The Official Movie Thread

Everybody_Knows_%28film%29.jpg

I fucking love Asghar Farhadi (might be my favourite fully active writer/director at the moment) and this is another great movie, albeit not on the level of A Separation or Le Passé. It follows a family torn apart by a kidnapping, with Penelope Cruz outstanding as the grieving mother. In usual Farhadi style the kidnapping is a vehicle to shatter the facades of the family members and slowly draw out their secrets. It might be time, however, for him to change up his formula as it's starting to become a bit familiar.

looking forward to this one, i'm a big farhadi slut myself and i think his previous one the salesman was as good as anything he's ever done. it'll be really weird and interesting to see how he translates to a european context, given that he's probably the most quintessentially iranian filmmaker in my mind.

looking forward to this one, i'm a big farhadi slut myself and i think his previous one the salesman was as good as anything he's ever done. it'll be really weird and interesting to see how he translates to a european context, given that he's probably the most quintessentially iranian filmmaker in my mind.

Le Passé was set in France, but I know what you mean. His movies rely on secrets, suppressed bitterness and imagined or real slights, and that obviously works well in a culture that's quite uptight like Iran but having spent some time living in southern Europe, it's not entirely dissimilar, they place such a price on maintaining niceties and the facade of family unity, so it still allows Farhadi to use his pressure cooker technique with the same dense (often squabbly) dialogue, claustrophobic atmosphere, complex character motivations etc.

oh yeah, i did actually see that one when it came out and i totally forgot it was in europe because it was so seamlessly a farhadi movie. cool. this will be a bit different because of the more well known actors though i suppose.

and yeah, i definitely think the primary theme of farhadi’s work is the tension between public and private spaces (or performance and reality, to put it another way) in a culture that oppressively normalises the former, so that makes sense.

do you like panahi? he’s one of my favourites too.

I've only ever seen Tehran Taxi I think. Which I didn't really like and not sure is typical of his style. Which ones do you recommend?

Outside of Farhadi and Kiarostami, the best Iranian film I've seen is Life and a Day by Saeed Roustayi, a really intense Farhadi-esque drama, but it's so fucking obscure I had to add it to the rym database.

i liked taxi a lot but it's a minor work i guess (and probably a kiarostami homage). this is not a film is the best one i've seen, but i'm missing some of his acclaimed early work.

my favourite iranian film is probably makhmalbaf's a moment of innocence, to which kiarostami's close-up is a spiritual sequel. i'll try to check out the one you mention. i'd also recommend radu jude's everybody in our family even though it isn't iranian, it's basically like farhadi ramped up to 11. probably not as beautifully structured as farhadi tends to be, but it's intense and nuts enough to make up for that.

Yeah it was popcorn levels of entertainment and nothing more. Really should have been more violent though, a fucking antihero standalone Venom movie with less violence than a Pixar film. Oof.
The quantity of violence seemed adequate, but the non-violent parts just weren't done quite as well as they could have been
Woody harelson playing Cletus Cassidy was just horrible casting