The Official Movie Thread

Watched that 2016 movie Little Sister today, nice heartfelt film. Only thing is it's set in 2008 and littered with Obama | Biden campaign images and dialogue and I can't tell if the director is a die-hard fan of Obama or if he's being subversive by pointing out that the whole #change thing was a scam, especially in the context of militarism.

Dune news:

Director Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Sicario, Blade Runner 2049) is currently working on his adaptation of Dune, the popular science fiction novel by Frank Hebert that was first brought to the big screen by David Lynch in 1984. That movie doesn’t come out for another thirteen months (12/18/2020), but Warner Bros. must really like what they’ve seen of it so far, as the news came out this week that a screenwriter has already been hired to work on the second Dune movie. That job is going to screenwriter Jon Spaihts, the sole screenwriter credited for 2016’s Passengers, who also co-wrote the Alien prequel Prometheus, Marvel’s Doctor Strange, and Villeneuve’s first Dune movie. Spaihts had been working for HBO Max as the showrunner of a Dune: The Sisterhood series, but he’s stepping down from that responsibility to focus on the second Dune instead. There have been reports in the past that the first new Dune movie will only adapt about half of the eponymous novel, so it may be more accurate to describe the second Dune movie not so much as a “sequel” as a continuation of the same adaptation (sort of like IT and IT: Chapter Two). Denis Villeneuve’s all-star Dune cast includes Javier Bardem, Dave Bautista, Josh Brolin, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson (as Lady Jessica), and Timothée Chalamet (as Paul Atreides).

Reactions: CiG
Yes the original Dune book is a lot to fit into one movie, I'm all for it being split into two.

I actually bought a copy of Dune published in French when I was studying the language and to my surprise when it arrived it ended at the point where Paul and Jessica flee into the desert, ie what Herbert calls the end of Part 1 in his novel. I wonder if they will follow that structure in the movies.

midsommar-movie-poster-md.jpg

Fucking mesmerizing, and a surprisingly convincing concept for a weirdo cultist society. Both the setting and the cult had such an alien beauty. Also loved all the bizarre rituals. Only minor complaint is it devolves too much into generic horror movie tropes toward the end.

51CCKZWGPDL._SY445_.jpg

I went into this kinda thinking "ugh, I hope this isn't lame like so many historical dramas." Way exceeded my expectations. Just beautiful and meditative. What makes it really interesting as a historical interpretation is how the relative absence of dialogue gets you deeper into the characters' heads, hinting at their inner monologues and the subtle effects of the environment upon them. The Age of Exploration seems like such an overtold story, yet watching this gave me a new appreciation for how utterly weird that whole era was.

What makes it really interesting as a historical interpretation is how the relative absence of dialogue gets you deeper into the characters' heads, hinting at their inner monologues and the subtle effects of the environment upon them.

This was definitely my favourite aspect of the film. Usually insanity is presented in a visceral way, but Herzog decided to welcome us inside the subjects and normalise the insanity by letting it slowly unravel. Love him for that.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
Tonight

22407_2_large.jpg