The Official Movie Thread

Tonight

6485_2_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Another completely formulaic cash-in that I felt I had to watch, because the world is full of gullible idiots who keep saying every Star Wars movie is fantastic. All you need is an established brand and an algorithm, and the masses can't tell the real thing from a carbon copy. The machines have won.

star-wars-the-last-jedi-2017-8d-1360x768-e1513623589255.jpg

The remake wasn't terrible but seeing the original and knowing it was made 25(ish) years before on a much smaller budget with less Hollywood whizzbangery to me makes it more interesting. Junkman with HB Halicki was a good one too.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I haven't seen Vanishing Point for years, I should really buy it one day. I'm definitely a fan of the older car movies, Baby driver is about the only car movie of recent times I enjoyed.

For ridiculousness I still love the Canonball and Gumball Rally Movies and even real old ones like The Great Race.

Reactions: CiG
ad_astra_ver2.jpg

This was a terrible movie tbh. It's heavily indebted to Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Apocalypse Now, but it falls a lightyear short of its lofty ambitions. Brad Pitt journeys to the outer edge of the solar system in search of his father who has apparently gone rogue during a research mission to locate extraterrestrial intelligence (the Willard/Kurtz dynamic is obvious).But whereas Willard's encounters during his journey are meaningful and add to the story, Pitt's are empty and trite (a token action sequence on the Moon is completely tangential; even worse is the 'outer space rescue' episode during the trip to Mars). The peripheral characters like Donald Sutherland's aging veteran serve no wider purpose other than being narrative devices to provide Pitt's character with information on the search for his father. The climax, as Pitt approaches his father's location, aims for "understated" (which is fine as a goal) but instead all it achieves is "vacuous" with all the interesting philosophical questions pushed to the side in favour of a ridiculous outer space against-the-odds survival plot reminiscent of Gravity (which was also an average movie but at least didn't aim to be something it's not). Worst of all, the director has Pitt doing regular psychological reports via computer. It's such a lazy, spoonfed way to cover up crappy character development that as a device it would be embarrassing in a film student's work let alone in a Hollywood blockbuster.

Another completely formulaic cash-in that I felt I had to watch, because the world is full of gullible idiots who keep saying every Star Wars movie is fantastic. All you need is an established brand and an algorithm, and the masses can't tell the real thing from a carbon copy. The machines have won.

View attachment 21866
damn near everything in hollywood now is re-makes re-boots sequels prequels and based on novels or based on superheros
hollywood seems totally afraid to do original screenplays now
and every fucking movie gets a sequel because they want the franchises so bad that they won't make a movie where the ending totally precludes the possibility of a sequel except that scarlett johansen movie Lucy, (which was awesome BTW)

ad_astra_ver2.jpg

This was a terrible movie tbh. It's heavily indebted to Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Apocalypse Now, but it falls a lightyear short of its lofty ambitions. Brad Pitt journeys to the outer edge of the solar system in search of his father who has apparently gone rogue during a research mission to locate extraterrestrial intelligence (the Willard/Kurtz dynamic is obvious).But whereas Willard's encounters during his journey are meaningful and add to the story, Pitt's are empty and trite (a token action sequence on the Moon is completely tangential; even worse is the 'outer space rescue' episode during the trip to Mars). The peripheral characters like Donald Sutherland's aging veteran serve no wider purpose other than being narrative devices to provide Pitt's character with information on the search for his father. The climax, as Pitt approaches his father's location, aims for "understated" (which is fine as a goal) but instead all it achieves is "vacuous" with all the interesting philosophical questions pushed to the side in favour of a ridiculous outer space against-the-odds survival plot reminiscent of Gravity (which was also an average movie but at least didn't aim to be something it's not). Worst of all, the director has Pitt doing regular psychological reports via computer. It's such a lazy, spoonfed way to cover up crappy character development that as a device it would be embarrassing in a film student's work let alone in a Hollywood blockbuster.

i've seen every james gray movie to date, mostly because two lovers is one of my favourite films, but he's been on a downwards curve for a while now so i can't say i'm super excited about this.

Wow I saw the movie as the complete opposite. To me it felt plotless in a not-good way (largely filling space until he can get to his big ending - which made me physically angry btw). The Manson cult stuff was feeble. Tate was a vacuous and pointless character and Polanski (who would have been a fascinating character) isn't featured which I feel was a cop-out. Tarantino feels the need to shoehorn in glib defensive nods to #metoo and show-off references to Corbucci which add nothing to the story. Frankly it was only the acting power of Pitt and Dicaprio that saved this movie at all.

I also didn't feel it tapped into the insanity of Hollywood New Wave at all. Incidentally I highly recommend the book 'Easy Riders, Raging Bulls' for anyone who wants to read about how absolutely bonkers the scene really was.

This is how I felt about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood too. Thankfully Dicaprio can sell any movie with his acting and Brad Pitt was OK (you guys already know I don't think he's a great actor unless he's being funny). So many pointless scenes. The movie was way too long to lead up to THAT ending. Definitely could've gotten there a lot quicker. I guess when you're successful as fuck you can be good less frequently. I remember not liking his last movie too.

I recently watched the prequel (or sequel?) to Train to Busan. It's an animated movie called Seoul Station. A really bleak ass ending, but I really enjoyed it. The director has more animated movies that I'd love to check out. It seems thats what he typically does, and Train to Busan was just his first actual people movies.

i've seen every james gray movie to date, mostly because two lovers is one of my favourite films, but he's been on a downwards curve for a while now so i can't say i'm super excited about this.

I've never come across the guy before, but knowing how much you hate to be spoonfed as a viewer, there's a fair chance you'll hate it even more than me!

Thought this might be of interest to Memories of Murder fans:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/...html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

Mr. Lee has since confessed to investigators that he committed not only all nine murders but also raped and killed five other women in Hwaseong and nearby cities, Ban Gi-soo, a senior police investigator, said during a news conference on Wednesday. Separately, Mr. Lee also confessed to committing 30 rapes or attempted rapes, Mr. Ban said.

For decades, the Hwaseong serial murders have spawned such fear among South Koreans that they became the best-known cold cases in the country. The victims, ranging in age from 14 to 71, were strangled to death after their mouths were stuffed with their stockings, bras or socks. Some of the bodies were mutilated with umbrellas, forks or razor blades.

Lee Chun-jae emerged as a prime suspect in the killings after the police revealed last month that his DNA matched samples taken from at least four of nine killings that took place in Hwaseong, south of Seoul, between 1986 and 1991.

Although the 15-year statute of limitations on the last of the Hwaseong killings expired in 2006, the police refused to close their files, continuing to collect tips and analyze evidence collected from murder scenes. Recent advances in DNA analysis allowed them to extract DNA samples from evidence, which was not possible at the time of the killings.

That evidence finally led the officers to Mr. Lee, who was serving a life sentence in prison in Busan, a port city on the southeastern tip of South Korea, for raping and killing his 20-year-old sister-in-law in 1994. The 1994 killing is not among the 14 that the police said Mr. Lee had admitted to.

Mr. Ban said that the investigation of the crime spree is continuing, with officers trying to verify Mr. Lee’s confessions. But investigators have become increasingly confident about the authenticity of Mr. Lee’s confessions because he cooperated voluntarily, offering hand-drawn maps of some of the crime sites.

Damn so it's not just based on a confession, there's actually a link between him and the case, and because of this new DNA analysis his parole was denied. He could have been on the streets if not for this, wow.

Reactions: Einherjar86