' is absolutely one-of-a-kind. i'd highly recommend watching his previous movie THE LOBSTER if you haven't, it's kind of similar tonally and also stars farrell. there's something hilarious to me in how lanthimos delivers such fucked up absurdity with such a rigorous poker face.

and yeah the innocents is great, the rare adaptation of a classic literary source (henry james' the turn of the screw) that might surpass the original. might be the most atmospheric haunted house movie i've ever seen, i'd love to find more like it.

Watching

NjWyic7.jpg

ok so i have something to admit, i've never seen a John Wayne flick because for some reason i always thought they would probably suck. Is Rio Bravo any good?

Rio Bravo is so charming it's almost impossible to dislike. It's all set within the confines of a one-street town as the good guys are stuck in a stand-off defending the jailhouse against overwhelming numbers. So there is a constant sense of tension but it's genuinely funny too and it has a great buddy-pic feel to it, with the interplay between Wayne, Dean Martin, Angie Dickinson and Walter Brennan (you can actually see its influence in terms of the dynamic in Star Wars with Luke/Han/Leia).

I would start with Rio Bravo and then maybe The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - although the latter is more of a Jimmy Stewart vehicle.

Then you need Wayne as the anti-hero: The Searchers and Red River. These are pre-empting Eastwood, taking Wayne's tough masculinity to toxic extremes.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
IMGP0116.JPG

Picked this up the other day, about to watch it now. I believe this is the last Neil Marshall film I have to see and then I'm done with all his directed feature films until his new Hellboy reboot comes out.

Apparently Neil himself admitted that he was heavily inspired by Mad Max, Escape from New York and 28 Days Later with this one and came up with the idea while thinking about how cool it would be to see futuristic soldiers facing off with medieval knights in a dystopian setting. I mean, this one does seem to be critically panned and a financial flop but the concept sounds entertaining as fuck.

Not sure I've seen Sphere??

DON'T. I mean, if you find it for a few dollars maybe it's worth it in all honesty, but it pretty much stinks.

But its in the same class as Leviathan, Endless Descent ( aka The Rift), Deep Rising etc.

Don't think I've seen any of these but that trailer looks fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Was kinda disappointed by Ryuhei Kitamura's Alive. It wasn't bad at all but considering it was the follow-up to Versus which was one of the greatest post-80's action films I've ever seen with non-stop violence, bullets, limb-chopping, zombies and a lunatic supernatural plot it just felt so flat and pedestrian by comparison.