The Official Movie Thread

my problem with the Joker movie
is really just the fact that it exists
the joker works as a batman villain
but to have a movie with joker as the principal protagonist
that was just a bad idea to begin with

all the animated shit with Mark Hamil voicing the Joker
all that was gold, this new movie just didn't even try to look anything like that
didn't even try to mimic any previous incarnation of Joker
and tried way too fucking hard to mimic some movies that weren't even superhero-genre
Joker is an awesome batman villain
but what makes him work as an awesome superhero villain is the fact that he doesn't work as a principal protagonist
Joker without batman just doesn't work

Stoker is indeed very good. Much more than a Shadow of a Doubt redo.

27c082660bd8dbee9b3367d1f3b6497c.jpg

So Eli on Netflix is pretty cool. I know folk horror is the current fad but I thought this one stood pretty strong.

i really liked the hard left The Omen turn the film took at the end. And when he invert crucified the nuns, spun them around and immolated them, fuck that was badass!

also thought Discarnate was a pretty cool monster flick. Worth watching if you wanted the monsters from stranger things to be more graphically violent, I’d say.

Reactions: Einherjar86
So Eli on Netflix is pretty cool. I know folk horror is the current fad but I thought this one stood pretty strong.

i really liked the hard left The Omen turn the film took at the end. And when he invert crucified the nuns, spun them around and immolated them, fuck that was badass!

also thought Discarnate was a pretty cool monster flick. Worth watching if you wanted the monsters from stranger things to be more graphically violent, I’d say.

Psyched for both of these.

I've watched some really terrible horror movies on Netflix lately, but the one that stood head and shoulders above everything was the Iranian movie Under the Shadow. Ostensibly a haunted house movie, it's set during the 1980s war with Iraq, and focuses on a young mother who after associating with the 'wrong crowd' during the revolution has been blacklisted from completing her medical degree. She finds herself doubting her abilities/commitment as a mother and becomes further isolated after her husband is conscripted and Tehran comes under direct aerial bombing attack. Some really effective scares and a ton of really interesting social and political context (war, religious repression, misogynism, maternal guilt etc).