The Official Movie Thread

Yeah I liked Once a lot. I think it's a perfect fit for Tarantino to actually make a movie about movies (and television) instead of just doing his usual genre pastiche thing. It feels organic, it feels lived-in, it feels like a labor of love, and the fact that it's kind of meandering and plotless much of the time works in its favor imo.

All the 2019 movies I've seen so far, ranked;

1. Glass
2. Dragged Across Concrete
3. John Wick 3
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Deadwood
6. Aniara
7. The Favorite
8. Avengers: Endgame
9. Rambo: Last Blood
10. Midsommar

Turns out I quite like every single movie I've seen this year, even Midsommar is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Yeah I liked Once a lot. I think it's a perfect fit for Tarantino to actually make a movie about movies (and television) instead of just doing his usual genre pastiche thing. It feels organic, it feels lived-in, it feels like a labor of love, and the fact that it's kind of meandering and plotless much of the time works in its favor imo.

Wow I saw the movie as the complete opposite. To me it felt plotless in a not-good way (largely filling space until he can get to his big ending - which made me physically angry btw). The Manson cult stuff was feeble. Tate was a vacuous and pointless character and Polanski (who would have been a fascinating character) isn't featured which I feel was a cop-out. Tarantino feels the need to shoehorn in glib defensive nods to #metoo and show-off references to Corbucci which add nothing to the story. Frankly it was only the acting power of Pitt and Dicaprio that saved this movie at all.

I also didn't feel it tapped into the insanity of Hollywood New Wave at all. Incidentally I highly recommend the book 'Easy Riders, Raging Bulls' for anyone who wants to read about how absolutely bonkers the scene really was.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom
Hustlers was funny and heartwarming. Great acting by Jlo and Constance Wu (her ability to cry on camera is astounding)

As someone who's parents sat him down and made him watch Star Wars growing up, I really don't wanna see The Rise of Skywalker when it comes out. Buuut, I feel like I gotta see how this dumpster fire all comes to an end. Buuut, I also don't wanna give those fuckers my money.

Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: CiG
Also, unlike Hereditary and (arguably) The Witch,
Midsommar is emphatically not supernatural. That constitutes a major difference for me. I actually think there are a lot of differences between Hereditary and Midsommar.
That's worth knowing, but for now I'm avoiding Midsommar anyway because of how bad I thought Hereditary was (watched it recently). Just can't see what people see in it. I guess it's mainly the supernatural thing - when that gets piled on more and more throughout, it starts to resemble a dream and I'm no longer invested. But even before that I couldn't suspend disbelief of what I was seeing in Hereditary, especially that death. Toni Collette was better than expected, but I found it hard to take that family of characters seriously. Seemed unintentionally goofy almost from the beginning.

The other recent one I had trouble with was The Ritual. The idea of grown men being confronted with their guilt and fears to the point that they pee their pants was genius. But to pile supernatural monster onto that just seemed wrong to me. Again, hard to take the characters seriously - fighting among themselves in a life and death situation.

I could also consider how little It: Chapter One did for me (I only watched it on a small screen on a plane, so maybe that doesn't help). I didn't care for the 1990 version much either, but the clown being a goofy Tim Curry with the villainous elements secondary just works way better for me.

So, is newer horrors being more contrived actually a thing or is it just me? Admittedly I didn't get a lot out of older supernatural/psychological-type horrors such as Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria or Poltergeist, but the difference is there's plenty of other good stuff from their respective decades to choose from.

when "once upon a time in Hollywood" is just referred to as just "once"
it really just makes me think of "once upon a time in mexico"

Just watched midsommar on my flight. I don't get why you guys like this shit, worst ensemble of characters in recent memory :lol: didn't Einsay he liked it because it was not horror cliched or something? Copied Texas chainsaw massacre For a whole death :lol:

Reactions: Bloopy
You dislike everything, rms 2.0.
Not everything, but I seem to like less and less new films released as time goes on (Same applies to music, but not TV shows funnily enough). I think it's because I know too well what I like. But partly also because it's difficult to find when what I like doesn't align with particular genres or everyone else's recommendations, and I don't really care to search extensively

I watched Mandy yesterday and thought it was decent. Even better than other recent ones I've thought were ok, such as Get Out, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, Train to Busan, Don't Breathe, and Saulnier's first 3 films. I'm probably never gonna think something as brutal as Don't Breathe is better than ok though, gonna need more comic relief for that.

Watching

72889_1_large.jpg

:err:

NW:

Wendigo

I’m a fan of wendigo legends and this one feels better than the Pet Semetary route.

It’s kind of a miserable movie. City folk hate outsiders, outsiders hate city folk.... husband and wife kind of hate each other... dad has to pretend to give a half a fuck his son exists... everybody hates the son because he’s the youngest brother on Malcolm in the middle.

The movie looks so goddamn dirty too, the grimy~ness isn’t very dissimilar from snowy deer processing days around these parts. I hate to admit the miserable summer here has me ready for cold nights, the smell of a fire pit, cheap beer, and deer blood.

The monster is straight up 90s costume ridiculous but still sort of jarring because he’s a real person moving.