The Official Movie Thread

Watching

36395_3_large.jpg

:err:

oh that's kinda sad, he wasn't that old either. i was never a huge fan but i discovered him in my most formative phase and the likes of '3 iron' and 'spring, summer...' were completely new, unprecedented experiences for me at the time. i should probably get around to 'the isle'.

Watching Castle Freak 2020.
Holy fucking shit why does this exist?

might be as fucked as the original actually. Hats off

Damn, I kinda want to see this. Not always a huge fan of the mondo-level gore and excessive sexual violence stuff, but I'm intrigued by the recent turn to Lovecraftian horror. And The Void comparison caught my attention.

I wouldn't say I'm excited, mostly just intrigued. As far as I'm concerned, no Lovecraftian horror of the past five years has surpassed The Void in terms of quality; but I'm always curious to see films that broach the themes and style.

I'd also be interested to hear if others have recent Lovecraftian horror picks that they think are better than The Void. Obviously this is a matter of personal taste to a degree, but there are very likely films I've overlooked. I wouldn't stake my reputation on it, and am interested in exploring more.

Good point: what counts as Lovecraftian could be an entire conversation itself. But I'd say yes, Annihilation counts.

I actually think The Void is better than Annihilation, but that might also have to do with my preference for the book over the movie. Adaptation aside though, The Void gets more directly at the sheer horror of the materiality of embodiment, which I think is one of the most effective aspects of Lovecraftian style--that our bodies are already nonhuman, somehow.

Annihilation broaches the same theme, but its style feels different. Instead of horror, it goes for something more like surrealism--and a sometimes aesthetically attractive surrealism at that. In other words, whereas The Void sees the body as a potentially repulsive, nonhuman thing, Annihilation sees the body as a potentially nonhuman yet beautiful thing. There's a beauty to the human body discovering its otherness in Annihilation.

There's value in both approaches, but for me The Void taps into the more horrifying elements of that concept.

Reactions: CiG
That's a good way of contrasting the two films and their styles. I agree with all of that except that I personally preferred Annihilation, primarily because I think Annihilation was better made and better acted. The throwback style of The Void tickled my nostalgia and it was definitely more horrifying and disgusting but some of the b-movie elements took me out of the experience somewhat. The final act of The Void was fucking fire though.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I would agree that Annihilation had better production than The Void. Alex Garland has an eye that's tough to match. I honestly enjoyed the acting in The Void though. And yeah, the end was spectacular (I also loved the visual aesthetics of "the void"--i.e. the visions).

If you're a fan of the Annihilation movie, you should check out the VanderMeer novel on which it's based. It's different than the film, and so brilliantly weird.

Reactions: CiG