The Official Movie Thread

That's great! According to IMDB the film was known as Аэроплан in the USSR which, in typically grim and dour Russian fashion, translates to simply AIRPLANE. :lol:

Great film, my VHS copy died years ago.

Edit: wait I'm a dipshit, that's just the original title of the film, I've only ever known it as Flying High lmao fail.

Reactions: viewerfromnihil
some kind of budget HEAT thing, heard it's good trash:

Damn, this does look Heat-ish, or even maybe more like Mann's Miami Vice by way of Training Day? Looks like good popcorn cinema, definitely have to keep an eye out for this one. Apparently the director was the screenwriter for A Man Apart which wasn't a half bad vigilante flick.

probably the most praised movie at cannes. glen from the walking dead, playing the... villain?:

Whew great trailer, super intrigued. Actually made me feel creeped out in some spots.

i assume this was mentioned already, but nic cage starring in a movie directed by the beyond the black rainbow (a cool retro '80s sci-fi thing that referenced cronenberg and venom) guy, who happens to be the son of the FIRST BLOOD II and COBRA director:

Yeah I posted this at some point, looks fucking awesome IMO. Never heard of Beyond the Black Rainbow though so I'm looking that shit up asap based on what you just said, also didn't know the director is the son of that director, that's awesome. Pretty sure he also directed Tombstone but I could be wrong. Cobra rules eternally.

Ironically I think Nicolas Cage is underrated as an action/violence actor because his noir/drama/thriller performances are so notoriously either bad (Deadfall lmao) or genius (Leaving Las Vegas) that they overshadow his performances in films like Kick-Ass (not exactly a great film but the action scenes are killer) or the scenes in Joe when he plays the tough guy role or even just Face/Off's and Con-Air's general action flick badassery, crummy southern accents aside with the latter. Mandy itself looks ultra-violent and I cannot wait.

Nicolas Cage is slowly devolving into something that is no longer even human lmao look at this interview, he's a living meme.

claire denis doing something different:

This looks pretty interesting, Robert Pattinson seems to turn up in the strangest places for someone who got famous doing teen films like Twilight and Harry Potter.

new von trier lol:

Pretty sure I've shared this one too but anyway it looks great. It'll be cool to see Matt Dillon do an actually good movie again, was Pawn Shop Chronicles even good? I don't even remember anymore.

train to busan director:

Fun fact: apparently this is the first live-action superhero film ever made in South Korea.

Looks like Shaolin Soccer levels of goofy fun, is it just me or do Asian filmmakers have a particular, hilarious way of using CGI? They're like the modern equivalent of old splatter directors who used practical effects in their films in a way that was almost self-mockery.

some kind of crude brummy comedy, looks fun:

Siouxsie and The Banshees wailing over some kind of heterosexual modern Withnail & I, looks really cool.

samurai movie from tsukamoto (tetsuo: the iron man):

Penis exploded. This looks great, pretty much an #instabuy when it comes to Tsukamoto.

i read this is a better jody hill movie than the actual last jody hill movie. as a big OBSERVE & REPORT fan i'm on board:

Man I thought Observe & Report was incredibly weak but maybe that's just because my erection still hasn't gone down from The Foot Fist Way. Eastbound and Down and to a lesser extent Vice Principles are also fucking fantastic. I'm hoping this new one is a lot better than O&R personally. Jody might be smart in going back to working with Danny McBride, clearly the two guys just go well together.

Only interesting new film I've stumbled across lately is this one:

Australian psychological crime film that kinda feels like Alfred Hitchcock by way of Nicolas Winding Refn or something wild like that, pretty keen to see it.

Good trailer dump my dude. That was a fun ride.

i'm glad at least somebody watched all those!

also oh god i don't even know if i still agree with that superman returns post, that was ten years ago haha. almost evvvverybody hates that movie. i also say in that post i hate anyone who thinks there will be blood is better than no country for old men, and i am now one of those people, so

Reactions: CiG
anybody planning on watching any of the upcoming superhero movies??
or are you guys burned out on superheros in theaters??

Watching

tumblr_m0zyocvrrs1rne776o1_1280.jpg

I thought Superman Returns was great/maybe fantastic (been a long time), not sure how you could make a better movie than that about the world's most boring superhero.
Is that the one where Superman was hospitalized or something? :lol: i thought it was horrible and couldn't wait to leave the theater. I swore to never watch another DC film afterwords, but i ended up watching The Green Lantern years later .. which wasn't all that bad.

saw The Nun, I knew it wasn't going to be good but holy shit how terrible. feels like hollywood doesn't even write scripts for half of these shit movies anymore

Reactions: CiG
Ummm... I want to fucking see this:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/09/tiff-film-review-high-life/

Anyone looking for a full-blown orgy of outlandish spectacle and boundary-pushing will likely be disappointed, though. High Life is, at its lost and searching heart, every bit as stark and remote as its ship appears while suspended in the darkest reaches of space. This isn’t weird in the way that explosive works of provocation, or absurdity, or even loopy humor are weird. High Life is weird in the way that someone casually dropping a completely unnerving observation about the meaninglessness of life into an otherwise light and casual conversation is weird. It is, for all of its action, and unexpected hints of the underbelly of humanity, and bodily fluids, actually quite a languid, melancholy film. It doesn’t shock its viewers, nor does Denis seem to have any interest in doing so. It quietly, meticulously unmoors them instead.

Speaking of Stallone I watched Nighthawks last night.

Damn good film, kind of felt like a more conventional/less stylish John Carpenter film and even though it's about lone wolf terrorism it had a very political/spy thriller film vibe similar to stuff like Scorpio and Day of the Jackal. Directed by Bruce Malmuth who didn't do much but he did direct the Seagal film Hard to Kill, this one is a lot better than that IMO.

Stallone is the lead, Billy Dee Williams plays his partner and Joe Spinell (Zito from Maniac) plays a small role as their lieutenant:

weff.jpg

fs.jpg

Rutger Hauer plays a fucking amazing villain:

Wulfgar-threatening-an-old-lady.jpg

There's a funny small scene where Stallone is transferred to a different department by Joe Spinell and Stallone angrily grabs his arm and Spinell spins around and tells him to "listen sucker" hahaha. It felt so East Coast to hear it.

I mean, you just know you're going to love a movie when this is the opening scene iirc:

Reactions: RadicalThrasher