The Official Movie Thread

I would agree that Annihilation had better production than The Void. Alex Garland has an eye that's tough to match. I honestly enjoyed the acting in The Void though. And yeah, the end was spectacular (I also loved the visual aesthetics of "the void"--i.e. the visions).

If you're a fan of the Annihilation movie, you should check out the VanderMeer novel on which it's based. It's different than the film, and so brilliantly weird.

I'll keep an eye out for the book, cheers. I think one of The Void's biggest strengths is how it created its own world while utilizing all the rules of our world, and slowly turned itself inside-out. I love watching a film impose its logic on reality in a way that is less jarring and more incremental. Annihilation kind of just throws you into it which serves more of a science fiction angle, whereas The Void tries to gaslight the audience in a really fun way that also makes it more horrifying.

Speaking of The Void, their next film looks a lot less serious but super unique and fun:

Something to look forward to in early 2021.

Reactions: Einherjar86
You're totally right that Annihilation works more as science fiction, whereas The Void falls more appropriately into horror.

Thanks for that trailer also--looks fucking ridiculous (in a good way).

Reactions: CiG
Recently watched a Walter Hill movie I've been meaning to scratch off my list for ages, Extreme Prejudice. Has a billion familiar faces if you're into 80's action movies (even has the guy who gets killed in Commando as Arnold says "WRONG!" lol). Maybe the coldest most hard-nosed performance I've ever seen Nick Nolte give, and it had the always amazing William Forsythe:

Watched earlier....

Hvpq44g.jpg

@CiG if you haven't seen this then get on it.....highly recommended

Holy shit the main character is Mac's dad in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

View attachment 27091 View attachment 27092

Yeah definitely need to see that shit, trailer was fucking awesome.

Having a serious case of deja vu or something. Watched another random movie yesterday and the same fucking guy was in it:err:

100940_1_large.jpg

@CiG this one was pretty trashy, think you'd like it

Watched The Dark and the Wicked. Real nice slow-burn horror, bleak and creepy as hell. Fell apart for me in the third act though; the resolution didn't pack enough of a punch, and it felt like an underdeveloped explanation.