The Official Movie Thread

^ Was apparently the second highest viewed trailer on the weekend of its release.
Seems like even trailers now have record audience figures to beat.

Binge watched all the Leprechaun films. One of my favorite chracter/franchises in horror . I find them all enjoyable maybe with the exception of origins. That one is kind of a chore to get through.

Last edited:
I low-balled the guy selling Memories of Murder on Ebay by $10 his asking price, went to bed not expecting him to bite and more interested to see where he'd take his counter-offer or if he'd just decline, wake up to see he's accepted my offer!

He even put "OOP" in the title so it's not like he was some oblivious dumbass... :lol:

v1.bTsxMjgzODgxMztqOzE3ODc4OzEyMDA7MTUwMDsyMDgx

Excited to see this. Along with the new Coens and new Cuaron, Netflix's foray into cinema is less populist than I thought it would be.

Based on the short film An Ranger which is worth checking out, this looks fucking impressive though. Must see it asap.

I've been making a point to watch other types of movies that are not Hollywood. Did some research and came across Mother of George. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous and this director just knows how to light darker skin tones. I also thought the story was really interesting too. Like it's one of those stories, if you had no context you would think has a clear right/wrong path, but since this really gives you a glimpse of the culture it actually blurs it. I suppose, I shouldn't be too vague. It's essentially about an African couple from Nigeria who's living in Brooklyn (the part i grew up in actually), trying to make a life for themselves. They get married and the wife's goal is to get pregnant... but she is unable to.... So yeah. The trailer really captures how beautiful this movie is. And the situation/problem is super unique

Trailer:

Need to see this one, I love Isaach de Bankolé so his presence alone means it's a must see for me personally. The main female actor is the lady from The Walking Dead right? Looks like her.

Last edited:
Reactions: RadicalThrasher
the-wailing-poster.jpg

Watched this today. Been wanting to for a while, due to the comparisons to Memories of Murder (one of my favorite movies). I was honestly dumbfounded as it ended but the more I think about it, the more I love it.

On a superficial level, I love this apparent trend in South Korean cinema of having thrillers and horror movies take place in vibrant, daytime settings (other examples of such I've seen are Memories of Murder, Train to Busan and The Host, all great films). But to really explain why I love it, I have to go into spoilers.

It's not about people who encounter a problem and then overcome it, but rather about people who encounter a problem, fail to understand or address it, flail around for 2½ hours and then die. It's about the repeat failure of various institutions (the police force, several different religions, family...) that are supposed to protect us from the chaos to do anything at all. This isn't exactly unique and you could describe a number of noir movies this way, but I found this one of the most effective takes on that theme. For one thing, it sneaks up on you, due to the relative lightheartedness of the first hour.

Where it goes one step further is that even the story itself collapses into chaos. I've only seen it once (already looking forward to my rewatch) and I can't say I've fully figured it out, but I suspect it's the kind of thing that can't be figured out at all, as the third act brings several mutually contradictory revelations that peg several people as the demon, or maybe no one at all. The horror comes from the unresolved and maybe unresolvable nature of the plot. It's an anti-story in this sense. Maybe all the hints that someone or other is the culprit are just the projections of desperate people trying to find something to blame for inexplicable tragedies (only to the priest does the Japanese man reveal himself as Satan.)

It reminds me of 2018's Hereditary, a movie where demonic possessions operate on an apparent logic that is hidden from the viewer, and where the characters are likened through composition to props in a dollhouse. I loved Hereditary. But in that movie, the strings were being pulled by an explicit, demonic entity. In The Wailing, there seems to be no one pulling the strings at all. That's infinitely more terrifying, and more real.

@Einherjar86 have you seen this? For the reasons mentioned in the above spoiler tag which you shouldn't read if you haven't seen the movie, I think you might like it.

nice, you made me want to watch it again. i recall i had some issues with it tonally first time around (as in, some of the tonal decisions made no sense to me), but like you i admired it more and more as i thought about it. probably the most creative horror movie of the decade, or certainly one of them.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Just a random general question: When I watched "The Crimes of Grindelwald" (which I did enjoy) in the cinema a few days ago, I found it very annoying that the movie was interrupted for 10 minutes somewhere in the middle just to allow people to buy more food. Since I can't remember that this has ever happened before when watching a movie in the cinema, I'm wondering if this is perhaps already common practice in cinemas in other countries?

When I pay €17.20 (it was the 3D-version and it was at the weekend, when prices are generally higher than from Monday until Thursday) for a movie, I want to watch it from beginning to end without any interruptions! Yes, it could have been worse, if they had shown commercials during this pause, but even if it was just a countdown from 10 minutes to zero, it ruined the flow/tension (or whatever I should call it) of the movie.

Just a random general question: When I watched "The Crimes of Grindelwald" (which I did enjoy) in the cinema a few days ago, I found it very annoying that the movie was interrupted for 10 minutes somewhere in the middle just to allow people to buy more food. Since I can't remember that this has ever happened before when watching a movie in the cinema, I'm wondering if this is perhaps already common practice in cinemas in other countries?

When I pay €17.20 (it was the 3D-version and it was at the weekend, when prices are generally higher than from Monday until Thursday) for a movie, I want to watch it from beginning to end without any interruptions! Yes, it could have been worse, if they had shown commercials during this pause, but even if it was just a countdown from 10 minutes to zero, it ruined the flow/tension (or whatever I should call it) of the movie.

I actually quite like the old intermission, although it is rarely used here. At the risk of sounding like an old man, my bladder usually can't last the 2.5hrs particularly if I have a few wines.