The Official Movie Thread

Watching

3311_1_large.jpg

Reactions: rms
I watched Out of the Furnace this afternoon, even though it was cool I'm glad I didn't buy it and just watched it on Stan. Woody Harrelson stole the whole show, he plays a great antagonist, slimy as fuck, but not enough screen time I felt.

IIRC this is the opening scene (or at least close to the start and definitely the first time you see Woody) haha:

His date pisses him off so he demands she give him her hotdog, he takes the sausage and shoves it down her throat, then some guy comes to defend her and gets beaten to shit, then Woody just leaves in his car.

Could have been a way better movie in the hands of a more interesting director.

Puppetmaster was a childhood favorite of my family's haha

the puppet master movie he posted on the previous page was written by s. craig zahler (the bone tomahawk, brawl in cell block 99 and dragged across concrete director). no idea if it's actually any good though lol

Reactions: CiG
I remember seeing the movie Troll when I was a kid, but this scene is the only thing the remains of my hazy recollection of it:

It just crossed my mind the other day, and I was able to find it rather easily.

Fucking board is going downhill, not obvious I'm referring to the most recent post ?? God damn

what the fuck are you even going on about?

Wainds has been referencing The Littlest Reich, the latest Puppet Master film, which Radical Thrasher posted on page 840, as a Zahler film. You’re talking about the original film but no one else was.

rms suffers from a debilitating condition in which he can't imagine that the way he perceives reality isn't the way everyone else perceives it. And if others don't perceive it that way, then it's their fault.

ad_astra_ver2.jpg

This was a terrible movie tbh. It's heavily indebted to Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Apocalypse Now, but it falls a lightyear short of its lofty ambitions. Brad Pitt journeys to the outer edge of the solar system in search of his father who has apparently gone rogue during a research mission to locate extraterrestrial intelligence (the Willard/Kurtz dynamic is obvious).But whereas Willard's encounters during his journey are meaningful and add to the story, Pitt's are empty and trite (a token action sequence on the Moon is completely tangential; even worse is the 'outer space rescue' episode during the trip to Mars). The peripheral characters like Donald Sutherland's aging veteran serve no wider purpose other than being narrative devices to provide Pitt's character with information on the search for his father. The climax, as Pitt approaches his father's location, aims for "understated" (which is fine as a goal) but instead all it achieves is "vacuous" with all the interesting philosophical questions pushed to the side in favour of a ridiculous outer space against-the-odds survival plot reminiscent of Gravity (which was also an average movie but at least didn't aim to be something it's not). Worst of all, the director has Pitt doing regular psychological reports via computer. It's such a lazy, spoonfed way to cover up crappy character development that as a device it would be embarrassing in a film student's work let alone in a Hollywood blockbuster.

I was just reading an interview with Lynne Ramsay where she said she was hoping to make her "epic environmental horror" after a couple of years writing it, but Ad Astra was a little close to home and has apparently killed her ambition for the time being. Fucking sucks to hear Ad Astra isn't very good in that case.

Bit from the interview;

For years she nursed a desire to make a big metaphysical science-fiction movie, with a plot freely adapted from Moby-Dick. This strikes me as the perfect text for a director whose career has been a saga of prolonged deep dives and sudden, splashy reappearances. She still thinks she would like to do it, but probably not for the foreseeable future. She has yet to catch Ad Astra, James Gray’s acclaimed space saga, starring Brad Pitt as an astronaut on an obsessive search for his father. But she suspects that it might have slightly stolen her thunder.

“Every director has a labour-of-love project,” she says. “It’s like Stanley Kubrick always wanting to do Napoleon. So maybe I’ll make it when I’m 80 or something. But Ad Astra does feel a wee bit close to home. So yeah, James Gray probably got there first.”

For years she nursed a desire to make a big metaphysical science-fiction movie, with a plot freely adapted from Moby-Dick. This strikes me as the perfect text for a director whose career has been a saga of prolonged deep dives and sudden, splashy reappearances. She still thinks she would like to do it, but probably not for the foreseeable future. She has yet to catch Ad Astra, James Gray’s acclaimed space saga, starring Brad Pitt as an astronaut on an obsessive search for his father. But she suspects that it might have slightly stolen her thunder.

“Every director has a labour-of-love project,” she says. “It’s like Stanley Kubrick always wanting to do Napoleon. So maybe I’ll make it when I’m 80 or something. But Ad Astra does feel a wee bit close to home. So yeah, James Gray probably got there first.”

I have been following updates on this movie (Mobius, Ramsay's proposed film, that is) for years, so super bummed to hear this. It's too bad that there's this unspoken cap on "metaphysical sci-fi" film--as though a director makes one, and others think "oh well, maybe in a decade." Fuck that, give us more metaphysical sci-fi films!

Also, Mobius is such a cool name for a sci-fi film adapted from Moby-Dick.