The Official Movie Thread

Alex Proyas' (Australian director of The Crow and Dark City) debut feature film Spirits of the Air, Gremlins of the Clouds has just been remastered from original 16mm negative and re-released by Umbrella. Always wanted to see this one, it's a very DIY post-apocalyptic film of the Le Dernier Combat style where it's less about action and more about atmosphere and symbolism (from what I can tell/have heard).

15935732444spiritsostill.jpg

9lehu-EZKP7TW6N40-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1534490599264._RI_SX940_.jpg

Last edited:
:lol: thats my point ya dolt. if punk ass wind can move it why cant fire burn it!

Flame retardant substances come in all kinds of shapes and structures. Fire retardant foams are sprayed on buildings, along with malleable gels. Water is resistant to fire and the wind moves it easily.

> conflates hair's weight with Superman's generally indestructible body

i didnt say he would be burned ya doofus

really i was talking about the passengers on the plane. then i noticed he didnt get burned as the plane flew right over his head.

baked into his flesh?

hair isnt flesh!

the real problem with superman is that he's a lazy hero. he's exactly like a human...but super! but this is a tangent, i don't go to superman films upset that superman exists.

Superman is definitely not a favourite of mine in terms of superheroes, but I forgive a lot of the character's flaws and blandness because he was created in the 30's. Pretty sure the only other successful/well known superhero created before Superman was Phantom ffs.

Edit: what appealed to me with Superman Returns was nothing to do with some kind of autistic obsession with hair and gravity or Superman's powers being cheap, but rather the darker tone and cynical plot. His girl is married, her child which she pretends is her husband's is actually Superman's but neither want to reveal it because it would tear the family apart, because he left earth he wasn't around to make sure Lex was prosecuted so it's directly his fault Lex is running around doing bad shit. In many ways it just felt very different to the average Superman movie aesthetically speaking.

Watching:

51b6z5YfijL._SY445_.jpg

I fucking love this goofy supernatural vampire/zombie movie! I can watch it endlessly, so much fun. Lam Ching Ying is the man, he was always so underrated (seemingly) even among Asian cinema fiends.

Mr-Vampire-6.jpg

The special effects are gloriously cheesy.

ng.jpg

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Watched The Endless on Netflix a couple days ago. Decent cosmic horror, although I'm not sure how much I cared for the ending. Poor special effects don't usually bother me, but there were some at the end of this one that annoyed me a little, especially given the directors' commendable penchant for really ratcheting up the dread and suspense throughout the movie without showing much of anything. I wish they'd stuck with that strategy, given that their budget for effects appears to have been quite low.

There are some meta-narrative aspects to the film that may not appeal to all horror fans, but I didn't find them distracting. I also found the cinematography and camera-work at times breathtaking--some really (I thought) innovative shots and visual play.

Along with The Void, I'm hoping this signals a continuing trend in cosmic horror cinema. Two very different films though, The Endless has almost no blood or gore. Definitely not body horror in the sense that The Void was.

Watching:

sammelin_romance.jpg

"You're a cantaloupe!"

Sonny Chiba marathons over hoes.

That movie has the most insane cast. Halfway through the credits sequence, I felt like someone was pulling my leg.

Reactions: CiG
Speaking of cosmic horror, Richard Stanley's adaptation of Color Out of Space is moving forward: https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/0...discusses-the-proper-utilization-of-rage-cage

Jóhannsson died this past February, before he could collaborate with Stanley on the long-mooted The Colour Out of Space, which Waller says is getting very close to going before the cameras. “It’s moving along. We announced that we were going to be doing it, what, three years ago? Let’s just say that we’re getting a lot closer. Significantly closer. Like, it’s coming up, so I will be busy with Richard on set with that sometime in the near future.”

When he is, he vows that SpectreVision will give Stanley the support he famously did not receive on the notoriously ill-fated The Island of Dr. Moreau. “He got a bad rep because of what happened on Moreau,” Waller says, “and to me, Moreau is nothing more than an example of bad producing. It’s not his fault, what happened there, and when you watch [David Gregory’s documentary] Lost Soul, you’re like, ‘You fucking assholes, throwing him under the bus!’ It was an opportunity for some experienced producers and studio execs to work with a gifted young filmmaker, and help cradle him into the next phase of his career—not to be like, ‘Huh, why does this little gifted indie filmmaker not know how to handle all this money and all this pressure?’ It’s like, ‘Well, of course he fuckin’ doesn’t know how to handle this shit. He’s never done this before.’ You’ve got to nurture, and it hurt him for many years. Not just in the public eye, but I think it hurt him; it instilled in him a bit of doubt that he didn’t have the vision he clearly has.

“So part of our main goal with Colour will be to let him know that all producers aren’t dicks, and that some of us actually, 100 percent just want what’s best for him and the film. You don’t necessarily always align; sometimes filmmakers can get too focused on certain things to the point that they don’t know what’s best for the movie in the moment, and that’s when producers come into play. Good producers, where there’s a real strong sense of trust, where I can walk up to Adam or Panos and be like, ‘I love you, I think you’re amazing, I think you’re brilliant. This is a bad idea.’ [Laughs] You know what I mean? There’s a way of talking to artists that can be beneficial to them, where you can make the exact same point you’re trying to get across to them, and say it in a different tone. It’s like parenting, I would imagine; you can ask your child to do something politely and nicely, or you can yell at them and scold them, and then they just close off. Richard has been amazing, and I can’t wait to be on that set with him.”

Reactions: Einherjar86