The Official Movie Thread

That ones been on my "need to watch" list for a good while now.

It's pretty cool man, though not what I was expecting. It's more like a police procedural drama/thriller but with a slight slasher element. Feels like a TV movie but not in a bad way if that makes sense.

NW:

MV5BNTRkNzdlZDYtZWU4YS00YzI4LTg0MzgtZTRkOGI5YzJhMDhlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUwMzQwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

For the 26th of October enjoying an Aussie cult classic (breaking from Red Dead Redemption 2 for long enough to squeeze in a movie lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Was able to watch two incredibly entertaining and season appropriate films today:

4192K7DC81L._AC_SY400_.jpg

411nBdQofQL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I know people just like to fall back on "it's Star Wars mate" but
I can't believe after Han Solo dies in The Force Awakens and the heroes return to the rebellion HQ, Leia walks right past Chewie (doesn't even fucking look at him or graze her hand against his out of a deep sense of grief) and hugs Rey. What the fuck is this movie? The writing is so god awful and the intent to shove Rey down our throats as the protagonist is so heavy-handed. She's known Chewie in conjunction with an intimate relationship with Han Solo for the better part of 4 decades and she just walks right past him as if he's a prop. She doesn't even fucking know who Rey is lmao.

I also love the way Finn, a man stolen from his parents as a child and indoctrinated into an intergalactic fascist military order and trained to be an emotionless killer for like 20 years who one day snaps due to sheer violence going on around him and decides to flee, slides directly into 'hur dur dumb ass best buddy' trope and plays the comic relief role. Shouldn't he be a traumatized maladjusted mentally scarred man rather than some bumbling friend-zoned mong who exists seemingly solely for Rey to bounce her endless perfection off of?

Last edited:
I know people just like to fall back on "it's Star Wars mate" but
I can't believe after Han Solo dies in The Force Awakens and the heroes return to the rebellion HQ, Leia walks right past Chewie (doesn't even fucking look at him or graze her hand against his out of a deep sense of grief) and hugs Rey. What the fuck is this movie? The writing is so god awful and the intent to shove Rey down our throats as the protagonist is so heavy-handed. She's known Chewie in conjunction with an intimate relationship with Han Solo for the better part of 4 decades and she just walks right past him as if he's a prop. She doesn't even fucking know who Rey is lmao.

I also love the way Finn, a man stolen from his parents as a child and indoctrinated into an intergalactic fascist military order and trained to be an emotionless killer for like 20 years who one day snaps due to sheer violence going on around him and decides to flee, slides directly into 'hur dur dumb ass best buddy' trope and plays the comic relief role. Shouldn't he be a traumatized maladjusted mentally scarred man rather than some bumbling friend-zoned mong who exists seemingly solely for Rey to bounce her endless perfection off of?

writing is not that film's strong suit lol. have you seen rogue one?

i found TFA very inconsistent on a scene by scene basis, really eyeroll-inducing at times, but sometimes very good at recapturing and/or relating to the mythical and emotional quality of the originals, especially visually. watching it in the cinema (which i've never done with the original films) was like falling into the past for me, like a myth had come back to life. i love
when they finally find luke at the end, for example; i've rarely known a final shot to seem so significant, it felt like everyone around me knew and understood the seismic importance of that moment because luke is just as much of a mythological figure of our culture as he is in the star wars universe. i also thought at least some of the callbacks to the originals were quite heartfelt and moving, like leia and solo's initial reunion.
i realise some of this is probably just me projecting my own nostalgia and whatnot though, and like you i wish the writing was way less clumsy and forced. i'm sorry to inform you that finn is an even shittier character in TLJ.

rogue one is definitely the most well written and overall successful of the new movies. the last jedi is a mess and a failure on a number of fundamental levels, but maybe the most intelligent/interesting of the three in other ways. it's a film by someone who clearly has no respect for (and possibly barely any basic knowledge of) the force awakens, which is bad for basic coherence but results in some cool and weird stuff also.

I find it very ironic that in the era of drawing attention to black people in cinema (or the lack thereof) they take Finn, the 3rd black guy in Star Wars (lmao) and completely squander the opportunity and make him into a useless twit. This is in part the problem with the new racial quota of film casting, they think ticking off "coloured character" from their clipboard is enough.

RE The Force Awakens;
i love when they finally find luke at the end, for example; i've rarely known a final shot to seem so significant, it felt like everyone around me knew and understood the seismic importance of that moment because luke is just as much of a mythological figure of our culture as he is in the star wars universe.

In the cinema I definitely got chills with that final scene, but after subsequent viewings I started to realize how dumb and cheesy it is to put Luke on a cliff as the cliffhanger to the movie. No denying the cinematography of the particular scene is memorable though. Anybody with even an ounce of nostalgia was blown the fuck out by his reveal.

I really need to see The Last Jedi soon because I'm really curious to see how Luke is incorporated into these new films. All the nostalgia-milking of The Force Awakens really tarnishes the film in the long run IMO but I understand why it works as a first viewing gimmick.

I really need to see The Last Jedi soon because I'm really curious to see how Luke is incorporated into these new films. All the nostalgia-milking of The Force Awakens really tarnishes the film in the long run IMO but I understand why it works as a first viewing gimmick.

prepare to be let down :lol: