The Official Movie Thread

It's not my favorite Mann but I'm not exactly a huge fan of boxing. It certainly doesn't strike me as a weak film. I decided I wanted to watch it after reading an interview with Mann leading up to the release of the commemorative edition (can't find the specific one I read but this interview brings up similar topics) and it was pretty clearly a passion project for him. It definitely felt very Mann and not at all like any other biopic I've ever seen.

Reactions: CiG
Bedevilled is another I quite liked.

I think I saw that one too, Korean cinema in the early 2000's is probably the best regional decade since i've been alive. glad some are making their fame here now

on that IMDB, yellow sea and mother are also great. Personally never enjoyed the Vengeance trilogy, but were worthwhile at least

i disagree that the social network is meaningless btw, and i'd argue its vapid sheen serves the themes in the same way as something like the bling ring or spring breakers. some of it may be reaching a bit, but i wrote this back when it came out:

I recall enjoying Social Network when it came out, but my appreciation for it has dwindled a lot. It just felt like everything I liked about it became tired on repeat watches. It's too cool for its own good. So maybe meaningless wasn't what I meant; I just don't find its meaning all that compelling.

But then, I wasn't a big fan of Spring Breakers either. Never saw Bling Ring.

The Game is terrible.

I love this movie. It's a surreal and utterly implausible nightmare. It doesn't really make any sense, but I love its noir-expressionist atmosphere.

51nv6fH6qaL._AC_SY400_.jpg

This version really is the tits.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Last edited:
@Einherjar86 have you ever watched/read/are you into Ghost in the Shell?

Just saw this--

I watched the original 1995 anime several years ago, but really need to again. It's one of those works that stands in my knowledge library as iconic (alongside Do Androids Dream, Neuromancer, etc.), but I don't recall it nearly as well as I do others.

Reactions: CiG
Just saw this--

I watched the original 1995 anime several years ago, but really need to again. It's one of those works that stands in my knowledge library as iconic (alongside Do Androids Dream, Neuromancer, etc.), but I don't recall it nearly as well as I do others.

I was hoping to convince you to check out the sequel called Innocence.

I finally watched it for the first time the other day and I really liked it a lot. I'd always put it off and avoided it because in the trailers it shows some of the CGI the animators incorporated into it and it's a badly aged element IMO but once you get past that (if it even bothers you to begin with) the actual plot and subplot are really quite thought-provoking and engaging.

It goes way further with the transhumanism theme but beyond that it has this very playful way of referencing philosophy in general and the way the story unravels left a big impression on me. I thought that you might really appreciate the film.

Reactions: Einherjar86
No problem, watching the first film beforehand will definitely enhance the experience as Innocence is pretty much a direct sequel, the main character is Batou, the Major's partner.

If you ever do get around to it I'd like to read your thoughts about it, even if you don't have anything especially deep to say. Kicking myself for avoiding it for so long!