The Official Movie Thread

Anyone here feel that Reservoir Dogs is a bit overrated?

i don’t love it or anything, but tarantino might be the most ripped off filmmaker of the last 30 years, so i think it’s pretty impossible for a new viewer to appreciate how fresh those movies were at the time. it’s like watching halloween or something, it’s so assimilated into our pop culture that you’ve basically already seen it even if you hadn’t seen it.

i don’t love it or anything, but tarantino might be the most ripped off filmmaker of the last 30 years, so i think it’s pretty impossible for a new viewer to appreciate how fresh those movies were at the time. it’s like watching halloween or something, it’s so assimilated into our pop culture that you’ve basically already seen it even if you hadn’t seen it.

Pretty much what I was about to say.

Wow just now for the first time? I almost feel like telling you to go fuck yourself for trying to claim it's overrated when you only just now fucking watched it lmfao. Keep in mind it's his debut, very few directors come out with a debut that strong, but that said I've always preferred Pulp Fiction and in general the Kill Bill films are my fave of his.
Yeah, it's a classic I know. Just never got around to seeing it until recently. Still a great film with loads of awesome scenes & sequences of dialogue. Just felt that it was just a bunch of events that transpired, rather than a story with a beginning & an end.

Yeah, it's a classic I know. Just never got around to seeing it until recently. Still a great film with loads of awesome scenes & sequences of dialogue. Just felt that it was just a bunch of events that transpired, rather than a story with a beginning & an end.

That's partly why it was so influential at the time. It placed style and tangential dialogue and music above plot, echoing the French noirs of JP Melville but in a much more fun way. It's a heist movie where you don't see the heist. It lands you with this group of guys with no names and no context and just revels in the madness that ensues.

Reactions: jimmy101
Just felt that it was just a bunch of events that transpired, rather than a story with a beginning & an end.
"the doom generation" does the same thing
except that it's totally done on purpose
the very first line of dialogue is the main female character saying "fuck my lighter's gone"
it's a distinctive-shape-novelty lighter thing
and the whole fucking movie she's using "regular" lighters to smoke a billion cigarettes
and then at the very end she realizes she left a cheap disposable lighter
[while fleeing the scene of a horribly-grisly multiple-homicide]
and then the very last second of the movie
is the serial killer guy pulling out the novelty lighter that the chick lost at the first second of the movie

there's no story-arc with a beginning-and-an-end
it's just documenting the gap of time between the girl loosing her lighter and getting it back

Reactions: jimmy101
also
it made Hollywood re-willing to do heist movies
without the popularity of reservoir dogs the "heist movies" that came afterword would never have been filmed

This is straight up bullshit. Point Break came out the year before Reservoir Dogs, and that movie actually showed the heists go down unlike Reservoir Dogs. If anything Reservoir Dogs was the last big heist movie until like 1995 when the subgenre had another big boom.

Re watched the Witch because of you guys and just reminded how unfulfilling that movie was. Funny that style had become formulaic for films like mother, hereditary and sounds like midsommar. Bleh trend

Re watched the Witch because of you guys and just reminded how unfulfilling that movie was. Funny that style had become formulaic for films like mother, hereditary and sounds like midsommar. Bleh trend

haven't seen the other two yet, but how is the witch similar to mother lol

Watched Mandy last night, it was fucking awesome. As well as this
91Q-pWtxfiL._SY445_.jpg