The Official Movie Thread

Same. Although I honestly never went wild for an Aronofsky film other than Pi. I saw The Fountain a few times after it came out, but haven't seen it in a long time. Since then, all his films have been one-time views for me, with little desire to watch again.

the wrestler is probably my favourite of his, the only thing i remember finding weak was the father-daughter stuff but i haven't seen it in forever. black swan is good trashy fun as well although i don't feel strongly about it. i liked the fountain back in 2006 but suspect i might hate it now heh. mother! is aight, requiem for a dream sucks, and i haven't seen pi or noah.

OK, back to the subject of folk horror: Midsommar is great. Not particularly original but visually stunning and with some incredible punch-in-the-gut moments which now seem to be becoming a trademark of Ari Aster.

He may just end up being a better director of dark dramas than horror.

Reactions: Einherjar86
OK, back to the subject of folk horror: Midsommar is great. Not particularly original but visually stunning and with some incredible punch-in-the-gut moments which now seem to be becoming a trademark of Ari Aster.

He may just end up being a better director of dark dramas than horror.

I think it's a really good film, particularly in the way it builds dread without going for jump scares and other tired horror conventions. It also makes excellent use of dramatic irony.

You say that like you shouldn't.

That's not what I meant. It's more of a statement that there's a movie that someone else posted about that I enjoyed as much as they seemed to. It doesn't happen to regularly in this thread since a lot of the talk is about horror movies which I don't watch.

Reactions: CiG
I think it's a really good film, particularly in the way it builds dread without going for jump scares and other tired horror conventions. It also makes excellent use of dramatic irony.

I actually thought it would have been a better film if
it hadn't gone down the Wicker Man path and concretely established the pagans as the bad guys. I was really hoping for ambiguity about whether the corrupt influence was the Horgas or the Americans. I think, for example, Aster could have had the Americans die of accidents due to their own stupidity/impatience/drug habits and their bodies displayed according to local traditions, while leaving open the question of whether foul play was involved.

Reactions: Einherjar86
i saw sling blade when it was a brand-new movie
i'd consider it a cult classic
but nobody considers my opinions valid, so...

I actually thought it would have been a better film if
it hadn't gone down the Wicker Man path and concretely established the pagans as the bad guys. I was really hoping for ambiguity about whether the corrupt influence was the Horgas or the Americans. I think, for example, Aster could have had the Americans die of accidents due to their own stupidity/impatience/drug habits and their bodies displayed according to local traditions, while leaving open the question of whether foul play was involved.

I agree, that would've been really cool.

New Rambo looks fun as fuck. Don’t give a fuck about the political sides people are taking but apparently it has a horror film gore-load and I have to appreciate that.

Reactions: CiG