The Official Movie Thread

well i saw a thread where loads of nazi types were jerking it over the movie for being about a patriotic aryan skinhead beating the shit out of minorities (he even says something racist to one of the mexicans iirc) to save his family. i don't know if a) any of that was on zahler's mind or b) he intended to glorify it, i think you can argue he wasn't (and there's also some stuff in there that's fairly 'progressive', like the way it sets up for some potential domestic violence but instead he beats up his car then sits down with his wife for a civil conversation), but it's easy to interpret it that way if you want to and i'm sure people will come crawling out of the woodwork to attack it if the new one's more openly provocative.

Reactions: CiG
That's fair enough. I thought it was somewhat odd that the cinematography puts so much emphasis on his scalp tattoo but offers zero explanation. I think the racist part you're referring to was when he said the flag is "Red, White and Blue - not Burrito" or something like that. Even without any kind of overt right-wing messaging I think it's safe to say Zahler isn't one of them haha. Just going by Bone Tomahawk and the guy who killed tons of Native Americans which isn't exactly glorified but it also isn't condemned which is enough to have him kicked out of the club.

The whole Troglodyte premise itself could easily be seen as racist, which is why he had the Native American character before they set off to track them down say "they're not one of us, they eat each other" etc. It was kinda like how whites called Native Americans savages, Zahler has the Native Americans call the Trogs savages.

I get the feeling Zahler is a cheeky bastard.

NW:

87a3316bcf341af81055fb29334c87df.jpg

Italy’s Vivo Film to Produce Abel Ferrara’s ‘Siberia.'
Ferrara announced “Siberia” in Cannes three years ago calling it an exploration of the language of dreams and a vehicle for Willem Dafoe. It’s about the introspective voyage of a man who lives in an isolated cabin on a snow-capped mountain. Since then “Siberia” long languished, but Vivo Film has teamed up with German producer Philipp Kreuzer’s Maze Pictures to co-produce the pic and The Match Factory has taken world sales. They are also in talks with Sundance-winning Mexican screenwriter-producer Julio Chavezmontes (“Time-Share”) to come on board. The film has obtained funding from Italy’s Alto Adige IDM and Germany’s Bavarian Film Fund.

the outrage brigade don't seem to have noticed zahler isn't *one of them* yet.
His producer Dallas Sonnier isn't one of them either. He even went on Fox over the summer talking about getting out of Hollywood:

Really curious about that school shooting movie mentioned near the end of the interview. As an aside, Sonnier now owns Fangoria and was responsible for resurrecting the mag. Cool guy.

Abel had one of the best sales pitches for that when it was first announced, "We got dog sleds, bro.". Really that's all you need to pitch your movie.

last night ...

... i like this movie more than most people do. A shark eating a helicopter? What's not to like?

"masterpiece" is the only word that can describe this ...
KrW8pw.gif

Today...
shark_night_3d.jpg

KlutzyAchingCaudata-small.gif
:tickled:

I like Jaws 2, hell i like all the jaws films. Big fan of at sea or underwater movies in general, especially scifi/horror stuff. Coincidence but.....

Watching now:

deep-blue-sea-movie-poster-1999-1010214329.jpg

Abel Ferrara is hit or miss for me. Anybody ever see the tv movie The Gladiator that he directed? Think I'll throw that on later tonight

49308_2_large.jpg

I haven't seen many Abel Ferrara films but I've liked every single one I have seen. I revisited The Driller Killer last night actually, fucking love that one.

Fear City, King of New York, Bad Lieutenant - all brilliant. Need to see Ms .45 though.

i still need to see the driller killer and fear city, as well as the addiction, the funeral, new rose hotel, dangerous game, china girl, the blackout, mary--all of which i've heard good things about. the six i have seen were all good to great. king of new york is probably my favourite so far.

if scorsese didn't leave behind some of the wild raw energy of his youth and stayed underground away from all the money and prestige doing his own eccentric thing, he'd basically be ferrara.

Scorsese called Bad Lieutenant the best film of the 90's iirc.

Edit: Fear City seems completely up Radical Thrasher's alley, a karate serial killer targeting call girls who work for a club owned by a disgraced boxer played by Tom Berenger. So good haha.

Abel Ferrara is hit or miss for me. Anybody ever see the tv movie The Gladiator that he directed? Think I'll throw that on later tonight

49308_2_large.jpg
The Gladiator is really good. It's funny, Ferrara always says he did it strictly for the paycheck but if you were to marathon his films up until The Gladiator, it makes total sense that that's what he would do after the likes of Ms. 45 and Fear City. Obviously being a TV movie it's way more subdued than his theatrical works, but the thematic similarities to those two aforementioned titles is striking even if he had no hand in the writing. And the premise of a guy taking to the streets in his badass souped-up truck to avenge his brother who was killed by a drunk driver, at times blasting “Screaming in the Night” by Krokus is gloriously 80's.

i still need to see the driller killer and fear city, as well as the addiction, the funeral, new rose hotel, dangerous game, china girl, the blackout, mary--all of which i've heard good things about.
All excellent films with a big emphasis on The Addiction and Dangerous Game, the later being the definition of "misunderstood masterpiece". James Russo is so fucking fierce in that one and Madonna does legitimately great work as well.

Which of his were miss for you?

Without looking at a list i might be missing something, it's also possible i haven't seen some of his films.

I liked:
Fear City
Ms .45
Body snatchers
Bad Lieutenant
King of New York
The Gladiator

Anything else was just ok or i didn't really care for.

Last edited:
The Gladiator is really good. It's funny, Ferrara always says he did it strictly for the paycheck but if you were to marathon his films up until The Gladiator, it makes total sense that that's what he would do after the likes of Ms. 45 and Fear City. Obviously being a TV movie it's way more subdued than his theatrical works, but the thematic similarities to those two aforementioned titles is striking even if he had no hand in the writing. And the premise of a guy taking to the streets in his badass souped-up truck to avenge his brother who was killed by a drunk driver, at times blasting “Screaming in the Night” by Krokus is gloriously 80's.

I might be wrong but i think i remember reading somewhere that it was originally going to be a theatrical release. Wonder if that was the case if the movie was trimmed for tv (scenes cut or written out)?

Without looking at a list i might be missing something, it's also possible i haven't seen some of his films.

I liked:
Fear City
Ms .45
Body snatchers
Bad Lieutenant
King of New York
The Gladiator

Anything else was just ok or i didn't really care for.

The ones you like are pretty much all the ones I've seen, except I don't see The Driller Killer here. Pretty surprised!

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
same but i don't know if i was equipped to appreciate most mann stuff back then.

yeah i forgot to watch that ein trailer before but it could be cool. shane carruth's involvement is usually a good sign for me.

Reactions: Einherjar86