The Official Movie Thread

Saw this yesterday. It was not your typical documentary but anyone interested in WWI should see this when they get a chance. It was pretty heavy at a few points.

220px-They_Shall_Not_Grow_Old.jpg

Saw this yesterday. It was not your typical documentary but anyone interested in WWI should see this when they get a chance. It was pretty heavy at a few points.

220px-They_Shall_Not_Grow_Old.jpg

It's not bad. The recoloured historical footage captures the attention, but it's really the narration by the old vets that drives the film. I thought Jackson did well to distil life in the frontline down to a digestible hour-and-a-half.

i think in the mainstream that's true. that's probably why his defenders are so fervent, overcompensation or something. but yeah i've read a lot of articles about how shyamalan is this underrated genius etc

here's one from like a week ago lol

first reformed got an oscar nomination for best screenplay, which is the first nomination schrader has EVER received. that’s fucking nuts.

He'd have to be a good chance to win too, considering the competition.

I still need to see Roma and The Favourite. Good to see some love for Shoplifters, At Eternity's Gate, Cold War, Buster Scruggs, amidst the usual fluff.

i think the favourite is the favourite to win screenplay. i'm gonna start watching the best picture noms tomorrow, find out where i stand on them (although i can already guess for most of them...)

https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcana/photos/a.1421893521362362/2190942544457452/?type=3&theater

“More than spectacle. An experience for all of your life.” Exciting news for fans of cult cinema -- Arrow Video are slated to issue a remastered collection of several essential works from cinematic mystic Alejandro Jodorowsky! According to his son Brontis Jodorowsky, the box set will contain new 4K restorations of the surreal shocker FANDO & LIS (1968), his midnight movie trailblazer EL TOPO (1970) and the allegorical masterpiece THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (1973). The actor also states he contributed a long interview to join an expected bounty of extras, and, “lots of memories came back!” Watch this space for more details as they become available!

i think in the mainstream that's true. that's probably why his defenders are so fervent, overcompensation or something. but yeah i've read a lot of articles about how shyamalan is this underrated genius etc

here's one from like a week ago lol

I watched Split the day prior and I thought it flailed around with lots of weighty ideas but mostly just amounted to a fairly interesting and distinctive dud, but a dud all the same. With Glass I felt more or less the same until a transcendental third act that brought nearly everything into perfect alignment. It affected me more than THAT moment in First Reformed that Schrader spent the whole movie building up to. It's an early MOTY candidate for me and I'm very terrified that this view now aligns me with the lunatics who lauded his previous garbage.

Reactions: CiG