The Official Movie Thread

people who absolutely love the original usually hate the re-makes
myself included
i consider the original total recall and the very first robocop as both absolute classics and the remakes both totally sucked IMHO

MV5BNmNhMzI0NmQtMzU1OS00NzQzLTg0NzctZDJkODZlMjU3OTc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_.jpg

really enjoyed this one, not as much as Rampart though which i thought was fucking top notch. Both had a fucking hell of a lineup.

That's why it is bad. The random feminism coupled with post Nazi Germany was horrible in execution. And to say the dancing was comparably important to Black swan is something I see as quite a stretch too. Nothing redeeming other than the first kill scene tbh

I don't see any random feminism. It's less feminist than the original IMO. Also I think people have wrongfully assumed Guadagnino was trying to make some sort of political statement with all the Baader Meinhoff stuff, when I'm not sure that's the case, I think he was simply trying to contrast the chaos of the outside world to demonstrate the 'bubble' in which Suzie immersed herself.

I'd give you my thoughts as to what else was 'redeeming' but it would involve spoilers.

I don't see any random feminism.
you don't think the "we celebrate female autonomy" or whatever she said was rather random? there was another line too, just out there. and i'd argue upon hearing lines like that, it manipulates the viewer to view the film in said way
It's less feminist than the original IMO.
this is supposedly being argued as art-housey and motherhoodish as Hereditary, Mother and another film I already forgot. I'd have to read something on what makes the original feminist, but this one clearly is more interested. Removed all men from the cast, played with their tiny dicks for female enjoyment etc
I think he was simply trying to contrast the chaos of the outside world to demonstrate the 'bubble' in which Suzie immersed herself.
just seemed like a bad way to cast doubt over where Patrizia went...but they made that obvious from the start. Which is what the whole problem was, this direction took the doubt in the original and decided to tell you right away--and show you! Suzie and Blanc's first scene. Contrast this version to the previous and you see two different directions, and why modern horror is usually garbage -- they underestimate our minds.

there's spoiler tags
/

I saw Beyond Skyline tonight. A throwaway sci-fi action flick with little coherency to the script.

MV5BNDBlMzY1MmMtMWUwMS00ODk5LWJiZDUtN2ZmZjJjYTRhMmNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU3NTI0Mg@@._V1_SY1000_SX675_AL_.jpg

RE Beyond Skyline; @Einherjar86 you were definitely onto something when you pointed out all the Lovecraftian stuff lately.

I actually wasn't even thinking about big budget stuff like that. Haven't seen it myself--what is it that fits the Lovecraftian bill, do you think?

I watched Apostle on Netflix recently, and that also fits the bill--specifically the premise of an isolated cult worshiping an unknown deity.

So, The Void, The Endless, The Ritual, Get Out, Apostle, Mandy, Lovecraft Country, Beyond Skyline et al... yeah, seems that something's on the move...

Not to mention this game that just came out: Call of Cthulhu: The Official Video Game (although it's based on a board game, I realize)

Reactions: CiG