The Official Movie Thread

NW:

solo-1996-film-8e9b0bff-4bf0-46bb-b9d4-4743a53d6c8-resize-750.jpg

Seems to be universally panned, never seen it before but so far it's a cool cheesy 90's cyborg action film.

Reactions: rms

This looks fucking awesome. @RadicalThrasher seems like something you've probably seen lmao.

Reminds me, I always had this fantasy that Cronenberg could direct a reboot/reimagining of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, with the gritty New York streets/sewers setting and Cronenberg's demented interpretation of a mutant gang of turtle men it would be fucking cool.

Other than the first Spider-Man movie with Tobey Maguire, I'd probably agree with your friend.
the 3rd tobey maguire film with topher grace playing venom was sooo freaking horrible
the first 2 tobey maguire films were actually sort-of good though

It's beautifully filmed (in its grimy way) but it is a gruelling watch. I get that the deliberate slowness is supposed to reflect the villagers' own lives, but there's slow and then there's Satantango. I don't have a lot of time for directors that can't communicate a message efficiently.

Also it carries a degree of contemptuousness for the peasant life and mindset which I don't entirely agree with.

seen his other stuff? i’m probs gonna watch DAMNATION for my ‘88 list. i mostly love THE TURIN HORSE and like WERCKMEISTER HARMONIES.

Don't think I've done this yet. The Carpenter films I've seen, ranked:

1. Assault on Precinct 13
2. Dark Star
3. Escape from New York
4. The Thing
5. Big Trouble in Little China
6. They Live
7. Vampires
8. Halloween
9. Prince of Darkness
10. The Fog
11. Escape from L.A.

The top 4 films are basically interchangeable for me, right now I'm really into AoP13 but Dark Star used to be my #1 and Escape from New York was my #1 for the majority of my life. The Thing I rate equally with the rest and could potentially be my #1 at any moment. Love those top 4.

As an aside, I think Big Trouble in Little China might just be the quintessential 80's movie; fantasy, magic, trucks, mullets, kung fu, guns, dungeons, monsters, action and comedy. It's apeshit!

We're only talking films he's directed, right?

1 - Halloween
2 - Escape From New York
3 - Big Trouble in Little China
4 - Christine
5 - The Thing

I think the only other Carpenter film i've seen is Escape From L.A.

Reactions: CiG
Do yourself a favour and read the book instead.
Its' an awesome flick man give it a shot.

Yeah I definitely will. I think I never picked it up because it's one of those movies that are super easy to find cheap, so it just kept sliding down the priority list. :err: Also, don't think I'll bother reading the book, Stephen King is very hit or miss with me. I do have the book though so the chance is always there I guess.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Books trumps the movie. There is more of a feel of the car and it's power. The character of both the kid and the old man is better in the book and the back story about how Christine became Christine is so much better in the book. The kids friend is a shit character in the movie and his lack of depth doesn't help explain the real character of the main kid.