The Official Movie Thread

The Hateful Eight is definitely the better of his newer ones (besides OUATIH obviously). I will say though, of all the big name directors still working, Tarantino's worst are still better than their worst in most cases.

the hateful eight is really great for like 90 mins, it just goes to complete shit somewhere between that random bit of mid-film narration and jackson’s monologue about having his big black dick sucked. although i do like the ending. django definitely gets worse in the second half too, wondering if the trend continues with the new one.

Reactions: rms and CiG
Tonight

25606_1_large.jpg

Doom.jpg

Watching this was a weird kind of breakthrough moment for me where instead of my usual snobbish reaction I realized I mostly didn't care how mediocre the movie was because I love the aesthetic so much. It's a completely uninspired derivative of Aliens (even Karl Urban seems cast mainly for his resemblance to Michael Biehn), but I guess I get more out of watching a handful of derivatives than watching the original a handful of times.

The big problem with movies like this is it only takes a few idiotic scenes to ruin the illusion for me. I was able to stay in the zone until the cheesy first-person shooter scene - that and the finale fight made for an absolute turd of an ending.

Last edited:
Fun movie, but are you being serious that you'd rather watch derivatives of Aliens than Aliens? Because that's pretty whew lad to me.
No, what I meant was I’ve already seen Aliens multiple times, and I can’t watch one of my favorite movies too often or it gets spoiled. Watching the derivatives just allows me to enjoy the Aliens aesthetic without overplaying Aliens.

Reactions: CiG
Has anyone been reading about the premiere of The Painted Bird at the Venice film festival? Cartoonish scenes apparently as people quite literally fought each other running to the exits, like a scene out of Inglorious Basterds.

Anyway it's supposed to a a hyper brutal war movie, like Come and See on steroids. (Incidentally Come and See is one of my favourite movies ever so I'm excited). Also (somewhat incongruently) the movie is based on a book by the same author who originally wrote Being There.

MV5BMTcyNzk5NDg1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTM5MDQxNDM@._V1_.jpg

Never planned to watch this (well, at least not anytime soon) but I realised the other day it was directed by the guy behind Harsh Times and End of Watch, two movies I like a lot. Though seeing that he also directed Suicide Squad is very lolworthy. I guess at least it can't be as bad as that.