The Official Movie Thread

Performance
Walkabout
Don't Look Now
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Bad Timing
Eureka

One of the most consistent hot streaks in the history of the medium. You're lucky if you get to make just one film that's 1/4 as good as any of those. And even after that with unjustifiably neglected works like Track 29, Cold Heaven, Two Deaths and Puffball.

Reactions: CiG
even the witches is mostly fun apart from the shitty ending.

i need to see bad timing and the man who fell to earth. don't look now is my fav currently. rip

91na5gI3e4L._SY445_.jpg

I actually enjoyed this more than I expected. Many similarities to The Thing, with a group in a confined space being taken over/controlled one by one. Also worth seeing Alice Cooper stab someone with a
bicycle.

I used to like it more than I do now, for some reason the last time I watched it (after already having a very high opinion of it) I came away from it feeling kinda flat, also my DVD copy's print quality is pretty bad. Another one of these movies I need to buy a good quality version of and really sit down and rewatch.

what the fuck? that isn't memories of murder, what's wrong with you

Bought it off Ebay last night btw. Talk about peer pressure.

Last edited:
I've watched some really good movies yesterday and one Nicholas Cage movie.

The first one is Beast of the Southern Wild, which was an endearing movie told through the eyes of a little girl. It was about a remote group in the swamps of Louisiana basically trying to survive. I like that it upheld their dignity, but also showed how their way of life would be difficult to adapt to "modern" times. Really cute movie. Any movie with a little kid and a single parent, is bound to pluck at your heart strings.

Trailer:

I've been making a point to watch other types of movies that are not Hollywood. Did some research and came across Mother of George. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous and this director just knows how to light darker skin tones. I also thought the story was really interesting too. Like it's one of those stories, if you had no context you would think has a clear right/wrong path, but since this really gives you a glimpse of the culture it actually blurs it. I suppose, I shouldn't be too vague. It's essentially about an African couple from Nigeria who's living in Brooklyn (the part i grew up in actually), trying to make a life for themselves. They get married and the wife's goal is to get pregnant... but she is unable to.... So yeah. The trailer really captures how beautiful this movie is. And the situation/problem is super unique

Trailer:

And of course, I had to watch this Nicholas Cage movie after having my boyfriend sit through some weird shit. Mom and Dad is on Hulu, for those of you who have Hulu and it's a fun horror movie about parents getting in this sudden trance/fit to murder their kids. I mean it's Nicholas Cage, he freaks out in a few scenes. My boyfriend swears he's a good actor, and I just don't see it. To me, he's awkward in a way that doesn't really work for me. Yeah, he's good at freaking out... but like literally anyone can be good at something. An actor implies being good with multiple roles, or am I crazy? Anyways, the movie was entertaining to watch.

Trailer:

I watched a total blindbuy thrift store grab the other day called Some Dogs Bite (here it's called Baby Brother though) that was unexpectedly gritty and very charming. Basic plot is
a mentally handicapped teen's mother dies and his baby brother is taken into foster care so he kidnaps his brother and plans to travel to Scotland to live with his father who left him when he was a boy, his oldest brother to a different father tags along with him and they travel the English countryside sleeping in the woods and in abandoned houses with two ladies they met on a train.

e019c05ed3537060b062b7e32d13beb2.jpg

Very raw, very independent, feels dirty and unwashed a lot of the time, very English and quite sparse. I meant to bring it up the other day when northern vs southern English representation in cinema was briefly brought up.

CYGmHupUwAAxKaP.jpg

Thomas Brodie-Sangster (from Game of Thrones) is the main character, it's apparently a TV movie and it's by the guy who directed Miranda (Christina Ricci 2002). Definitely recommended to anybody who likes independent cinema where the filming locations and environment are just as much characters in the story as the people, really lets everything breath too with long moments of no dialogue etc.

MV5BNjY3MTAyNjc4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg5NzYwNA@@._V1_.jpg

i7347.jpg

The stories about the making of this film are almost better than the actual movie itself. Perpetually wasted Dennis Hopper getting up to shenanigans with David Gulpilil in the outback is the best thing ever. The scene where a snake is caught, killed and cooked by Gulpilil are totally legit too, he was a great hunter and at one point between scenes apparently Gulpilil vanished for an hour and when he returned he was asked what he was doing and he replied "I was asking the trees if Dennis is crazy."

top 5 for me so far is:

1. Ran
2. Seven Samurai
3. High and Low
4. The Bad Sleep Well
5. Yojimbo

Still haven't seen some essentials, like Rashomon. But he's quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. I don't know if I could say this of any other director but I wish all his movies were at least three hours long. Not only because every scene is so fucking gorgeous but because he writes or co-writes such great, character-driven stories that always benefit from lengthy runtimes. I also love that his movies don't seem to have any loftier ambitions than to entertain, or if they do they don't wear it on their sleeve. High and Low is literally an adaptation of a fucking airport paperback and it still a masterpiece because everything Kurosawa touches turns to gold.