The Official Movie Thread

I remember being traumatized by that movie when I was a child.

It was one of two movies that really got to me when I was a kid. (The other being The Candyman)

But when they go to defibrillate the guy and his chest opens and bite the guys hands off... and when the head detached from the body and becomes a fucking spider and skitters away, pure fucking unmatched nightmare fuel. Pretty sure I’ve watched it every year since then. It never gets old.

Don't think I've done this yet. The Carpenter films I've seen, ranked:

1. Assault on Precinct 13
2. Dark Star
3. Escape from New York
4. The Thing
5. Big Trouble in Little China
6. They Live
7. Vampires
8. Halloween
9. Prince of Darkness
10. The Fog
11. Escape from L.A.

The top 4 films are basically interchangeable for me, right now I'm really into AoP13 but Dark Star used to be my #1 and Escape from New York was my #1 for the majority of my life. The Thing I rate equally with the rest and could potentially be my #1 at any moment. Love those top 4.

As an aside, I think Big Trouble in Little China might just be the quintessential 80's movie; fantasy, magic, trucks, mullets, kung fu, guns, dungeons, monsters, action and comedy. It's apeshit!

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
NW:

1876543241e9a572f3e114be3e8ce277a9d536b9.png

Don't think I've done this yet. The Carpenter films I've seen, ranked:

1. Assault on Precinct 13
2. Dark Star
3. Escape from New York
4. The Thing
5. Big Trouble in Little China
6. They Live
7. Vampires
8. Halloween
9. Prince of Darkness
10. The Fog
11. Escape from L.A.
1. In the Mouth of Madness
2. Prince of Darkness
3. They Live
4. The Fog
5. Vampires
6. Halloween
7. Christine
8. The Thing
9. Escape from New York
10. Big Trouble in Little China
11. Assault on Precinct 13
12. Memoirs of an Invisible Man
13. Someone's Watching Me
14. Dark Star
15. Escape from LA
16. Ghosts of Mars
17. Starman

For such a large filmography that was surprisingly easy to rank from memory. Starman I've only seen once eons ago during the video rental days and can't remember much about it, hence why it's last. I see no reason to even watch Village of the Damned (which apparently he didn't care all that much about while shooting it) and for some reason still haven't got to The Ward yet. His two Masters of Horror episodes are also greatly enjoyable.

I wouldn't even know how to measure out something like that. The industry-wide influence of something like Escape from New York can't be underestimated. Assault on Precinct 13 repackaged Night of the Living Dead for the Hollywood new wave action scene. No doubt that Halloween was pretty revolutionary.

1) the thing
2) dark star
3) assault on precinct 13
4) cigarette burns
5) halloween
6) prince of darkness
7) they live
8) big trouble in little china
9) escape from new york
10) in the mouth of madness
11) the fog (needs rewatch)

600full-satantango-poster.jpg

I finished all 432 minutes of Satantango - I deserve a medal!! Has anyone else endured this torture?

not yet. i will one day lol. probably (definitely) not in one sitting.

it's one of only four movies i haven't seen which criticker thinks i'd give a full 100 score to (the others are mekas' AS I WAS MOVING AHEAD..., gance's NAPOLEON and eustache's THE MOTHER AND THE WHORE). i don't put much stock in that really but my criticker predicted scores can be scarily accurate, and the two i have seen (DAYS OF HEAVEN and MULHOLLAND DRIVE) did get an 100.

not yet. i will one day lol. probably (definitely) not in one sitting.

it's one of only four movies i haven't seen which criticker thinks i'd give a full 100 score to (the others are mekas' AS I WAS MOVING AHEAD..., gance's NAPOLEON and eustache's THE MOTHER AND THE WHORE). i don't put much stock in that really but my criticker predicted scores can be scarily accurate, and the two i have seen (DAYS OF HEAVEN and MULHOLLAND DRIVE) did get an 100.

It's beautifully filmed (in its grimy way) but it is a gruelling watch. I get that the deliberate slowness is supposed to reflect the villagers' own lives, but there's slow and then there's Satantango. I don't have a lot of time for directors that can't communicate a message efficiently.

Also it carries a degree of contemptuousness for the peasant life and mindset which I don't entirely agree with.