The Official Movie Thread

lol yeah, usually a red flag innit. same deal with stuff like THE BIG SHORT and AMERICAN HUSTLE.

Yeah same vibe. I got the feeling Affleck was trying to bite the Coen bros too but I'm not sure why.

The cast bothered me too, sure there were a few heavy hitters in there but for me it was mostly a series of "hey that person from that thing" but it lacked gravitas. Just a bunch of half-familiar faces in campy costumes, and all the break-the-fourth-wall jabs at Hollywood were cringe as fuck. Like when the Alan Arkin character tells Affleck he can't pretend to be the director, he's at best a co-producer or some shit like that, and Affleck gets all shifty eyed. Corny shit! :lol:

Just finished watching Supermarket Woman:

51SDF-cOtHL._SY445_.jpg

Juzo Itami is the master of taking dumb everyday mundane subjects and making them exciting and hilarious. Anybody who likes Tampopo should check this one out too, very similar energy. Basically it's about a guy named Goro who runs a failing supermarket and randomly bumps into an old friend who has all this seemingly meaningless insight into how grocery stores are run based on her experience as a housewife (eg pointing out small things like having red lighting in the beef section of a grocery store so the meat looks more rich and vibrant) and so he gets her to help him turn his shop around and out-compete a newly opened supermarket who are offering crazy deals.

Ds5IIiYU0AEA7J-.jpg

It sounds so silly but it's amazing and Nobuko Miyamoto rules forever.

Tonight

72573_1_large.jpg

This was a fucking mess. Hilarious really.

Tons of continuity problems, written by someone who obviously didn’t speak English very well...

Things I noticed barely even paying attention.

Woman goes to take a shower.
Gets naked and in the shower stall (which is in this decrepit horrible cabin)
Guy kisses her nipple for like a second.
She gets startled. Her clothes are back on and her hair isn’t wet.

another woman takes a shower and runs from the shower stall after discovering a secret room full of bodies. She only has a button up flannel shirt on. As soon as she’s outside she’s fully dressed including high waisted 80s jeans and boots but her hair is wet.

this Troll 2 line... “SHAMAN BELONGS IN THE YETI AND ALL THAT OTHER FIXIN!!! WE’RE 1986!!! (I rewound this twice to make sure I correctly heard)

And yes, one of the survivors asks for a body count at the end of the film

33F46DD3-B580-45AB-B9EA-72C7D9ED0488.jpeg

Fatman was awesome.

Edit: Watching...

MV5BZDA0YjVkOWItMTAwZC00NGIwLThjZjAtNzNmODEwZmJjZDUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY3Nzc0OTk@._V1_.jpg

(aka Hell Is Where the Home Is)

Mank is the best thing David Fincher has ever done.

lol nah.

Edit 2: Just finished watching that 2019 JCVD movie We Die Young. @RadicalThrasher and @TechnicalBarbarity you guys might wanna check this one out if you haven't already. Basically JCVD is a Afghanistan war veteran working as a mechanic in a majority Mexican part of Washington and he becomes close with a young dealer and collector for MS-13.

Thought it was pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Watched Brandon Cronenberg's Possessor tonight. Really good, felt some Beyond the Black Rainbow vibes, especially re. visuals. Overall better film than Beyond though, I thought--more of a cohesive plot and good narrative pacing. Also,

fucking devastating ending; and I enjoyed the ambiguity, unsure how much had been engineered in advance and how much Tasya concocted on her own. Either way, wild shit.

chaw's film of the year

Reactions: Einherjar86
"Blood as the lubricant, flesh as the disease, and sex, of course, in the equation of violent penetrations with the penis, forever engorged, stupid, mute, and enraged. To say I loved Possessor is not quite right. Closer to the point, it haunts me. It's not that it's infected me so much as it's diagnosed me. The best art can do that."

Damn. I agree, too. That movie gets under your skin.

Man, Terminator: Dark Fate was a mess.

The CGI motion blur action scenes were fucking garbage, nothing felt like it had any gravitas whatsoever. Just throw the humans around like ragdolls and explode everything around them as enhanced lady fights like Jet Li on crack. I swear as much as I like The Matrix they have almost singlehandedly ruined action movies with the whole constant slow motion bullshit, which is then piled on even more because every movie now has to be like a Marvel production.

The woman sent from the future to protect the Mexican woman has some of the worst facial expressions I've ever seen (which is a shame because I like her as a physical presence) and so much of her dialogue is straight up trash ("You're not the mother of some man who will save the future, you are the future.") but that's not her fault I guess. She got the lines she was given and they stunk. At the start when she first tries to rescue the Mexican woman Dani and her brother, she shoots her brother a scornful look when he tells her to drive faster (lol dumb Mexican guy don't mansplain to the Aryan cyborg lady).

Arnold being shoehorned into the movie was groanworthy but expected I guess. Tim Miller is a fucking faggot and Cameron has become a hack.