The Official Movie Thread

Watching

terminal-canadian-dvd-cover.jpg

i have been a superhero dork since i learned how to read younger-than-normal reading the words in spiderman comics
Unbreakable was good superhero movie
and seemed awesome until you see the "deleted scenes" on the DVD
you can clearly see exactly where each "deleted" scene would have been if it had remained in the movie
but then, the deleted scenes should have stayed in the movie
because they would have explained what the fuck was going on for the people that didn't know anything about superheros
and, weirdly, people who knew nothing about superheros crammed into this movie the opening weekend
because it was never advertised as a "superhero" movie,
it was advertised as a movie "coming from the director of the 6th sense"

Unbreakable was better than Split
and Split was seemingly a damn stand-alone movie till what, the last 5 min?
weird way to do that
Unbreakable being same movie universe as Split was weirdly done where 2 totally different groups of people will show up to the theater for Glass

the people wanting to see an Unbreakable sequel, and people wanting to see a Split sequel
not even sure how much overlap those 2 groups will really have
i totally understand that making Split and Unbreakable same-movie-universe was an attempt to get a huge audience for the M-K-S movie that would follow Split, but it was just done weirdly

i have been a superhero dork since i learned how to read younger-than-normal reading the words in spiderman comics
Unbreakable was good superhero movie

It still is.

the deleted scenes should have stayed in the movie
because they would have explained what the fuck was going on for the people that didn't know anything about superheros
and, weirdly, people who knew nothing about superheros crammed into this movie the opening weekend
because it was never advertised as a "superhero" movie,
it was advertised as a movie "coming from the director of the 6th sense"

The movie works as it is. The whole superhero thing is explained enough on the movie. If people didn't get it, that's their problem.

Unbreakable was better than Split
and Split was seemingly a damn stand-alone movie till what, the last 5 min?
weird way to do that

It was an standalone movie until the end, but how they were connected was well done IMO. Now all pieces are in place for the finale or even an eventual sequel.

Maybe in Glass they will take back the Unbreakable argument of balance of good and evil.

Unbreakable being same movie universe as Split was weirdly done where 2 totally different groups of people will show up to the theater for Glass
the people wanting to see an Unbreakable sequel, and people wanting to see a Split sequel
not even sure how much overlap those 2 groups will really have
i totally understand that making Split and Unbreakable same-movie-universe was an attempt to get a huge audience for the M-K-S movie that would follow Split, but it was just done weirdly

Not really, because people who liked Unbreakable enough to dig into a sequel saw Split and is expecting the confrontation of all characters in Glass. Let's hope Shyamalan won't screw up Glass.

Everybody_Knows_%28film%29.jpg

I fucking love Asghar Farhadi (might be my favourite fully active writer/director at the moment) and this is another great movie, albeit not on the level of A Separation or Le Passé. It follows a family torn apart by a kidnapping, with Penelope Cruz outstanding as the grieving mother. In usual Farhadi style the kidnapping is a vehicle to shatter the facades of the family members and slowly draw out their secrets. It might be time, however, for him to change up his formula as it's starting to become a bit familiar.

Everybody_Knows_%28film%29.jpg

I fucking love Asghar Farhadi (might be my favourite fully active writer/director at the moment) and this is another great movie, albeit not on the level of A Separation or Le Passé. It follows a family torn apart by a kidnapping, with Penelope Cruz outstanding as the grieving mother. In usual Farhadi style the kidnapping is a vehicle to shatter the facades of the family members and slowly draw out their secrets. It might be time, however, for him to change up his formula as it's starting to become a bit familiar.
Follow the work of Luis Tosar and José Coronado. Both actors have incredible movies under their belts.

Some of the movies I've seen recently (not for first time, tho, all Spanish ones)

-El Cuerpo
-Cien Años de Perdón
-Contratiempo
-Mientras Duermes
-Celda 211

All of those are top notch stuff.

Follow the work of Luis Tosar and José Coronado. Both actors have incredible movies under their belts.

Some of the movies I've seen recently (not for first time, tho, all Spanish ones)

-El Cuerpo
-Cien Años de Perdón
-Contratiempo
-Mientras Duermes
-Celda 211

All of those are top notch stuff.

Thanks, just not entirely clear how this relates to my post? Are you saying these are similar movies?

Btw I've seen El Cuerpo, I thought it was a cool premise (along the lines of the classic Les Diaboliques) but quite poorly directed.

Thanks, just not entirely clear how this relates to my post? Are you saying these are similar movies?

Btw I've seen El Cuerpo, I thought it was a cool premise (along the lines of the classic Les Diaboliques) but quite poorly directed.
That "school" of movies has some similarities. They mix drama, crime with thriller with success (I'm not a fan of Bardem as actor tho, I'm more refering to the kind of movies those 2 guys do)

That "school" of movies has some similarities. They mix drama, crime with thriller with success (I'm not a fan of Bardem as actor tho, I'm more refering to the kind of movies those 2 guys do)

You mean Ricardo Darin? I'm not sure Everybody Knows was typical even for him. It's a Spanish thriller in name only, the director is Iranian and his style is more gritty family drama bordering on soap opera.