The Official Movie Thread

Might need an Aussie sense of humour to appreciate this but it's very funny, and available free on Youtube.

Film buff Brad McBain (Argue), a frustrated employee of Australia’s largest cinema chain, The Kent Corporation, quits his job and decides to set up and re-open the Picture Palace, a palatial disused cinema in St Kilda, Melbourne, to show classic old films in the old-fashioned style. As a gimmick he chooses the last picture that the cinema featured, Samson and His Mighty Challenge (an Italian film, originally released in 1964 as Ercole, Sansone, Maciste e Ursus: gli invincibili). When the print arrives at the grand gala opening they discover that it is in unsubtitled Italian, and Brad suspects that his old boss, Sir Michael Kent (Carman), has in some way sabotaged the delivery so that McBain can fail at his achievement and keep Kent's business running successfully. This calls for desperate measures and McBain, his projectionist Sprocket (Spence) and his publicist Lisa (Coustas) are forced to improvise voice-overs for the entire film with hilarious results. Kent (Carman) also attends the screening, hoping to see it fail. As he realises that the crowd is enjoying the film, he storms up to the projection box. He and McBain fight just as the film reaches its climax; McBain breaks the fourth wall several times so that the fight in the projection box corresponds with the fight on the screen. Kent is knocked out, and the film is a huge success.

Reactions: CiG
NW:

dark-age-movie-poster-1987-1020255937.jpg

The scene where Numinwurri (I think that's how you spell the croc's name, unfortunately no subtitles to know for sure) eats a little kid is fucking brutal, I wasn't expecting them to show it as opposed to cutting away and implying a death. Such a good movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: RadicalThrasher
NW:

View attachment 16910

The scene where Numinwurri (I think that's how you spell the croc's name, unfortunately no subtitles to know for sure) eats a little kid is fucking brutal, I wasn't expecting them to show it as opposed to cutting away and implying a death. Such a good movie.

How old is that movie? JJ looks like a kid in the picture.

Holy crap, JJ didn't look that young in 1887! Maybe the person who drew the cover used a picture of him as a kid for inspiration

Last night! It's extraordinary, and can confidently say it's the most important film I've seen so far this year. I'm still wrapping my head around it, though, as it's a lot more abstract and Lynchian than the original. I'll need to see it again. The attempts to shoehorn in some political and historical context strike me as rather pretentious, and I'm not convinced yet that it added much to the story.

Best to go in with no expectations from the original, as it's tonally and plot-wise a very different movie, rather Faustian in many respects. The characters of Suzy and Madame Blanc (Tilda Swinton is amazing) are a lot more complex, and the dance aspect has much greater prominence (touches of Black Swan). I think the decision to make the dance school all girls was a wise one too.

Guadagnino strikes me as an extraordinary talent based on this and Call Me By Your Name, though looking at his filmography, it looks like he had many years of dishing up rubbish before suddenly finding his feet.

Reactions: rms
45208109_1003408403194937_4167285297043734528_n.jpg

I can't believe it's not Buttereit.

somehow it escaped me that the suspiria remake is by the call me by your name director. i have issues with that film but they’re all writing issues, it’s very well directed.

I haven't seen The Bone Collector in years, so I don't remember much about it. I haven't seen Suspect Zero, Copycat or The Pledge but I think I prefer 8MM just a bit more than Se7en. I've never been much of a Kevin Spacey fan and so I think he slightly taints my feelings about Se7en.

And even Ray Meagher looked pretty young compared to what I'm used to, haha:

I remember Ray in Breaker Morant so he's no as much of a surprise. Nicki Coghill looks young to, but I think JJ's been Mick Taylor for too long now and I just expect to see him in that character.