The Official Movie Thread

I watched Kill List yesterday which was awesome, this new wave of folk horror is definitely one of the cooler things to happen these days, especially for horror. I've never been the type to get into newer horror movies like other horrorheads I know who get super excited for every new slasher, 9 billionth sequel of a classic franchise or random remake that comes out, but these folk horror films kinda bring me back to when I was discovering horror and how exciting and fresh it felt.

Really need to see The VVitch already, and then Midsommar because that's got some real hype behind it. If anybody has any recommendations of strong titles in the genre I'd check them out if possible. The Lighthouse looks great too.

I watched The Ritual the day before yesterday, and that was probably the weakest folk horror I've seen so far, a fun 7/10 though, not shitty at all.

a field in england m8, same director as kill list. it's pretty polarising but it's my favourite of his. you should also watch sightseers if you haven't although that's a serial killer movie by the same guy, not a horror. and aaaaaaaah! is by one of his regular collaborators.

the wailing obvs.

the love witch is more psych than folk and hardly a traditional horror movie anyway but still great

the alchemist cookbook rules, probably as much punk and hip hop in there as folk but whatever

the siren was the best movie i saw at glasgow horrorfest, very much a folk horror albeit also a romance

rob zombie's the lords of salem is good stuff imo

Reactions: CiG
I'd written Rob Zombie's post-Halloween remake stuff off but the fact that you of all people are recommending one of his movies intrigues me lmao. The rest you mentioned are ones I've been trying to see, especially Aaaaaaaah! and A Field in England. Never heard of The Love Witch though. Cheers.

Have you (or anybody else) seen Apostle or Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil? They're both on Netflix but I haven't bothered yet.

Speaking of Rob Zombie, just noticed that the 3 from Hell trailer came out last month. I'm pretty hyped.

Np

17387_2_large.jpg

I'd written Rob Zombie's post-Halloween remake stuff off but the fact that you of all people are recommending one of his movies intrigues me lmao. The rest you mentioned are ones I've been trying to see, especially Aaaaaaaah! and A Field in England. Never heard of The Love Witch though. Cheers.

Have you (or anybody else) seen Apostle or Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil? They're both on Netflix but I haven't bothered yet.

Speaking of Rob Zombie, just noticed that the 3 from Hell trailer came out last month. I'm pretty hyped.

I just wish Zombie wouldn’t have ever cast his wife in these movies. Christ she’s fucking obnoxious and pretty goddamn horrible.

I’m wondering if they’re going to add a supernatural element to them surviving the hail of gunfire, or I’m just supposed to believe they’re back to fighting and fucking instantly after having organs perforated and bones shattered. I know horror movies write bad guys back to life all the time but going out in a “blaze of glory” then years later when your creative wells are running dry feels a little cheap. I assume Captain Spaulding dies because of his lack of presence in the promo that shows way too
Much. (That and it looks like he may be dying. Goddamnit. He’s my favorite part of these films, the ugly bastard)

It’s hard to tell with zombie. If it were set in hell or Satan has a hand in it in some way, supernatural elements are a hard left turn from the other two movies unless I’m misremembering.

You may not be looking for my input as I think I've already voiced it, but I'll say again that I thought Apostle was really good.

I also second A Field in England. Absurd movie (in the best way).

I watched Kill List yesterday which was awesome, this new wave of folk horror is definitely one of the cooler things to happen these days, especially for horror. I've never been the type to get into newer horror movies like other horrorheads I know who get super excited for every new slasher, 9 billionth sequel of a classic franchise or random remake that comes out, but these folk horror films kinda bring me back to when I was discovering horror and how exciting and fresh it felt.

Really need to see The VVitch already, and then Midsommar because that's got some real hype behind it. If anybody has any recommendations of strong titles in the genre I'd check them out if possible. The Lighthouse looks great too.

I watched The Ritual the day before yesterday, and that was probably the weakest folk horror I've seen so far, a fun 7/10 though, not shitty at all.

This doesn't really help you now, but John Hillcoat is soon to be releasing his new movie, a folk horror called Witchfinder.

Have you seen the Japanese classics like Kwaidan and Onibaba?

They are a bit dated but hugely influential.

I think I've heard of Onibaba actually, but they seem pretty obscure. Did you get them on DVD or illegal?

Anyone here feel that Reservoir Dogs is a bit overrated?

I'm a genuine fan of his first 5 films, maybe it's overrated, but I still like it a lot. But that said I do kinda think Tarantino himself is overrated.

Reactions: jimmy101
Yeah, just saw Reservoir Dogs for the first time last night. I liked it quite a bit & really enjoyed all of the characters. Just felt that the plot itself is a bit 'meh' & the film doesn't really go anywhere.

That being said, I really enjoyed how all of the main protagonists were all in some way fucked up people. Love it when there isn't a certified "good guy" in films.

Wow just now for the first time? I almost feel like telling you to go fuck yourself for trying to claim it's overrated when you only just now fucking watched it lmfao. Keep in mind it's his debut, very few directors come out with a debut that strong, but that said I've always preferred Pulp Fiction and in general the Kill Bill films are my fave of his.