The Official Movie Thread

Fucking board is going downhill, not obvious I'm referring to the most recent post ?? God damn

that was obvious. my thought process was, oh hey rms likes puppet master, maybe he'd be interested to know that the new puppet master movie (which rad thrash also just posted about) was written by zahler. i thought that was also obvious, but

and yeah ramsay's logic there is fucking dumb, who cares what other people are making? if anything she should be thinking "if james fucking gray--literally the most old-fashioned filmmaker currently working--can make a big budget sci-fi movie then surely i can".

i'm really intrigued by ad astra though. gray is a guy whose whole career has been built on old-timey 1930s melodramas and melancholy seventies crime pictures, and has spent the bulk of his career working with joaquin (with some help from marky mark)--kinda hard to imagine pitt or tommy lee jones in any of his films. it's just altogether a super weird project for him, definitely has lots of trainwreck potential (especially as i think his last two movies have each been weaker than the last) but could also be something quite unique.

Last edited:
Reactions: Einherjar86 and CiG
Speaking of metaphysical sci-fi: http://www.filmneweurope.com/news/region/item/119110-fne-at-connecting-cottbus-2019-vesper-seeds?fbclid=IwAR2VAL-fMBDwRDnamem76oPsKJQgWef2PC4eTJYgNODvrevMf92dzFE2Ywo

Never heard of this Semper fellow but Buozyte is a phenomenal director. Vanishing Waves (2012) is one of the best sci-fi films in recent memory. Her debut The Collectress (2009) is terrific as well.

A new boom of weird sci-fi would be most welcome. There needs to be directors as crazy as Roeg and Zulawski were in the 70's doing things like The Man Who Fell to Earth and On the Silver Globe.

Reactions: Einherjar86 and CiG
Speaking of metaphysical sci-fi, has anyone seen A.T. White's Starfish? It's been on my list for a while, but waiting to hear some thoughts (no spoilers, please).

Oscars: International Film Race Puts Spotlight on Extreme Female Characters

Some very interesting quotes in there. I'm liking May el-Toukhy more each day.

In the era of #MeToo and Time's Up, when stories of positive, aspirational women are on the rise, many of the most compelling foreign-language Oscar contenders are mining a darker vein of the female psyche. These ladies are nobody's idea of a role model.

"People say: 'At this moment in time when, finally, there is a craving for female characters, why would you want to do a film about this woman doing these horrible things?' " notesQueen of Heartsdirector May el-Toukhy. "But if we want to have more female leading characters, we have to create women that are nuanced, subtle and sometimes dark."

Reactions: CiG
The worst aspect of identity politics in cinema for me isn't all the LGBTQ+/female leads/enforced racial minority casting/etc it's that they aren't willing to write compromised or morally ambiguous characters from those demographics. What makes me love all the straight/white/male characters over the years was never that they were perfect people.

the puppet master movie he posted on the previous page was written by s. craig zahler (the bone tomahawk, brawl in cell block 99 and dragged across concrete director). no idea if it's actually any good though lol

I'll tell you what dude, really cool movie. Got traces of Zahlers fingerprints all over it, from some of the dialogue to the extreme violence. As a whole the story is pretty weak and the characters are all lames, but you don't watch a Puppet Master movie for the human characters. Lots of gore and great kills , if thats your thing, or you like the franchise in general then its worth checking out. They set it up for more sequels of course. Had to go back to the originals after.

Tonight

12369_1_large.jpg

what the fuck are you even going on about?

Wainds has been referencing The Littlest Reich, the latest Puppet Master film, which Radical Thrasher posted on page 840, as a Zahler film. You’re talking about the original film but no one else was.
radical was ya mushroom growing doofus! Haha

rms suffers from a debilitating condition in which he can't imagine that the way he perceives reality isn't the way everyone else perceives it. And if others don't perceive it that way, then it's their fault.
I actually do , it's not their fault, but hard to imagine a brain that needs as much information to connect the dots as you do!

that was obvious. my thought process was, oh hey rms likes puppet master, maybe he'd be interested to know that the new puppet master movie (which rad thrash also just posted about) was written by zahler. i thought that was also obvious, but

Confused the fuck out of me mang, have a good one

Anyone seen Herzogs family romance ? Hard to find where it's at in the world

lol i have no idea whether you'll love or despise that one (assuming you haven't seen it before?). one of the most polarising movies ever probably.

2nd time around for me, I keep having reoccuring dreams about the video game Dr. Mario and early this morning for some reason it made me want to rewatch it. Also it can't hurt to get a little hyped for I'm Thinking of Ending Things which is supposed to be out next year on Netflix.

I watched High Life on a plane. I thought it was ok I guess, but the premise was better than the result. I'm not sure it needed to be non-linear. On flights I always seem to pick the movie with scenes that I hope the passengers behind me don't see. :eek:

Speaking of metaphysical scifi, anyone seen this?

high-life-dutch-movie-poster.jpg

I was a fan, although it’s far from a perfect film. Did a write-up on it, which I can share when I’m home from traveling (has spoilers though).

2nd time around for me, I keep having reoccuring dreams about the video game Dr. Mario and early this morning for some reason it made me want to rewatch it. Also it can't hurt to get a little hyped for I'm Thinking of Ending Things which is supposed to be out next year on Netflix.

I read the novel over the summer—very excited for the adaptation.