The Official Movie Thread

nearly everyone on this board is a prick including me so don't feel too special

the similarities between the two are pretty obvious yo, don't be obtuse. probably half the reviews of the wailing i've read mentioned MoM. it's a bit of a superficial comparison no doubt but it's not an inexplicable one.

BTW I watched In the Mood for Love yesterday and really enjoyed it. Very delicate and subtle, it was both a shock and a delight to see Maggie Cheung proving that she can be a screen beauty to rival anybody else, she's practically a goddess in the film!

I'm so used to her being either goofy like in Police Story or boorish like in New Dragon Gate Inn.

Police_Story_3_Supercop_1-1477150932-726x388.png

22195794_140480199901168_2089626680800016955_n.jpg

MV5BNzg5OTRjOTktYjUyOS00MzM0LTg1ZGMtYThlYzY1NmZmZTg0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDAxOTExNTM@._V1_.jpg

Amazing, I was really impressed. I need to see more of her lead role films. Not to say Tony Leung's performance was bad or anything, a great film overall.

the similarities between the two are pretty obvious yo, don't be obtuse. probably half the reviews of the wailing i've read mentioned MoM. it's a bit of a superficial comparison no doubt but it's not an inexplicable one.

obvious? really struggling to see how one reached for similarities between a religious/spiritual film and a film about police in SK

blow out is really good. might even be better than the conversation. in the mood for love is an old favourite of mine, i haven’t seen it in a long time.

Reactions: CiG
i agree the 'main theme' isn't the same but there are plenty of other ways movies can be similar. namely, both films have the same incompetent bungling police force hunting an enigma in a rural location, with a similar use of comedy, the same cinematographer and the same editor.

anyway, anyone watched the new coens yet?

Reactions: CiG
i agree the 'main theme' isn't the same but there are plenty of other ways movies can be similar. namely, both films have the same incompetent bungling police force hunting an enigma in a rural location, with a similar use of comedy, the same cinematographer and the same editor.

So I watched Memories of Murder last night and I have to agree with NCFOW on this one. It'd go further and also point out the similarities in terms of the police methods, their disregard for the possibility of innocence, and the general theme of corruption of the spirit that goes along all that.

As much as I enjoyed Memories, there were a couple of major issues that detracted from it for me.
First, I didn't find the character arcs of the cops particularly believable. The dumb cops are just too cartoonishly dumb during the first half of the movie. The choice of target - the retarded guy - is just too obvious of a target. The good cop has no backstory or exposition to explain his regression. Secondly, I hate being that guy pointing out plot holes, but.... it was pretty egregious. They identified a pattern - rain, red clothes - from only two murders! And how did the female cop just happen to identify the same song was played on the radio during each of the murders? And why did it take them so long to realise the retarded guy was a witness to the murder when it was just so obvious?

pfft southerners are normally considered the sissies, that's where most of the posh people are. granted you do get a lot of movies about 'ard cockney gangstas.

but yes i'm in the north west basically :p manchester's the nearest major city. the north doesn't get represented in cinema all that much, or at least not in stuff that makes it internationally.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity