The Official Movie Thread

Watched The Favourite the other day. Really enjoyed it, more so than Lanthimos' previous films. The humour is more overt and traditional (which may not appeal as much to those who like the weird, Sahara-dry humour of his previous films) but to me it worked better, along the lines of an episode of The Thick of It. Even touches of Blackadder in the silly and capricious Queen Anne.

But the quantity of violence isn't my beef, it's the quality of it. Totally neutered.
This was to entertain the specific people who have no clue who the hell the effing character is
It's the same shit as when they casted Ryan Reynolds and Blake lively to get the people who didn't know Hal Jordan to see the green lantern movie
When Ironman 2 made its money back and a profit BEFORE the United States even saw the movie
And why Johnny Storm was black
And why Tony Stark had a creepy-huge amount of screen-time in Spiderman homecoming
The only super-hero movie actually aimed at the actual comic-book-readers was Deadpool
which broke USA box office records but bombed outside of USA because it was unmistakably a comedy that was crammed full of jokes that non-americans didn't get
So
Because Deadpool sucked so bad in China
Venom having the neutered violence was probably done to entertain those specific people who would have freaked the fuck out if the violence had been more graphic
They don't care about comic-book-readers
It's just bottom line money making

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/14/17859100/venom-rating-pg-13

Also still stand by my statement that Woody harelson playing Cletus Cassidy was horrible casting

It's a premature statement but whatever. It's a comic book movie.

This was to entertain the specific people who have no clue who the hell the effing character is
It's the same shit as when they casted Ryan Reynolds and Blake lively to get the people who didn't know Hal Jordan to see the green lantern movie
When Ironman 2 made its money back and a profit BEFORE the United States even saw the movie
And why Johnny Storm was black
And why Tony Stark had a creepy-huge amount of screen-time in Spiderman homecoming
The only super-hero movie actually aimed at the actual comic-book-readers was Deadpool
which broke USA box office records but bombed outside of USA because it was unmistakably a comedy that was crammed full of jokes that non-americans didn't get
So
Because Deadpool sucked so bad in China
Venom having the neutered violence was probably done to entertain those specific people who would have freaked the fuck out if the violence had been more graphic
They don't care about comic-book-readers
It's just bottom line money making

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/14/17859100/venom-rating-pg-13

Deadpool and Logan upped the rating, Venom should have done the same. Without the darkness and violence it was basically a redundant film.

Watching

29078_1_large.jpg

:err:

I'm thinking maybe the Carnage movie might be able to get it done better

Carnage movie might be able to get an R rating

Watched The Favourite the other day. Really enjoyed it, more so than Lanthimos' previous films. The humour is more overt and traditional (which may not appeal as much to those who like the weird, Sahara-dry humour of his previous films) but to me it worked better, along the lines of an episode of The Thick of It. Even touches of Blackadder in the silly and capricious Queen Anne.

i figured it must've been a little more 'normal' to have got such award recognition, but i'm actually super intrigued to see what a mainstream-accepted lanthimos movie looks like. those comparisons you've made have only further stoked my excitement. i love olivia colman too so i'm pleased she's had a breakthrough here.

i figured it must've been a little more 'normal' to have got such award recognition, but i'm actually super intrigued to see what a mainstream-accepted lanthimos movie looks like. those comparisons you've made have only further stoked my excitement. i love olivia colman too so i'm pleased she's had a breakthrough here.

The other appropriate comparison is the 50s classic satire All About Eve if you've seen that.

I struggle to see Colman without imagining her Broadchurch character! I actually thought Rachel Weisz was the real standout here.

So I posted here a while ago about pre-subscribing to the new Criterion Collection streaming platform. The site still isn't up and running yet, but they're sending me an email each week with a link to a 'Movie of the Week' stream (this week is Chungking Express by Wong Kar-Wai). I haven't paid any $$ yet or provide any credit card details either.

Reactions: rms
So I posted here a while ago about pre-subscribing to the new Criterion Collection streaming platform. The site still isn't up and running yet, but they're sending me an email each week with a link to a 'Movie of the Week' stream (this week is Chungking Express by Wong Kar-Wai). I haven't paid any $$ yet or provide any credit card details either.

same

Several years ago, my friends and me did a videogame movie marathon, just to get a laugh or an excuse to drink, since we knew they all sucked balls. We saw, among others, the following:

Dragon Ball Evolution
Alone in the Dark
Mortal Kombat II
King of Fighters
Tekken

Now we gathered to do something similar, but with SHARKS. Having seen only seen the first one, the playlist was as follows:

Sharknado
Sand Sharks
Raiders of the Lost Shark
Jurassic Shark
Sharkansas' Women Prison Massacre.

In short, not a good idea.

So the #metoo movement somehow made Amazon decide to refuse to do something that would have made Amazon money

But now
instead of MAKING money, Amazon will actually LOOSE money because Amazon did something that they could (and did) get sued over

Way to go shooting yourself in the foot, Amazon