The Official Movie Thread

Have you seen the movie?
do i need to see it to know it's crap??

i mean, come on, it's pretty fucking obvious that a-Joker-without-Batman-movie would never have gotten into theaters if Heath Ledger hadn't died

Last edited:
Watched Birdman, interesting film, maybe a little too meta, but the filming techniques, jazzy soundtrack and pacing, and Keaton's performance more than made up for the fact that the plot felt like an underappreciated director crying into his milk. The anti-critic rant in the bar was great though.

As much as I liked Birdman and The Revenant, I'm not convinced that Iñárritu has done anything better than his first 3 films, especially 21 Grams. I guess now I just need to see Biutiful.

Watching this favorite tonight

2316_1_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
What's the verdict here on Venom? Looking through rotten tomatoes it looks like the critics trashed it but most of the viewers enjoyed it. Not really a fan of most of the marvel movies but this ones kind of been on my radar since it was announced.

I thought it was okay, definitely not top tier Marvel for me, but it's the first movie in the new Sony's Marvel Universe which sounds fun and worth investing some time in, Morbius being the next film coming up.

As far as Marvel movies go, you've seen Winter Soldier which is one of the better ones IMO, but if you haven't seen Black Panther yet I'd say go there next, I went in expecting to dislike it and ended up thinking it's easily one of the better ones.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
yeah Winter Soldier was cool. I think the first Thor might be my favorite. Havent seen The Black Panther or any of the other ones that came out last year or two, but yeah that ones been on my radar.

Are any of the DC movies any good? The last one i saw was the one where Superman was in the ER room lol.

I liked parts of Batman vs Superman, I liked Affleck in the role quite a lot too, but ultimately the DC films have been varying degrees of a letdown haha. Aquaman was okay but nothing great, Suicide Squad was basically trash, Wonder Woman is overrated as fuck, Justice League was meh, haven't seen Shazam yet though.

Oh and back to Marvel, I liked Dr. Strange a lot too.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Shazam is pretty fun tbh. Maybe a little ridiculous in the ending but I enjoyed it a bit, signed a guy not in love with capeshit.

I had been waiting on that one though. It’s been a long time ago my dad gave me some captain marvel comics.

edit: oh and I’m hoping Thor joins the GotG in their next film like they hinted at.

What's the verdict here on Venom? Looking through rotten tomatoes it looks like the critics trashed it but most of the viewers enjoyed it. Not really a fan of most of the marvel movies but this ones kind of been on my radar since it was announced.
venom was actually good
the post-credits-scene did a weird job of setting up a sequel (profesional movie critics hated this scene) but comic-book-dorks loved it
it only works as a set-up-for-a-sequel-scene if you are familiar with the character that's in the scene

it's Cletus Kasady - Wikipedia doing a scene that's clearly a Carnage (comics) - Wikipedia-movie-setup, but if you have no idea who-the-fuck cletus kasady is, the scene just looks like a weird homage to Hannibal Lecter

Last edited:
I liked parts of Batman vs Superman, I liked Affleck in the role quite a lot too, but ultimately the DC films have been varying degrees of a letdown haha. Aquaman was okay but nothing great, Suicide Squad was basically trash, Wonder Woman is overrated as fuck, Justice League was meh, haven't seen Shazam yet though.

i agree with this assessment of the DC movies

also
Fuck DC
i'm watching the Marvel movies

I saw Maleficent: Mistress of Evil last night. I never saw the first movie and didn't really plan to see this one either. But my friend invited me so I went and I was surprisingly entertained by it.

61id7dm4b6L._SY741_.jpg

So fucking good. Don't usually get engrossed rewatching classic action movies I first saw as a kid but I just couldn't take my eyes off this one aside from a bit of a lull in the middle. I did see the director's cut which probably included some stuff better left cut. I was always haunted by the fatalism of the first two Terminator movies, the suggestion that all of this is not to stop the nuclear apocalypse or the robot uprising but just to give humanity a fighting chance in the wake of it. Managed not to cry at the smelter scene but I had to try very hard not to.

Seeing Dark Fate this week, probably.