The Official Movie Thread

I'm curious: The Void, Mandy, The Endless, Lovecraft Country...

Is there an uptick in mainstream Lovecraftian horror these past couple years? (mainstream for Lovecraftian horror, that is) Or do I just not follow popular TV and cinema closely enough.

Reactions: CiG
Well, Superman Returns was awesome. Prime example of always checking things out for yourself rather than listening to other people, especially when it comes to overwhelming negativity like this movie seems to generate.

Definitely see what some mean when they said it was much darker than the average Superman film. The scene where Superman is weakened by the kryptonite and Luther and his henchmen kick the shit out of him was very memorable and almost offensive with how miserably they treat him, the way he's crawling through dirty puddles as they kick him and grab at his hair was almost reminiscent of an exploitation rape scene or something. Maybe it's just me?

Anyway, about to throw on:

timthumb.php

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Well, Superman Returns was awesome.

That and Spiderman 2 are the only movies ive ever left during. i remember that opening scene with the plane crash being the most illogical and stupid scene ive seen in awhile

and then Lex Luthor's whole thing was "LAND! THATS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!" was hilariously bad

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
but honestly, if a movie doesn't give the simple and proper detail needed to demonstrate gravity, what makes me think they can actually create a movie worthwhile?

Well, most of the film (and Superman in general) is a literal violation of gravity anyway. Superman lifts a continent off the planet and throws it into space. Specifically which part of the plane scene bothered you? The way he drops it to the ground?

Well, most of the film (and Superman in general) is a literal violation of gravity anyway. Superman lifts a continent off the planet and throws it into space. Specifically which part of the plane scene bothered you? The way he drops it to the ground?

of course there's a suspension of disbelief inherent in a superhero flick, but if Superman picks up a planet with his fucking pinky toe is that not going to upset you?

man I saw that movie 12 years ago, I don't remember anything about it other than it being horrible.

the fucking hair, that's what it was. superman's hair just ate rocket exhaust like it's nothing.all right, all these fuckers would have passed out from the g forces. and i think this was the first superhero movie where i realized they never considered what the consequences of are cars being thrown around and just normal civil destruction.

superman is a shit hero anyways

:lol: rms, you have such strange expectations when it comes to films, I have to say...

its because of people like you and CIG the mainstream movie marketplace is like it is!!!!

What can I say, I occasionally enjoy a movie that doesn't demand of me a critical awareness of every implausible detail and scenario. I do that in my work every day. I don't need Hollywood to give me expertly-crafted films.

I just saw Searching this past weekend--a highly contrived, at times unbelievable narrative. But I was entertained for 90 minutes.

What can I say, I occasionally enjoy a movie that doesn't demand of me a critical awareness of every implausible detail and scenario. I do that in my work every day. I don't need Hollywood to give me expertly-crafted films.

I just saw Searching this past weekend--a highly contrived, at times unbelievable narrative. But I was entertained for 90 minutes.

I like the casual I'm too busy being smart at all day while also acting like it's difficult to notice overtly obvious mistakes

I like the casual I'm too busy being smart at all day while also acting like it's difficult to notice overtly obvious mistakes

:rofl: That's exactly what it reads on my CV.

I never said it was difficult to notice overtly obvious mistakes. I said I'm not critically aware of them, meaning I don't find them worth my critical attention.

its because of people like you and CIG the mainstream movie marketplace is like it is!!!!

not sure this makes sense given the mainstream despises superman returns and modern comic book movies don't really resemble it

i mean i actually love genre stuff that does manage to be plausible, especially action sequences where the characters seem legitimately trained and interact with the environment, the weapons/tech behave how they're supposed to, the geography is mapped out and clear, bodies react to impact in a realistic way etc. these things increase immersion and are fucking cool besides. in this context though, what you're really saying is there's no version of superman that would appeal to you - a lack of respect for gravity is kind of crucial to the lore lol

man I saw that movie 12 years ago, I don't remember anything about it other than it being horrible.

Oh I'm sure we should all just trust your shitty memory on it then. You definitely shouldn't rewatch it and see what you think today of the film overall rather than autistically obsessing over a single scene. Did you even watch the whole film, since you said you walked out and both scenes you've mentioned are scenes very early in the film?

of course there's a suspension of disbelief inherent in a superhero flick, but if Superman picks up a planet with his fucking pinky toe is that not going to upset you?

Sure, but nothing in this film even approaches the craziness of picking up a planet with a pinky toe.

the fucking hair, that's what it was. superman's hair just ate rocket exhaust like it's nothing.

What did you expect? For Superman to have his hair crisped off his head anytime he comes into contact with heat, fire, lava etc? He's Superman you absolute mong.

Actually it's people like you who support Hollywood by going to the cinema, since ticket sales are truly what deems a film successful in Hollywood. I just wait and buy the movie for $2 ten years later.