The Official Movie Thread

Saw The Lighthouse this weekend. What a comically twisted film, haha. It was like Samuel Beckett meets H.P. Lovecraft, or maybe Ambrose Bierce... or something. I really don't know.

I want to see it based on all of the good things I've heard so far. Heard Pattinson puts in a solid performance too. The whole thing seems like it'll appeal to my sensibillities.

Why'd you spill your beans?

Reactions: Einherjar86
I'd definitely recommend seeing it. Very unlike The Witch, both in terms of narrative tension and overall tone. Whereas The Witch fit more easily into this new movement of folk horror, The Lighthouse looks more like a French art-house movie from the 1920s updated for a modern horror audience.

But even then, I don't really think of it as a horror film. Pattinson isn't bad, but Dafoe steals the show. He's a lot of fun to watch, and I occasionally found myself getting bored (not for very long) watching the sequences that focused solely on Pattinson's character.

The scenery and cinematography are both gorgeous; it's a pleasure to watch, even being in black and white. And the Beckett-element gave it a nice comedic edge. You could think of it as a spin on Waiting for Godot set on a remote island off the coast of Maine.

Reactions: CiG
images

Go see this bitches

61id7dm4b6L._SY741_.jpg

So fucking good. Don't usually get engrossed rewatching classic action movies I first saw as a kid but I just couldn't take my eyes off this one aside from a bit of a lull in the middle. I did see the director's cut which probably included some stuff better left cut. I was always haunted by the fatalism of the first two Terminator movies, the suggestion that all of this is not to stop the nuclear apocalypse or the robot uprising but just to give humanity a fighting chance in the wake of it. Managed not to cry at the smelter scene but I had to try very hard not to.

Seeing Dark Fate this week, probably.
Really wished they killed the franchise after this film.

Much like the Godfather franchise, Terminator really didn't benefit from a third instalment.

Agreed. Apparently there were even plans for a fourth Godfather to be made, but the film was scrapped after the death of Mario Puzo.